Cadillac neewbie here. 1984 deville.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dhambley1984
  • 1 Post By cadillac_al
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cadillac neewbie here. 1984 deville. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello there, I Just got a 1984 cadillac coupe deville for 500 dollars. and, it was running! i purchased it ...
    dhambley1984 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac coupe deville

Cadillac neewbie here. 1984 deville.

Hello there, I Just got a 1984 cadillac coupe deville for 500 dollars. and, it was running!
    i purchased it from a local salvage yard who sells the running vehicles instead of smashing them. the prev owner just got tired of it sitting around is all.

The body has 0 dents, paint is faded. very minor rust on the roof. Interior is kinda ugly. cracked leather seats but that's it.
    I Have a few questions/ issues i need some help with. i have no idea how to work on these things. so let me explain.

I have changed nothing on this car since i bought it. (Yesterday) Every once in awhile it wont start like it's getting no fuel. i can spray some carb cleaner down into the tb, and it will start for a second, then crank awhile then start. but otherwise, it fires up in a second.

The fuel guage also puzzles me, it shows no gas most of the time, then sometimes it goes to my fuel level, then slowly drops to empty.

the engine is a HT4100. i beleive its the original and not a replacement. but im not sure how to check.

also. my electric seats dont move. the motor makes noise, but no movement. And the CC doesnt work.

Now my questions are how to fix these issues, or atleast a lead on how to fix them. Any help is apriciated.
    I also want to know the quality of this motor, is it an ok motor? i wont be supercharging it or anything. just stock.
    i will post a picture once i find my camera. thanks.
    nebulosity likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Congrats on the purchase of your new coupe deville

How does the climate control not work? If you can put up what it does (can you hear the blend doors moving when you go below or above room temp, does the fan work, etc.) We can help you get it working.
    As for the power seat motor making noise, but not moving, personally I'd just replace the power seat frame, but those are easily available at the junkyards here and cheap (you can use a power seat frame from any early 80s-92 rear wheel drive cadillac). I'm sure one of the other guys here will go through the procedure for fixing the seat frame on your car.
    As for the 4100, it is not a good motor. The originals lasted for only a few years of use (about 60k miles max, although there are ones that are still around and run fine) but the replacement engines are more reliable. There is not really any way to make them more powerful, and your best "bang for the buck" performance mod is swapping in another engine. On the plus side, they do give good mileage.
    As for not starting....you can pull codes through the climate control on the HT4100s. It may help with figuring out what's wrong with it not starting. I'm sure one of the guys here with one knows the procedure.

----------

Also, since the car is unknown, change your oil, trans fluid and filter (drain and replace, not flush), and coolant (very important to change every year on the 4100) ASAP. Also, replace the belts on the engine because they're probably pretty old.

Re: Cadillac neewbie here. 1984 deville.

climate control as in heat/ac? it works fine. accually the compresser is new. (Found an old one in the trunk with receipt) and i plan to change the oil and drank the coolant. (but the coolant looks pretty good. still do it?) the belts are still decent shape. although i'm missing one on the driver side, goes to a little pully with what looks like a filter on it. (bolted to the front of the motor driver side) with a hose that runs behind the intake.

And i plan not to do any upgrades on this motor. it's going to be the car i drive to work untill i can afford a new one. then it will be a restoration project. thanks for the input though. very helpfull.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by dhambley1984
    climate control as in heat/ac? it works fine. accually the compresser is new. (Found an old one in the trunk with receipt) and i plan to change the oil and drank the coolant. (but the coolant looks pretty good. still do it?) the belts are still decent shape. although i'm missing one on the driver side, goes to a little pully with what looks like a filter on it. (bolted to the front of the motor driver side) with a hose that runs behind the intake.

