Corvette LT1 engine in a 1985 Fleetwood bro' ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Corvette LT1 engine in a 1985 Fleetwood bro' ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is this possible ? I have heard of people doing it i just dont know what year car they were ...
    joshie4ever is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Corvette LT1 engine in a 1985 Fleetwood bro' ?

Is this possible ? I have heard of people doing it i just dont know what year car they were doing it in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham
    Yes fitting the motor is possible its actually no problem. You need to get the mounts from the newer brougham 90-92 with the chevy 5.0 or 5.7 motor. The tougher part is wiring it up. If you get the lt1 you need to get the engine harness and the ecm with it too. you would also have to change your fuel pump, the tbi pump won't enough pressure. I think painless wiring makes a harness to retrofit that motor into older cars. That would be your best bet. The tranny is different also but they do make dual bolt pattern 200r4 or you can get a 700r4 or even get the tranny that came with the lt1, i forgot the number. The starter is on the other side of the motor, so you will need to swap the battery to the other side or run a longer battery cable. The battery would be better on the other side because then you will have room for an air box. There are alot of other little things that can be taken care of with some time to figure out. Good luck let me know if your going to go through with it. I did a swap in my 85, but I used an oldsmobile rocket 350 out of a '70 cutlass. that coulb be another route to look at and its a little easier.
    I got everything to work a/c, cruise, p/s, and even my fuel data panel.

Re: Corvette LT1 engine in a 1985 Fleetwood bro' ?

I just choose the LT1 out of the air because i though it would work. Im just looking for an engine that I could swap in there because the HT4100 isnt fast enough for me nor customizable =P . WHat other alternitives would I have ? Would a chevy 350 fit ? or do you know of something else that would work. Im looking in to the cutlass engine right now. Thanks.

you can definately do a chevy 350 motor. I just don't know how deep your pockets are. A 350 chevy motor with a carburator is probably the best way to go only because chevy parts are so readily available and cheap. An lt1 and a chevy 350 are basically the same blocks. An olds 350 motor are a bit harder to come by and they are more expensive to rebuild, but it will bolt right up to your tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by FASSTWOOD
    you can definately do a chevy 350 motor. I just don't know how deep your pockets are. A 350 chevy motor with a carburator is probably the best way to go only because chevy parts are so readily available and cheap. An lt1 and a chevy 350 are basically the same blocks. An olds 350 motor are a bit harder to come by and they are more expensive to rebuild, but it will bolt right up to your tranny.

I have a 1983 Chevy Van at home with a working 350 and Tranny. I just need to replace the starter because it went out and buy a new computer for it. The computer system went out on it and everytime we need to start the car it had to have manual power ran the distributer and the starter. I am still looking for the oldsmobile rocket 350 I think ill visit a few junkyards tommorow.

Mogul345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I'm about to put an Olds 307 into my 85. Bought it off a guy on ebay. It's a remanufactured motor from GM, with 5000 miles and a factory warranty. I'm also getting another 200-4r with it, already bolted to the motor, along with all the accessories(alternator, PS pump, etc), all for $1000. I know you all say its gutless, but my buddy has one in his 82 Delta 88, and it beats civics, which is all I'm really looking for. I hear all you have to do is get heads and cam from an earlier version of the 307, and you get alot of power back. He also says that Olds blocks have more nickel in them than Chevy blocks, making them stronger.

Mogul345 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by FASSTWOOD
    I did a swap in my 85, but I used an oldsmobile rocket 350 out of a '70 cutlass. that coulb be another route to look at and its a little easier.
    I got everything to work a/c, cruise, p/s, and even my fuel data panel.
    What did you do to get your fuel data panel to work? I've been pondering how to get all the electronics to jive with the 307..

Ok i have run into a problem, The 350 ( or 305 I dont know) has had the computer removed. I dont think this is going to be a problem because Ill just buy another ECM and replace the wiring. But Fastwood could you explain a little more about the engine swap ? Im not understanding why you have to swap computers and which wires need to be re wired and all that. Im thinking about trying to find a Rocket 350, Olds 307 or the CHevy 350 to swap in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul345
    What did you do to get your fuel data panel to work? I've been pondering how to get all the electronics to jive with the 307..

I used a vacuum advance distributor(from a 82 delta 88), but i used the ignition module from a newer distrbutor I think it was 86 cutlass with a 307 all my brackets and pulleys were from a 85 cutlass setup and i used a a/c manifold hose from a 86 fleetwood brougham with a 307

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.