1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After 12 years my water pump has final gone bad. Purchased from autozone. Good thing I have a lifetime warranty. ...
    caddy1983 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood brougham 2 door

1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump

After 12 years my water pump has final gone bad. Purchased from autozone. Good thing I have a lifetime warranty. here are my questions to you guys: what else can I change for my coolant system to be clean. I was planning on replacing the
    thermostat(should I go dealer or aftermarket), maybe all belts and hoses,flushing the system and adding some cooling
    tabs(how many do I
    need). also my clutch fan( should I replace it. This has never been replaced car has 240,000 miles. If yes dealer or
    aftermarket).Since I will be removing mostly the front of the engine parts, will this give me better access to replace my motor mounts? also will it be easier to replace my power steering pump(its been making noise for the last 4 years, not bad also
    purchased at autozone about 12 years ago) what
    else is located here( I know the vacuum pump(never replaced. is it time) I'm not sure if I have a smog pump and a fuel pump here in this area. any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I'd replace the water pump, power steering pump, thermostat and check the radiator and lower hose. The motor mounts are a pain even with no motor in the car, good luck with those.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

Re: 1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump

you need 1 sealant tab for every 2 quarts of fresh mixed coolant.

If the power steering pump is making noise, then it's definitely a good thing to replace while you've got it apart. but for that motor, everything other than the water pump isn't too difficult to get at.

The hoses and belts are always a good thing to consider replacing with fresh ones as you re-assemble.

The fuel pump is in the tank.

thanks guys any more suggestions or advice.

If you've done the job before, you probably already know but:

Leave the car on the ground. No need to jack it up for the water pump and your back will thank you.
    You'll need some white grease for the seals.
    You'll need a special tool (can borrow from a part store) to remove the power steering pump pulley.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Get the pipe and O rings that join the pump to the intake manifold new! They corrode and leak. I presume you know the trick on removing the coolant temp sensor to press the pipe forward into the water pump after the pump's on. On the power steering pump, did you get a pump and a pressure hose from AutoZone or just the pump? If you got a hose as well, I've had hoses cause noise. Make sure the Smog pump belt is real tight when you replace it. If loose, the alt. belt will slip.

hey carnut I dont know what you are talking about. can u be specific on all the suggestions you posted except the smog pump belt suggestion.
    Thanks

The pipe I refer to is the water pump bypass pipe. It joins the pump at the intake manifold. At each end is an O ring. That pipe stays in the intake manifold when you pull off the pump usually. I never trust that pipe so I always get a new one with O rings. It inserts into the intake once the pump is off. You shove it in about halfway then with the coolant temp sensor removed, you insert a screwdriver in that hole and press the pipe forward to engage the water pump. I use wheel bearing grease on the O rings. That pipe comes with a locking sheet metal fork that centers the pipe between the pump body and intake manifold. The intake manifold hole can be corroded and needs to be cleaned well prior to install. regarding my suggestion on the pressure hose, I've seen a generic hose with less hose and more pipe and because of less hose, it can cause a buzzing noise in the system. Fought a Lincoln Mark 11 for a week before I got a Lincoln OEM hose to solve it! Also make sure the hose is positioned so as to not touch the cars frame or pump. It can buzz because its grounded (touching) metal.

Thanks carnut. you dont happen to have the part#s for the pipe and o-rings do you? I might end up doing this job myself. Since im in the area i
    might just replace my power steering pump(making loud noise and replaced in 1999), belts, water hoses, thermostat, maybe the coolant temp. sensor(should i replace this or not. can I clean it up once i remove it. what do you suggest) and anything else you might think I should replace since im in
    here. Is there a right up for this job. I also
    need to replace my motor mounts. my car is getting to the point where it needs lots of TLC. HELP ME Thanks

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Yeah I replaced the water pump on 2 HT-4100's last year (one on mine, then helped a buddy with his).
    You need to get a special tool to remove the power steering pump pulley.
    I might be missing a couple small things and the order might not be 100% right (you'll have to look at what makes sense in the engine bay)
    You have to remove the fan shroud
    drain the coolant
    remove the fan/clutch assembly
    remove the water pump pulley
    remove the alternator
    remove the harmonic balancer
    un-bolt the A/C compressor
    remove the bracket that connects the A/C and the alternator and air pump
    loosen the vacuum pump (or take it's pulley off with the special tool)
    remove the power steering pump pulley
    disconnect Rad hoses
    Remove the water pump

you'll then need to transfer over the timing gauge, pulley studs, and thermostat housing from the old pump to the new one.

The assembly is the reverse of what you did to take it apart (getting the alternator/AC/air pump bracket in can be a royal PITA).

Then you MUST tighten the Air pump to re-tighten the water pump belt. The adjuster on the Air pump is so hard to get at that I recommend you take it to a shop with a lift for that last step (only takes 5 mins with a lift). After I did the pump on my car, the belt came loose and I took it to a dealership to tighten it. It cost me $30 and they give it a free hand car wash while I drank their complementary coffee/pop and ate cookies.

The whole job is a huge job. It took me and my buddy 4 hours to do it in his driveway even with me knowing exactly what to do. (don't jack the car up since it can all be done with it on the ground and your back will thank you for leaving it down)

Thanks for all your help. Any luck with part # for the pipe and o-rings Carnut was refering to. I've been looking for a shop around my area
    Norwalk, CA for this job. The average from 3 shops for the labor work in in the low $300 Does this sound right

The only way to know if the labor charge is in the ball park is to have them show you the "flat rate" time to do the job in the flat rate book. Then multiply their hourly labor rate. $300 here in Stockton at $110 an hour would be less than 3 hours. I would think it will take more time than that.

----------

That pipe should show in the factory service manual. I would hope the local Cad dealer would list it. Its a bypass pipe from the water pump to the intake manifold. A replacement water pump comes with the O rings to go on that pipe but 50% of the time, the pipe is very rusty where the O rings slip on. That's why I buy a new one prior to disassembly.

Hey carnut I know its been a while but finally getting all the parts to replace my water pump. I called the dealer and the bypass pipe is discontinued. I called pep boys and oreillys and they dont carry the part/cant find it. Do you have a place where I can purchase this part. Do you happen to have the part# and the exact name of the pipe? I might end up doing this job myself. Reason for this because I will install a new radiator
    (i have a warranty) and the power sterring pump. Basically all my belts, radiator hoses and thermostats along with anything I can replace while im replacing my water pump will be replaced. I want to make sure this job will not need to be done again for the next 10 to 15 years. Hopefully my 4.1L
    has those years left. Need help here. Thanks

The pipe is a Cadillac dealer only item. Your local dealer should be able to do a search for one at any Cad dealer. Cannt remember the part number. If the outer surface of your pipe is not pitted, it can be reused. Like I said its a 50/50 proposition. I used wheel bearing grease on mine to allow the O rings to slide easily into the intake manifold and allow it to be pushed forward into the water pump thru the coolant temp sensor hole. There should be a forked piece that slides down onto the pipe to verify the pipe is centered between the pump and intake manifold.

cadillaccruiser703 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1954 coupe deville, 1984 fleetwood 2dr

i hate those w/p tubes...good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.