thinking about going topless!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, thinking about going topless! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Have yellow 79 Sedan deVille with yellow top. It is a very presentable daily driver, it is showing its age ...
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Have yellow 79 Sedan deVille with yellow top. It is a very presentable daily driver, it is showing its age just a tad - top is still supple and nice and has color but has a little patina of age. My thought is to repaint the whole car to freshen it and remove some minor cracks and blemishes, and, I know this may sound like a sin, but I am thinking of removing the vinyl top and refinishing the steel underneath, getting the chrome rear window moldings (inside trim as required to do it right, possibly different rear window if necessary). What do you think? Is losing the vinyl no big deal and may make the car pleasingly different from before, or is the vinyl an essential retro look that needs to be retained? My outlook is to have the car in the beauty shop this fall, right around the corner! Please advise with your opinions. Thanks! Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: thinking about going topless!

If it were me, I'd keep the vinyl top look on it. Mine is showing its age and starting to fade and crack and was thinking the same route you are, but should the time come to fix it- I'm keeping the vinyl look to it.

I thought you meant topless as in no top at all on the car, you mean baldy. Well, that how the guys over on layitlow refer to it.
    You do need the inside trim, rear window trim and another rear glass.
    nebulosity likes this.

Thanks for your thoughts. The other option is to replace the vinyl top with new skin now that Craig (77 CDV) has turned me on to vinyl and fabric wonderland of SMS, they have Colonial Yellow vinyl in stock and ready to go. I grew up with our non-vinyl roof 77 sedan deVille and it was so unique at the time, maybe this is a midlife crisis and that is why I am subconsciously trying to recapture my youth?! I just think the no vinyl roof look will perhaps be a bit sporty. I love vinyl too, very seventies, plus it is authentic to the originality of the beast. But that big yellow Cadillac with vinyl-less look still makes me excited wondering...

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Either way would be cool as hell! You might have quite a job on your hands deleting the top and sourcing the proper trim pieces. And smoothing out the bad body work the factory did under the top. The real question is, is the trouble worth going through to you.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

I've seen photos of several steel roofed Cadillacs... the 77 and ups actually look totally find in my opinion, the 76 and downs looked kinda funky...

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

here's a 79 sedan that i found on google...

gives you an idea on how it'll look

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I think you should go baldy. You'll love it. There will need to be body work on the roof to get out the ripples left in the roof and cover the pinholes around the back window. The exterior rear trim is different from Coupe to sedan so make sure you get the right one. The clips that hold on the interior rear window trim are hard to find, I had to make my own. I did find someone who sold them though.

blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have thought of turning my 76 CDV into a baldy. Anyn thoughts guys? Any pics of a 76 baldy CDV?

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Bare top coupes look great. Sedans, I think they look better with vinyl. Bare sedans are too "Caprice" to me. Sedans without vinyl are like martinis without olives.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Bare top coupes look great. Sedans, I think they look better with vinyl. Bare sedans are too "Caprice" to me. Sedans without vinyl are like martinis without olives.
    Vinyl is a maintenance nightmare though---especially if it stays outside any number of days.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The purpose of a vinyl roof is to minimize damage to the road if you flip over.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Ape, you would have to bring cocktails into this, my low liquor light is already on, guess a martini is in order since you mentioned it!

I agree the topless look on this period Cadillac can be seen as Caprice-ishh but I am thinking the increasingly unusual and very rich yellowness of my car helps with distinctiveness if it is converted to vinyl-less. I have lace style 93-96 Fleetwood alloy wheels on the car which I am going to have chromed while the car is laid up. So, I am thinking (hoping) the metal roof with chrome wheels will work and tickle me. It is not permanent so I can always put the vinyl back on if desired later.

As for the inside and outside trim and rear window, I believe the rear window and trim from any 77 Sedan deVille will work (should be findable), or a 78-79 that was made from the factory with metal roof (very rare).

I appreciate your opinions about the car and cocktail suggestions, but it doesn't take much to get me excited about cocktails! I love these old Cadillacs so much that everything is all good always!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    I have thought of turning my 76 CDV into a baldy. Anyn thoughts guys? Any pics of a 76 baldy CDV?
    They made 76 Coupe deVilles from the factory with no vinyl, my neighbors had a light blue one like that back in 76. I am not sure about the trim around the side opera windows, on the 77-79 models you need a trim piece to cover the openings around those windows, I think you do not need to worry about that on a 1976 but get more opinions before you start ripping the vinyl off.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    Ape, you are the greatest!

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    That would be the only reasonable use that I could see.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ape man
    the purpose of a vinyl roof is to minimize damage to the road if you flip over.
    lol!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.