89 fleetwood rear differential blown or pinion seal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 89 fleetwood rear differential blown or pinion seal? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; posting this for a buddy..hes got a 89 Cadillac Fleetwood brougham rwd. not sure what size motor but its not ...
    tex210 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

89 fleetwood rear differential blown or pinion seal?

posting this for a buddy..hes got a 89 Cadillac Fleetwood brougham rwd. not sure what size motor but its not the 4100. well he had a bad vibration/howl noise from rear axle and had some play in the driveshaft when u would move it up and down by hand. he ignored it and it finally left him stranded today. The car wont go anywhere in drive or reverse and u can see the driveshaft spinning but the car wont go. so when I go to put it back in park it makes this whining down noise like gears clicking together to make the driveshaft stop spinning. Also when I went to go tow him home he had differential fluid all leaked out on the floor from the rear on the yoke side. it looked pretty black in color. I was gonna swap out the whole rear end but questioned myself if I change just the pinion seal and add some fresh fluid should it be good to go. if not what other cars are interchangeable for the rear ends?? thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    You can use a rear end from any 7.5 inched rear end b or c body. So lesabre, electra, 88, 98, parisienne/catalina, bonneville, caprice, fleetwood/deville/brougham.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    It would be easier to repair the unit if repairable but it's more then a pinion seal. Probably gonna need a ring and pinion and the tools to set it up right. Hopefully that's all you need.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 89 fleetwood rear differential blown or pinion seal?

The diffy is done. Replace the whole drum to drum. Probably want the same gear ratio. Axle codes are on the axle tube. Peeps here can tell you exactly where.

after getting it up on some stands it turns out the bolt that holds the rear yoke in place came off causeing the yoke to pop out and leaked all the fluid out and ruined the splines and thread. I picked up a complete rear end used out of a 86 chevy caprice for 110$. does any one know if this will work???..i noticed they both measure the same length and have the letter B stamped on both of them.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The Chevy may use4 different bolt circle on the rims IIRC. The axle flange may be a different style or have different saddle width for U joints. Drums are usually cheesier 9" on chevrolet as opposed to 11 on Cad. Also check bushing thickness. Chevy can be smaller but made to work.

I once stuffed a 1984 Chevy full size posi underneath my 1977 CDV and made it work so it can be done.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by tex210
    after getting it up on some stands it turns out the bolt that holds the rear yoke in place came off causeing the yoke to pop out and leaked all the fluid out and ruined the splines and thread. I picked up a complete rear end used out of a 86 chevy caprice for 110$. does any one know if this will work???..i noticed they both measure the same length and have the letter B stamped on both of them.
    If it is out of a sedan, you will need 2 4.75x5 rims for the back....or swap the axle shafts so you can keep the 5x5 rims. If it is a wagon, it's 5x5 bolt pattern and will be fine as is.

thanks for all the info especially Cadillac kevin who put me on the right track. I bolted up the caprice rear end and swaped over the axle and brakes from the caddy rear end to the caprice rearend. all worked out well and thanks again to all for all the info. great forum

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.