Problem with 1991 Brougham Radio No Sound
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By csbuckn
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Problem with 1991 Brougham Radio No Sound in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone. Recently developed a problem with the radio on my 1991 Brougham. Radio has good fuse, good power, seeks ...
    Bigboats34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 5.7 Brougham Flame Red Metallic

Problem with 1991 Brougham Radio No Sound

Hello everyone. Recently developed a problem with the radio on my 1991 Brougham. Radio has good fuse, good power, seeks to stations(good antenna reception), and the display works....but no sound except very quiet jarble and static when turned all the way up. Power antenna is stuck upright and same symptoms whether antenna is plugged in and fuse pulled or antenna motor unplugged and fuse in place.

Now the kicker....I bought a working radio(I heard it in person!) out of another Brougham and still having the same problem! Can 1 bad speaker affect the whole system? No factory amplifier on these vehicles I believe.

Anyone else run into similar problem? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Re: Problem with 1991 Brougham Radio No Sound

There is a factory amp tucked up under the dash. I had a similar problem. I would put my money on the amp. there are ways around the amp if your interested.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs182004
    There is a factory amp tucked up under the dash. I had a similar problem. I would put my money on the amp. there are ways around the amp if your interested.
    Could you put a small aftermarket amp under the dash/ in the dash instead of putting in another factory amp?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The radio you see in the dash is just the control head. The radio itself is the second piece inside the dash. That's the part with the problem.

Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

a few Buick and Oldsmobile cassette decks have the CDM (amp-tuner) attached directly to the head unit (especially the ones that are all push button (no dial), they are the same general size as most "pre Theftloc" Delco radios. Just two remove two 7mm bolts and one 1/4 inch bolt and it comes right off. I wlll take some pic of examples later this evening. Metra also sells a bypass harness on Amazon or you can make your own with a few salvage yard plugs (either way getting access to the defective amp in order to replace or bypass. There are Cadillac specific AM/FM cassette, and AM/FM cassette/CD units offered in at least 1993 that are identical the the models offered in the 1991-92 Broughams with the only external difference being the 5 preset EQ buttons are replaced by 2 (un-illmnated) horizontal linear potentiometers (sliders) for bass and treble adjustment. But then again (before GM spun off GM Defense and Delco as Hughes Helicopter later absorbed by Raytheon) from what see in salvage yards and eBay, they seemed to to be very prolific in the variety of models and sub models. (Now they are just as prolific in the missile industry they seem to produce every US missile and rocket system except the Hellfire (After finishing Infantry school at Ft Benning in 2005, I declined the to take the 4-week class to learn how to operate their Javelin anti tank system after I found out the missile may be able to neutralize a contemporary main battle tank but can't play cassette tapes)

Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham View Post
    a few Buick and Oldsmobile cassette decks have the CDM (amp-tuner) attached directly to the head unit (especially the ones that are all push button (no dial), they are the same general size as most "pre Theftloc" Delco radios. Just two remove two 7mm bolts and one 1/4 inch bolt and it comes right off. I wlll take some pic of examples later this evening. Metra also sells a bypass harness on Amazon or you can make your own with a few salvage yard plugs (either way getting access to the defective amp in order to replace or bypass. There are Cadillac specific AM/FM cassette, and AM/FM cassette/CD units offered in at least 1993 that are identical the the models offered in the 1991-92 Broughams with the only external difference being the 5 preset EQ buttons are replaced by 2 (un-illmnated) horizontal linear potentiometers (sliders) for bass and treble adjustment. But then again (before GM spun off GM Defense and Delco as Hughes Helicopter later absorbed by Raytheon) from what see in salvage yards and eBay, they seemed to to be very prolific in the variety of models and sub models. (Now they are just as prolific in the missile industry they seem to produce every US missile and rocket system except the Hellfire (After finishing Infantry school at Ft Benning in 2005, I declined the to take the 4-week class to learn how to operate their Javelin anti tank system after I found out the missile may be able to neutralize a contemporary main battle tank but can't play cassette tapes)
    huh?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

^He said you can find a stock GM stereo of the same time period with a built in amp and try to fit it in...91/2 decks are a little different from 93 but should still work...GM and Delco went into the missile business and can now destroy tanks...he was gonna shoot one of the coolest guns around but decided not to because GMs missiles would shoot back.
    ktr-sb and mjs182004 like this.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

I'm sure you could put in a aftermarket amp, but getting another gm radio with a amp built right in is so much easier. if you guys need, I can take pictures of the harness, so you can match up the wire colors.

Bigboats34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 5.7 Brougham Flame Red Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    The radio you see in the dash is just the control head. The radio itself is the second piece inside the dash. That's the part with the problem.
    What does the amp look like and where is it located? The junk car I pulled the other radio out of did work, so that amp has to be good and I'll go get it.

I pulled Radio, power mirror control, and climate control module out very easily to disconnect and swap out the radios. Once I plugged in the second radio and found out that wasn't the problem; I started looking around back in the dash. There was a 3"x3" thin black box mounted behind/under the radio and I removed it for shits and giggles. Took in inside the house and ran the part number on it but it came back as a "cruise control module". Could that have been the amp? There were several colored wires in a 10 or 12 prong harness going into it. It doesn't look like there would be any other parts accessible from the radio area in the dash. Is it up underneath?

Thanks for input so far guys.....

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    If that 3x3 box was plugged into the radio harness, I'd say that was the amp.

It's not really an amp per say, it's the actual radio. I don't know what it looks like but it should be right near the head with the wires going to it.
    Someone on here who replaced the factory radio with another GM one said they were able to get into the dash and disconnect the actual radio wiring from the in-dash part and the plugs were just the satandard GM radio ones.

ctsvesq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Any movement on this issue? I have the exact same problem. Replaced amp stereo from know. Good soure and still no sound. I also plugged into directly to amp under dash with an aftermarket radio and still no sound! Help please!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.