Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Is there a replacement A.C. power module available for 1981 to 1987 cadillacs

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nyshark 
#1 ·
Seems every cadillac made between 1981 and 1987 has a faulty A.C. power module I am asking the most knowledgeable people to try and find a new replacement A.C. power module its crazy that they have a new equal or better replacement part for just about everything else in these cars except the A.C. power module it does not pay to even replace it with a pick and pull part because 90% of the time it will not work at all or is on the way out also . Can we sign a petition or something ?

#2 ·
I've heard stories of old blower motors supposedly pulling extra current and breaking otherwise good power modules. Not sure but it might be an issue for you.

An improvement would be a small computer fan with some kind of timout device to keep the fins cool after engine shutdown.

#3 ·
What's the AC power module? I've had the fan power module go before and it's only here that I've heard of a blower motor pulling more current causing that but I don't know if that's the case or not. When I pulled my module out it was a junk yard one and I never changed it before now so I think it's just one of the electronics in it that dies over time.

#4 ·
Yes the cause of the problem with the modules is the failing blower motor drawing to much and causing the resistor circuit to slowly fail one speed at a time until only high speed is working then hey guess what? that to comes to an end , But the modules are not the best to begin with I owned an 81 sedan deville in 1984 and i replaced the module in that one back then it was $400 bucks from the dealer , now I have a classic that I really enjoy I have the AC and blower jumped with remote switches concealed under dash , I tried and tried to locate a new module The ECC works great I would think there would be an after market equal that could fit perfect in the old modules location and work off the voltage from the ECC , I do know one thing I Was shopping online and the more I clicked the higher the prices were getting for the same part .Has anyone else noticed this to happen its like they know you really must need it and cannot get one so now they want to squeeze you for it lol One site claims to have a new GM module exact fit for $430 . I will stick with my jumped out switches for that amount I maybe use the AC about 30 to 40 x a year It is not as if i must have it but it would be nice to have the car showroom .no damage was done jumping the blower and AC clutch engage circuit ,just have thermostat call switched , it can be removed like it was never there in less than 1 minute. thanks for the input you guys are the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.