'78 Coupe de'Ville Headlights Won't Dim
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 1980coupe
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
  • 2 Post By bigm57ict
  • 1 Post By Mercedesman
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, '78 Coupe de'Ville Headlights Won't Dim in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, New to the forum. Please forgive my ignorance. I have searched this issue here but I am still stumped ...
    Mercedesman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe de'Ville

'78 Coupe de'Ville Headlights Won't Dim

Hello, New to the forum. Please forgive my ignorance. I have searched this issue here but I am still stumped on the issue. The lights operate but they will not dim with the floor switch or via the automatic headlight dimmer option. I suspected the floor switch so i removed it from the car. Should the headlights still work if the floor switch is removed? I figured the lights would go out without the floor switch connected. I am also finding out that the floor switch is obsolete and the only one I have been able to find is $75!!! I would appreciate any sound advice that could be given. The car is not a daily driver but I really would like to be able to drive it at night and not blind oncoming traffic.

1978 Coupe de'Ville 61,250 miles! I love this car!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: '78 Coupe de'Ville Headlights Won't Dim

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The switches that I find are all "without Guidematic" automatic dimming. So, my guess is that there is a different dimmer for your auto dimming setup.

First up, your FSM will likely have a trouble-shooting tree to figure out exactly what part is the problem. If you don't have an FSM, I can think of three options:
    1. Spend the big money, and change the switch (and hope that's the problem).
    2. Rewire the system, use the cheap switch, and bypass the Guidematic.
    3. Unplug the high beams.

I just did option #1 so while I wait on option #1 to arrive how do I go about disabling the high beams, option #3? If this were a Mercedes w123 chasis then I would know what to do. Oh the joy of the learning curve! LOL!

Unfortunately at the moment I do not own a FSM.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesman View Post
    Hello, New to the forum. Please forgive my ignorance. I have searched this issue here but I am still stumped on the issue. The lights operate but they will not dim with the floor switch or via the automatic headlight dimmer option. I suspected the floor switch so i removed it from the car. Should the headlights still work if the floor switch is removed? I figured the lights would go out without the floor switch connected. I am also finding out that the floor switch is obsolete and the only one I have been able to find is $75!!! I would appreciate any sound advice that could be given. The car is not a daily driver but I really would like to be able to drive it at night and not blind oncoming traffic.

1978 Coupe de'Ville 61,250 miles! I love this car!!!
    If you remove the floor mounted dimmer switch all front headlights would be inoperative. I can check my service manual to see what it says related this your issue, but that won't be until tomorrow morning. I'm at work right now..more than likely, it's the dimmer switch that is the culprit. Or it can be the guidematic control, which has sensors up front behind the grille. But definitely tomorrow I'll post..
    Mercedesman likes this.

Thanks!!!!!!!!! I have the dimmer switch completely removed from the car and the headlights STILL WORK but of course they are on high beam. I thought that when I removed the dimmer switch that it would cause the lights to go out BUT they did not. My car must be special. Haha!

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

That or someone in the past rigged up a direct wiring. I don't see how they'll still work without it. Like I said, first thing in the morning I'll see what it says and I'll scan the images...

Remove the high beams, unplug them. Just for now.
    bigm57ict likes this.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I'd check the circus diagram to see of your auto gizmo is in parallel with the dimwit switch. Could be a stuck relay inside.

Ex 124, 126, current W-140 X2 owner : ) That's so you know I'm a confirmed nutcase.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

"circus diagram" I like that. Very appropriate
    cadillac_al and talismandave like this.

Also, pick up an FSM on ebay. It's a must have for any classic car owner. It's what the dealership tech used to fix your car, you should use it, too.

Fixed it!!! At some point someone had been rooting around at the fuse panel and managed to plug the
    system up wrong. Plugged everything up correctly and now the headlights dim properly. Guidematic isn't
    working but at least the floor dimmer works!
    The Ape Man likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.