1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; anyone found a part# for the pipe? is a water pump by GMB a reputable company? I'm waiting for a ...
    caddy1983 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood brougham 2 door

Re: 1983 2 door Brougham 4.1L V8 water pump

anyone found a part# for the pipe? is a water pump by GMB a reputable company? I'm waiting for a factory service manual I purchased on ebay. Will this help me replace my pump and show me the pipe you guys are talking about

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Yes the manual explains the pipe. This pipe is not needed if the pipe isn't rusty or pitted on the O ring surface. I remove the coolant sensor and slide the pipe into the manifold leaving space enough to pry it forward into the water pump. I use wheel bearing grease on the O rings.

charley95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 brougham

While your at it you might want to have to radiator checked by a Rad. repair shop. It will save you a lot of headache to do it while your flushing cooling system. I would also use distilled water upon refill of anti-freeze. I'm surprised your radiator is still good after all these years. I had to replace mine years back in my 91 Brougham with a Modine brand which was the best after market available at the time. Too bad they got out of the Rad. business. Di-electric silicone grease works good on O-rings too. Napa has a good selection of those.

I have a lifetime warranty on my radiator at autozone. I might just replace the radiator and anything related to the cooling system. Need to make
    sure I do this right so this can last another 10-15 years. Thanks

charley95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 brougham

Quote Originally Posted by caddy1983 View Post
    I have a lifetime warranty on my radiator at autozone. I might just replace the radiator and anything related to the cooling system. Need to make
    sure I do this right so this can last another 10-15 years. Thanks
    I wouldn't replace your existing rad. if there is nothing wrong with it. I typically flush my system every 3 yrs. I flush heater core,block & rad. and drain block before filling with fresh anti-freeze.

just received my factory shop manual and it doesn't say anything about the pipe and the o rings. The steps to remove the water pump seem very
    ***ue and simple. Is it really that simple to remove the pump. NEED help

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

See post #10 for the steps. Nothing overly complicated, just lots of work removing accessories.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

^^ If you have the 1983 GM Service Information manual, you will find the exploded diagram of your water pump and related parts in section 6D2 - 6 figure 6D2 - 9 The tube is called "adapter" and it shows the two large diameter "O" ring seal. This area is a right bastard to re install leak-free. Mine took me 6 months of fiddling around removing and re-sealing the thermostat housing including one session of Draw-filing the flat surfaces to guarantee a perfectly flat sealing surface. Be very careful with the jack screw belt tensioning adjusters (one on the a/c comp. and one on the alternator). The threaded blocks split very easily and are only available at wrecking yards as far as I know.

Cheers...........R.

The hardest part is getting the power steering pump pulley off with the proper pulley puller. Then reinstalling the pulley again with the proper tool.

^^ I can't disagree with that.

R.

----------

^^ I can't disagree with that.

R.

1983 cadillac brougham 2 door 4.1L V8 RWD water pump replacement

need help replacing my water pump. Any helpful recommendations? Where to buy water pump(autozone,oreillys,pepboys). And what is a trusted and dependable company besides OEM? I see a lot on ebay for under $100. Anyone in the Norwalk/Cerritos, CA area who can help me here? Thanks OH!!! any write ups will help. From research the two orings when replacing the pump need to be installed correctly or you may find a leak. Any suggestions. Thank You

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

Re: 1983 cadillac brougham 2 door 4.1L V8 RWD water pump replacement

Your original thread on this job has lots of useful information:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...gham-4-1l.html

anyone in the norwalk/cerritos CA area who can give me a hand replacing my water pump. I'm willing to pay for your assistance. Thank you

^^it will drive you nuts. My 83 (51,000 original miles) FWB lost its water pump through a seal failure 2 years ago. So I bought an aftermarket reman water pump and took the car to my repair shop to have it replaced. The shop rejected the reman pump saying that the body was so badly pitted that they would not install it. I got them another reman pump. Same verdict. The pump housing was unusable in their opinion. They asked me to get a new OEM pump which I did. Then there was the issue of the two large "O" rings and the tin coolant transfer tube. The tube was no longer available from GM so I had to use my original tube. The repair shop draw-filed the thermostat housing to ensure a proper seal, they carefully installed the OEM pump, thermostat housing, coolant transfer tube and "O" rings (Walt Disney would have been proud that a such a Mickey Mouse concept would have been used by the great GM organisation) and replaced the coolant. The pump and supporting GM designed junk weeped coolant for a year while the hapless shop tried and tried again to seal this mechanical fiasco under warranty. The weeping is finally down to a few drops per month which I can live with but trust me, this is not a "piece of cake" operation. Cost to me was well over $600.00 and well worth the money because psychiatric help for me had I tried to do it myself would have been in the thousands. Good luck to you........I hope you have better luck that I did...........

Cheers.........R

I just looked a Rockauto.com and they list a Cardone NEW water pump with by pass pipe included. Part number 55-11165. Doesn't show a picture of the by pass pipe though. The trick to this job being successful is verifying the hole this pipe fits into in the front of the intake manifold is NOT pitted or scored at all! This pipe is suspended by 2 large O rings on either end. If the manifold is pitted, the O ring wont seal. Depending on how long the cooling system has been neglected is relative to the amount of pitting found. If there is no practical way to repair the pitting, I would use black RTV sealant on this O ring as I inserted the pipe. Remember; remove the coolant temp sensor on the intake just above the pipe hole. Then insert the pipe with O rings installed back into the intake just far enough to just be able to insert a flat blade screwdriver behind it thru the sensor hole. I would use wheel bearing grease on the O ring that slides into the pump. Once the pump is on, then with the screwdriver, press the pipe forward to center it between the intake and water pump. If you had to coat the intake O ring with RTV, let it set over night. This job is NOT for the novice driveway mechanic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.