Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1978 fleetwood steering: excessive loose between pitman arm and center link

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  the APEMAN 
#1 ·
Hello to all the cadillac's rwd owners and forum contributors.

In the last days, I've made a check of my steering system of my 1978 fleetwood brougham d'elegance. In fact there is an excessive loose in my steering. After a short inspection under the car, I've seen that the problem is linked to the junction of the pitman arm and the center link. The junction need to add some grease every X miles, but I think mine hasn't seen some grease for more than 2 decades (or more...). as a consequence, there is that loose.

On the shop manual, I cannot find a desricption of this junction, and I don't know of is made this junction and the axle. Is there a seal between the pitman axle and the center link? Or is tere anything else that could be repalce to solve my problem ? Or do I simply need to grease the axle and tighten more ?

If you have any idea, just let me know !
thanks for your help !
JeFF

#5 ·
Note that there are two different center links. One with the hole for the steering damper, one without. The one with the hole is more expensive. Do your inner/outer tie rods and your idler arm at the same time. You can put everything together on the floor, and install it all at one time. Measure the tie rods carefully, and you can set the new ones close so you can drive it for an alignment.

#8 ·
Ok thanks.
Just to be sure: what is the difference between inner and outer tie rods? (I think I'm confused with the tie rods !)

If I well understand for a side of the car:
from the center link to the wheel, you have: the inner rod, the adjustable cap, and the tie rod end.
The center link is hold with the idler arm, and connected to the steering gear with the pitman arm.

So If this is correct, the 2 tie rod ends for left and right side of the car are the same, just like the 2 inner rods and the idler arm is specific. Is it correct ?
just to be sure and to prevent a mistake when ordering my parts...

#13 ·
Be aware that if you replace the tie rods and do not get the turns depth exact the car will be a hazard on the road until it gets a wheel alignment.

Not so for a center link or idler arm.

If you are going to do enough work to need a wheel alignment I suggest a good visual inspection of the upper A arm bushings and all ball joints. Nothing works than having an alignment monkey tell you the car needs 500 bux worth of crap before it can be aligned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.