Opera & Cornering lights?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Opera & Cornering lights? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; From what I've seen, it seems like the pillar opera lights and the cornering lamps does not work on 90% ...
    Jeppi94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadllac Brougham

Opera & Cornering lights?

From what I've seen, it seems like the pillar opera lights and the cornering lamps does not work on 90% of all older Cadillac's, including my 89 Brougham. Anyone here who got functional opera or cornering lamps? I guess you just have to change the bulb's, but since the majority not have done that i guess they are hard to get to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeppi94
    From what I've seen, it seems like the pillar opera lights and the cornering lamps does not work on 90% of all older Cadillac's, including my 89 Brougham. Anyone here who got functional opera or cornering lamps? I guess you just have to change the bulb's, but since the majority not have done that i guess they are hard to get to?
    When I bought my 86, the cornering lights didn't work. Replaced all the bulbs (which were burnt out) and nothing. Turns out the fuse was blown. And it is a PITA to get to as it is on the top of the fuse block.
    Also, oddly, if you have a burnt out turn signal or running light, the cornering lights won't work (but then your lights work weird in general).

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

Re: Opeara & Cornering lights?

No expert here, but I've always found that the cornering laps on these cars work just fine if put a fresh bulb in them. The opera lamps are a different story. From what I've heard on some Buick forums, there is a metal strip within the lights that goes bad. I've seen some successful threads of people who of taken them apart and made custom metal strips to replace the originals and have gotten them working again.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

I ended up finding an older style Opera Lite that had the same footprint as the electro-luminescent type but were the bulb style. The e/l fixture was just plastic but the older ones were chrome. The E/L tape can still be had from ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES if you want to go that route. You had better check to see if the inverter in the trunk is any good before going that route because that will be an extra expense. The light have a 110v line and a 12v going to them, you can just cap off the 110v line and use the 12v for the older lamps.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by SafariOne
    I ended up finding an older style Opera Lite that had the same footprint as the electro-luminescent type but were the bulb style. The e/l fixture was just plastic but the older ones were chrome. The E/L tape can still be had from ADAFRUIT INDUSTRIES if you want to go that route. You had better check to see if the inverter in the trunk is any good before going that route because that will be an extra expense. The light have a 110v line and a 12v going to them, you can just cap off the 110v line and use the 12v for the older lamps.
    Did your car have the B pillar or C pillar opera lights?

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

They work on my 89 Deville.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

^The DeVille uses a totally different style. The Broughams had EL tape to power their opera lamps, but because of the type used, very few still function, due to ultraviolet exposure.

We've discussed this aeons ago. My Opera lamps work flawlessly and will most likely outlive my. This is because I have determined how to dismantle them and have replaced the EL tape inside of them.

As for the cornering lamps, I will be honest, I have NEVER heard of someone without functional cornering lamps.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

On my 80 coupe, both opera and cornering lights work..
    now it was said (cadillac kevin) that if your blinker or running light is out, it won't light up (cornering light) that is not true. On mine it would. When I first got the coupe 15 years ago, one side of the cornering lights work and the other side didn't. Both blinkers worked and flashed, cornering light would light up to the side that worked with blinker flashing, but when switched to other side, blinker would flash but cornering light didn't work. Bulb was fine. When I received my eletrical troubleshoot manual it says, if one side operates and not the other side, it is your cornering switch, which is part of your turn-hazard switch assembly. Since at the time I had my other 80 Brougham coupe, I removed the cornering switch from that car and spliced it in and presto, the inoperable side worked and has been ever since

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    ^The DeVille uses a totally different style. The Broughams had EL tape to power their opera lamps, but because of the type used, very few still function, due to ultraviolet exposure.

We've discussed this aeons ago. My Opera lamps work flawlessly and will most likely outlive my. This is because I have determined how to dismantle them and have replaced the EL tape inside of them.

As for the cornering lamps, I will be honest, I have NEVER heard of someone without functional cornering lamps.
    The opera lights have an hour life but instead of dieing straight out they just start getting dim in different spots until they don't light at all. UV is a double whammy that makes the plastic they are made out of dry out and crack.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    On my 80 coupe, both opera and cornering lights work..
    now it was said (cadillac kevin) that if your blinker or running light is out, it won't light up (cornering light) that is not true. On mine it would. When I first got the coupe 15 years ago, one side of the cornering lights work and the other side didn't. Both blinkers worked and flashed, cornering light would light up to the side that worked with blinker flashing, but when switched to other side, blinker would flash but cornering light didn't work. Bulb was fine. When I received my eletrical troubleshoot manual it says, if one side operates and not the other side, it is your cornering switch, which is part of your turn-hazard switch assembly. Since at the time I had my other 80 Brougham coupe, I removed the cornering switch from that car and spliced it in and presto, the inoperable side worked and has been ever since
    That's the biggest problem with them when they don't work and it used to be pretty common. Other GMs with cornering lights have the same issue.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    UV is a double whammy that makes the plastic they are made out of dry out and crack.
    I agree with you on this, I really do, because all science indicates this, but in hindsight of all my time living in Nevada and Florida (the places I live presently and have for a decade now) I have never found cracked plastic on a car that was caused by ultraviolet exposure.

Still, I agree with you. I am just fortunate enough to have never experienced it.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    I agree with you on this, I really do, because all science indicates this, but in hindsight of all my time living in Nevada and Florida (the places I live presently and have for a decade now) I have never found cracked plastic on a car that was caused by ultraviolet exposure.

Still, I agree with you. I am just fortunate enough to have never experienced it.
    Really? Lots of cars get lenses that go brittle with hairline cracks all over or yellowed, or pittled from the plastic being eaten away from the sun. Cars from areas like those are also prone to rubber seals that crack or get rough from their surface being baked away or shrunk.

The clear lenses of the opera lights stay good but when you take them apart you see that it's the tape inside them that can go yellow and break apart and oddly enough happens more to ones that are already failing rather then ones that still work.

This might just be my case, how di i know which fuse if for the cornering light?

I don't think there's a fuse, but I could be wrong. I don't have my manual with me plus, I'm at work..
    If it were a fuse, other stuff associated with that fuse will fail. check your switch as I mentioned above and go from there.
    I'll follow up in the morning if there is a fuse or not.

Ijust went out and had a look. there is 10amp fuse which are for both the parking and the cornering lights. But since my parking lights do work, i think we can assume that the fuse is intact. When it comes to the opera lights, i'm gonna dissamble them and see if there is any voltage at all coming to them, if it is i will be ordering a new set of EL tape and fit them in.

It's your switch then at the turn hazard switch assembly down on the column...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.