Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dimmer switch Dilemma

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  lacville78 
#1 ·
I recently learned from a forum member that there aren't any new dimmer switches available for the 77 Caddys that do the job properly. I tried sanding the contacts on mine, but the switch gets hotter than hell within minutes of headlight operation. I consider it a fire hazard, and at the moment consider the headlights on my car non functional. I have resorted to getting a new improper switch, but am hesitant to install it.
Are there any other options available, or is everyone rolling around with 33 year old dimmer switches?
Thanks,
Tom.

#2 ·
I know I am and I had my share of replacing them from other cadillacs so far so good... Just run it direct..I did that long ago on my other brougham coupe.
Just run two wires inside, one from headlights and one with power. Touch them together and you got headlights that work. Low beams if you just splice into low beam wire...

#5 ·
I do not know if they had this problem in previous model years, but it appears that the heat generated by the high beam operation was too much for the bakelite base of the switch. Same with the plastics used on the relay panel and the relay for the climate control. You often find these units melted. :crying: I wonder if a dimmer switch or the CC relay could have been redesigned with more separation at the terminals, so that the material could absorb the heat better. I have also wondered if the use of a heavier gauge wiring would alleviate this. :hmm:

#6 ·
If it lasted 33 years why would it have to be redesigned? clean connections and a new switch should be good for another 33! If the headlight wiring is marginal, and has corroded grounds then that heat would back feed into the dimmer switch. Years ago, I owned a 1937 Oldsmobile and I used the 6 volt dimmer switch with 12 volt head/taillights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.