Paint job on 76 cdv
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Paint job on 76 cdv in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone have some facts and figures on a repaint job on a 1976 CDV? Body pretty good, trunk lid bottom ...
    blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Paint job on 76 cdv

Anyone have some facts and figures on a repaint job on a 1976 CDV? Body pretty good, trunk lid bottom corroded, bottom of rear where vinyl top meets body corrode and the rear fillers need replacing but all else good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Paint job on 76 cdv

Sounds pretty standard. Are you doing the work yourself or having it done?

If doing it yourself you have to ask yourself how perfect do you need it and how much money do you want to spend? You can replace a lot of sheet metal (like the rusted trunk lid) or you can repair them with some basic rust repair techniques. wire brush wheel, some rust converter of your choice (4 parts 1 to 1 part vinegar seems to work pretty good for a cheap option) and then fiberglass filler it. With enough sanding you can make it unnoticeable.

If you're looking to have it done professionally you'll pay a lot I bet. Rust repair is a lengthy process involving a lot of sanding. And then the painting requires even more hours of sanding.

Check out csbuckn's thread. He was a first time painter and it came out great.

I'm planning on prepping the car myself, carefully removing the trim and then lotsa sanding down. I'm interested in stripping techniques? I will have the paint job done professionally.......a good body shop with a decent paint room. Will try working on the trunk lid very soon but might be easier to replace it. Fleetwood body manual should be arriving soon. Thanks:-)

----------

I'm planning on prepping the car myself, carefully removing the trim and then lotsa sanding down. I'm interested in stripping techniques? I will have the paint job done professionally.......a good body shop with a decent paint room. Will try working on the trunk lid very soon but might be easier to replace it. Fleetwood body manual should be arriving soon. Coiuldn't fiond csbuckn's thread? Thanks:-)

do you have a air compressor with a DA or inline sander? If you do, use them! The DA (dual action) is probably the most important sanding tool you could have for body work. block sanding is needed for the finishing but i couldn't imagine sanding down a whole car by hand without a DA!

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

I have been reading about all different kinds of paint types.
    Might be a good plan to work with your painter from the start so your prep work will work there paint - procedures - capabilities.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    I'm interested in stripping techniques? Thanks:-)
    http://www.hotrod.com/howto/hdrp_060...s/viewall.html

scuff-and-shoot for the win

Learning Thanks
    Apparently Soda blasting is not correct.
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/soda...ing-83749.html

I'm a fan of scuff and spray. I've never taken the whole car down to bare metal, only sections that needed work like rust or dents.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Scuff and spray is the way to go if you can get away with it. In my case the car had blistering where the primer was losing adhesion to the metal, not a good base. I also wonder when you see old Caddys with cracks in the paint that looks like alligator skin, if the cracks go into the primer, in that case scuff and spray might not work either.

I agree and will proceed with scuff and spray to start with. I do have significant rust around the bottom of the trunk lid and around the base of the vinyl top...not unusual. I intend to go see my local paint shop this week and discuss the process with them. I have reduced the pics to a mere 230KB but I still can't get them to load.....keeps telling me I have exceeded my limt ...which I have not!.........GRRH!!! Meanwhile the stripping of trim continues.

I also would recommend a wire brush wheel on an angle grinder for rusty spots that are hard to get to

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by blueboy
    I agree and will proceed with scuff and spray to start with. I do have significant rust around the bottom of the trunk lid and around the base of the vinyl top...not unusual. I intend to go see my local paint shop this week and discuss the process with them. I have reduced the pics to a mere 230KB but I still can't get them to load.....keeps telling me I have exceeded my limt ...which I have not!.........GRRH!!! Meanwhile the stripping of trim continues.
    Maybe it's time for a photobucket or imageshack account?

Remembered, I have a flicker account:
    TRUNK LID
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382565@N03/9511231832/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382565@N03/9508440539/
    REAR WINDOW
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6238256...th/9508440539/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382565@N03/9511261650/

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Wow, flickr is really slow. I gave up waiting for a pic to load. Try this. Right click on the image, click on "copy image location", and past it between these tags [img] [/img]

76 CDV Rear Window Meets Trunk Replacement

Hi Guys I've stripped off the bottom of the vinyl top and here's the result:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382565@N03/9540368420/

Pretty nasty stuff eh?
    So I suppose need to get the bad part cut out and replaced. I can see where the seams are...is it possible to cut it out get a replacement from a similar year deville (does it have to be a coupe?) or have it made and have it welded in place? Or should I just ...I know this is sacrilege but....fill it with glass fibre/bondo and move on?
    Opinions please.
    Thanks

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

You haven't said how much you want to spend, or how high quality wise, you want to go with your car. The color of your car matters as well. Darker colors require more prep because flaws (wavy body work especially) show up more than they do with light colors. Replacing rusted panels like hoods, doors, and deck lids usually makes more sense than trying to repair them due to how costly rust repairs are. I always sand blast rust because it is the only way for sure to get all the corrosion out. Even if it makes a hole, cut and weld a new piece of steel in if you are really looking for a long lasting repair. Give us some more info, and I can give my 2 cents worth. I am not a professional body or paint guy, but I have done lots of it over the last 40 years. If you really take your time, nothing can make your car look better than a really well done paint job.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: 76 CDV Rear Window Meets Trunk Replacement

If it were me, I'll do it right the first time. Which is find another piece off of a same year and model. I don't think a sedan would work but maybe someone else can chime in on that.
    I wouldn't bondo over it. If you cannot locate another piece, make it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.