1949 cadillac hubcaps (set of 4) ....how to figure worth?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1949 cadillac hubcaps (set of 4) ....how to figure worth? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; These hubcaps came with an old house we bought. These look brand new. My husband thinks they were probably rechromed. ...
    DPForumDog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1949 and 1980's

1949 cadillac hubcaps (set of 4) ....how to figure worth?

These hubcaps came with an old house we bought.

These look brand new. My husband thinks they were probably rechromed.
    I think they are probably for a 1949 Cadillac fleetwood 75 imperial because we have the shell of this old caddy and other parts .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3934277...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3934277...n/photostream/

Some people call them sombrero hub caps. There are four of them and they are beautiful.

My Questions:
    1. How do I find out how much they are worth? I have seen sets on ebay for 500 -$2900.00 and none of them look as good as our four.
    2. How do I know if they are reproductions? My husband thinks they are too heavy to be reproductions.

Thanks
    DP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

scurling is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD

Re: 1949 cadillac hubcaps (set of 4) ....how to figure worth?

They look beautiful.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe
    Put them on eBay, no reserve. You'll know what they're worth at the end of the auction.
    lacville78 likes this.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There are a few companies that make reproductions sets that retail for $800 ($200 per hubcap). Most of the sets don't come with the center cap (the Cadillac emblem), so your's would probably be worth more because they are complete.

I'm not exactly sure how to tell the difference between a reproduction and an original. I have heard that the originals will have more of a blue tint in sunlight, where reproductions have a yellowish tint; they use different chroming processes that makes the reproductions shine differently. Also, if you look on the back or outer edge of the hubcap, there should be a manufactures stamp. An original would either say GM on it, or would have a traceable GM part number.

The hubcaps were used from '47 to '53, and were available on Cadillac's entire fleet, so there is a market for them. I would say you should expect get between $700 and $850 for them, but if you can prove they are factory originals, then you should get between $1000 and $1500.

DPForumDog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1949 and 1980's

Thank you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.