1978 fleetwood steering: excessive loose between pitman arm and center link
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1978 fleetwood steering: excessive loose between pitman arm and center link in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello to all the cadillac's rwd owners and forum contributors. In the last days, I've made a check of my ...
    jeff_herry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 EFI fleetwood brougahm d'elegance

1978 fleetwood steering: excessive loose between pitman arm and center link

Hello to all the cadillac's rwd owners and forum contributors.

In the last days, I've made a check of my steering system of my 1978 fleetwood brougham d'elegance. In fact there is an excessive loose in my steering. After a short inspection under the car, I've seen that the problem is linked to the junction of the pitman arm and the center link. The junction need to add some grease every X miles, but I think mine hasn't seen some grease for more than 2 decades (or more...). as a consequence, there is that loose.

On the shop manual, I cannot find a desricption of this junction, and I don't know of is made this junction and the axle. Is there a seal between the pitman axle and the center link? Or is tere anything else that could be repalce to solve my problem ? Or do I simply need to grease the axle and tighten more ?

If you have any idea, just let me know !
    thanks for your help !
    JeFF

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 1978 fleetwood steering: excessive loose between pitman arm and center link

That joint is built into the center link. Replacement makes the problem go away.

'78 can be a goofy year to get front end parts for due to the US converting to the metric system Know your production date when ordering parts.

Thanks Ape Man for your reply.

Do you mean I need to replace the center link or is that join sold as a specific part?
    See you later, and thanks again !
    Jeff

Yes, you replace the whole center link. Sorry I don't make sense. Been up over 24 hours.............

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Note that there are two different center links. One with the hole for the steering damper, one without. The one with the hole is more expensive. Do your inner/outer tie rods and your idler arm at the same time. You can put everything together on the floor, and install it all at one time. Measure the tie rods carefully, and you can set the new ones close so you can drive it for an alignment.

That's super guys !
    thanks for your advices and your help.
    I will replace the center link and the tie rods.
    Have a good day.
    JeFF

I meant "Do your inner/outer tie rods and your idler arm at the same time" as the center link. I'll edit my post above...

Ok thanks.
    Just to be sure: what is the difference between inner and outer tie rods? (I think I'm confused with the tie rods !)

If I well understand for a side of the car:
    from the center link to the wheel, you have: the inner rod, the adjustable cap, and the tie rod end.
    The center link is hold with the idler arm, and connected to the steering gear with the pitman arm.

So If this is correct, the 2 tie rod ends for left and right side of the car are the same, just like the 2 inner rods and the idler arm is specific. Is it correct ?
    just to be sure and to prevent a mistake when ordering my parts...

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Inner tie rod ends are the ones that go on the inside of the tie rod, outer ends connect to the outside at the wheel (spindle?)

With the car being from 78 you may want to get the tie rod center too (heard it called a sleeve sometimes, not sure the real name)

Ok, so it is the same part for the left and right side of the car !
    Thanks.
    JeFF

Check rockauto.com for part numbers and diagrams. I would recommend MOOG.
    mygpascaddy likes this.

Parts ordered and Shipped !
    Thanks to all for your support.
    HAve a great day.

Jeff

Be aware that if you replace the tie rods and do not get the turns depth exact the car will be a hazard on the road until it gets a wheel alignment.

Not so for a center link or idler arm.

If you are going to do enough work to need a wheel alignment I suggest a good visual inspection of the upper A arm bushings and all ball joints. Nothing works than having an alignment monkey tell you the car needs 500 bux worth of crap before it can be aligned.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.