And i plan not to do any upgrades on this motor. it's going to be the car i drive to work untill i can afford a new one. then it will be a restoration project. thanks for the input though. very helpfull.
    Change the coolant anyways.
    If CC did not stand for climate control, what did it stand for? Cruise control?
    As for the accessory that's missing a belt, I'm betting that is the A.I.R. pump.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The GM replacement engines have a tag on the block on the passenger side. Visible from under the car.

when i said cc i ment cruise. sorry. lingo is not to good.
    and A.I.R Pump, what's that? does it cause any issues not being functional? and i will check the block in the morning.
    As for more info on the car, if this helps, it was used by the department of defence. at the little rock arkansas air force base.
    Tags all over it confirming this. was last registered to them in 2012. and has a sirene that is professionally wired in. (Small toggle switch under the dash.)
    if that helps with anything.

----------

Also forgot to mention, when its running, if you press on the gas quickly, it will bog down. but if you ease on it. runs fines.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If the pump you mention is on the driver side, its the vacuum pump which is belt driven and MUST be there to provide good vacuum to the power brakes. Change the coolant and get the sealant pellets from any GM parts dept. They come in a cardboard clear plastic box. Break them up to powder before opening the box. Add the powder before adding the fresh coolant. Have the climate controls on max cold (60 degrees) when you add the new coolant. You want no sealant in the heater core! NO START. The intermittent no start could be the oil pressure sender wiring just above the oil filter. Loose or damaged connections can cause the fuel pump to not turn on at times. FUEL GAUGE. Look up under the rear bumper, you will see a multi wire connector at the gas filler neck. Unplug it and clean the pins shiny then apply dielectric grease to the pins and plug it back together. That could be your intermittent no start as well, one of those wires provides voltage to the in tank fuel pump. Stock engine had black tin valve covers, most replacement engines had finned black aluminum covers. CRUISE CONTROL. The vacuum servo sits just behind the throttle body on drivers side. Its a large black rubber and silver metal unit about 6 inches in diameter. Make sure the chain to it is connected at both ends and the 2 hoses to it are intact and not cracked.

so i just went and pulled some codes from the cc. i got.

What do these mean? and how do i correct them?
    also my valve covers are black and what do you mean by finned?

----------

Also, my valve covers are square looking. the driver side has a indention down it with the HT4100 sticker it looks like. (kinda dirty)

----------

e22 is open tps signal correct? what does this mean?
    and 53 is distributer signal interupted. does that mean my dist is going out?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

You really should invest in a factory shop manual to make life much easier on yourself. It sounds like there are several problems and yes your dist is going out. That will cause plenty of starting issues if it is intermittent. Good luck on the good deal on your first Caddy (even though 84 has about the worst reputation)
    nebulosity likes this.

could it be my dist wiring/plug wires? they are in bad shape.

Please fellas, we do not know if these codes are current or history! a code 52 on this era of Cadillac could mean the distributor signal was interrupted when the timing was last verified. A perfectly normal occurrence. No need to pull codes unless you have the Factory service manual to diagnose them. With the manual you can erase all these codes and see if any, at all, come back. If they come back, then they are current and need attention. By finned, I mean the cover is aluminum and has cast in fins like an old Corvette. Yours being black with a depressed silver line means most likely your engine is original. Valve covers are not square? Did you get the belts replaced? With no vacuum pump operation, the power brakes are unsafe to drive.

well right now its having trouble starting, it smells of bad gas and i have to spray starting fluid into the bowls where the injectors sit to start it. i cannot seem to locate the map sensor, where do i find it?

The MAP sensor hose runs along the passenger side fender brace rod. The hose connects to the back bottom of the throttle body with a short length of rubber hose, then a black plastic tubing goes back to the passenger side of the firewall. The sensor is behind the glove box liner. Remove the liner and you will see the plastic tubing plugged into the sensor. Rare for a MAP to fail. More likely is the supply hose falls off the throttle body or gets kinked or gets water inside the hose because it is no longer attached to the fender brace. You need to buy, borrow or steal a factory service manual even if the repair is beyond your knowledge. Armed with the manual a good technician can diagnose this car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.