Just got home from a wake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Just got home from a wake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just an awful scene. 28 years old, 2 young kids, one of 9 siblings in his family. Rammed into a ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Just got home from a wake

Just an awful scene. 28 years old, 2 young kids, one of 9 siblings in his family. Rammed into a tractor trailer on a motorcycle. You only get to do that once. His kids were there, obviously hadn't really absorbed the fact that they weren't going to see their dad again. Really gut wrenching experience. But, I'm a car guy and I can't shut that off.

Leaving the funeral home, I spotted a '94 Fleetwood hearse. I had to check it out without my girlfriend noticing that I was checking it out. But I got caught, and after telling me how awful I was, encouraged me to talk to the owner about it. It looked to me like it hadn't run in a while. Had 2 flat tires and needs paint at least on the hood, maybe other places. The ginormous vinyl top is in good shape, as is the tan leather interior. It looks to me like except for the hood, the car will clean up nicely.

I talked to the owner and he said he had the engine rebuilt and was about to trade it in, along with his Deville hearse for a shiny new hearse. He said he didn't think he was going to get much for the '94 and I could have it for whatever the dealer offers him. I'm really only interested in the body parts - bumpers, trim, etc. that's still in good shape. So if the price is appropriate for those parts I might snag it.

BUT, if the price is more whole-car like I'll post back here to see if anyone is interested in it. It's in Passaic, NJ.

And, unrelated, the guy said that the Fleetwood was the best hearse he'd owned. Smooth, powerful. Hates the Deville :-)

----------

Oh yeah, the funeral director said that when the hearse dealers buy these old cars they get shipped off to South America where they get put back into service. I thought that was an interesting, but nearly completely useless piece of information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Re: Just got home from a wake

That'dd be interesting to see. You gonna go for it?

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Just an awful scene. 28 years old, 2 young kids, one of 9 siblings in his family. Rammed into a tractor trailer on a motorcycle. You only get to do that once. His kids were there, obviously hadn't really absorbed the fact that they weren't going to see their dad again. Really gut wrenching experience. But, I'm a car guy and I can't shut that off.

Leaving the funeral home, I spotted a '94 Fleetwood hearse. I had to check it out without my girlfriend noticing that I was checking it out. But I got caught, and after telling me how awful I was, encouraged me to talk to the owner about it. It looked to me like it hadn't run in a while. Had 2 flat tires and needs paint at least on the hood, maybe other places. The ginormous vinyl top is in good shape, as is the tan leather interior. It looks to me like except for the hood, the car will clean up nicely.

I talked to the owner and he said he had the engine rebuilt and was about to trade it in, along with his Deville hearse for a shiny new hearse. He said he didn't think he was going to get much for the '94 and I could have it for whatever the dealer offers him. I'm really only interested in the body parts - bumpers, trim, etc. that's still in good shape. So if the price is appropriate for those parts I might snag it.

BUT, if the price is more whole-car like I'll post back here to see if anyone is interested in it. It's in Passaic, NJ.

And, unrelated, the guy said that the Fleetwood was the best hearse he'd owned. Smooth, powerful. Hates the Deville :-)

----------

Oh yeah, the funeral director said that when the hearse dealers buy these old cars they get shipped off to South America where they get put back into service. I thought that was an interesting, but nearly completely useless piece of information.
    You already have a limo. Go for the whole Hearse too. lol lol

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jimmy. Though, I suspect he'd approve of you eyeing the hearse.

After sleeping on it, it's too nice to part out (unless I get it for next to nothing). If the price is right I'll snag it and probably try to flip it. A friend of mine drives and older Fleetwood hearse and is interested in it.
    77CDV, jamespowers and Faith76 like this.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Not to get a thread rolling about funeral stories, but when I was at my Grandpa's funeral about 7 years ago, I had only had my Brougham for about a year, and when I rolled into the lot of the parlor, all the funeral directors started eyeing it like a piece of meat. It was kind of funny, actually. Most of them were older gentlemen, and immediately started reminiscing about how excellent the big old Caddies were as service vehicles, and how much they disliked the new DTS hearses and limos they had. They ended up putting my Brougham up front in the funeral procession, right behind the hearse and the limo because it looked so nice. I didn't mind. Growing up, it was my grandpa's Cadillacs that got me to love big cars, and he would have appreciated it.
    turbojimmy, 77CDV and talismandave like this.

After sleeping on it, it's too nice to part out (unless I get it for next to nothing). If the price is right I'll snag it and probably try to flip it. A friend of mine drives and older Fleetwood hearse and is interested in it.
    I knew it! Add a Hearse to the Cadillac Stable.

Dude didn't call today. I'll call him tomorrow. That thing is going to be a tough sell for anyone but weirdos like me. The idea of a matching hearse is growing on me.

Dude didn't call today. I'll call him tomorrow. That thing is going to be a tough sell for anyone but weirdos like me. The idea of a matching hearse is growing on me.
    Just beat him down on price.

You also reminded me---call him up and say Dude Where's My Car?

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

My condolences about your friend, but seeing as he surely knows you, I am sure he is laughing already at the idea of you buying the Hearse.

That being said, that is one of those urbanized customs that is still new to me. Back home, we could be as blatant about anything we wanted at a wake or funeral. In fact, the Funerals I've been to (both those I was at because I was working and those I was present at for people I'd known who have passed away) ALL had quite an assortment of Hearses show up (prior to moving to Florida however. My last Funeral here, I opted not to drive my Cadillac. My friend who had passed would have been fine with it, but his family did not know me and probably did not desire to see that)

In closing, everyone hates the DeVille Hearses. Even the dealerships. A sister of mine owns a 2012 though, which has grown on me.

Personally, I am just not a fan of modern cars. The creep me out. All plastic and funny-shaped. I was just discussing in another thread though that if I WERE in the market for a modern car, I would still stay Loyal to Superior Coaches (hands down the greatest cars ever built). I did not think I would like the new Diplomat models, but I actually have become rather fond of them, so far as new cars go.
    77CDV likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Sorry such a terrible thing happened to your friend. IDK how to saw this without seeming insensitive....I need a windshield for mine! Yes, I'm a vulture. I'm pretty far from you, but keep me in mind if you buy it for parts. I'm sure I'll need some other things too.

----------

Just saw this... Keep me in mind anyway!

Thing is, I didn't know the guy that well. Was a friend's brother, that I met through my GF. They're all good people so I wanted to pay my respects. Not being totally comfortable, I didn't want to make it obvious that I was negotiating the purchase of the hearse at this guy's wake.

But there I was, in the office talking shop with the owner. And that happened to be where the water cooler was, where everyone was filling up because it was hot outside. But, I didn't know many people at the wake so most assumed I worked there.

I'll give the guy a call tomorrow. I just dig unique cars. Hearses and limos are unique and built for specific purposes. They come with a certain amount of curiosity, particularly the old ones.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    Just saw this... Keep me in mind anyway!
    No worries - I will.
    Faith76 likes this.

Talked to the owner today. He said fortunately (or unfortunately) it's been really busy at the funeral home. Hasn't had time to deal with the old Caddies. Said he won't make a move without talking to me first. So I'll let it soak for another week or so. I'm not in a hurry, but it would really be nice to add another professional car to the collection.

Talked to the owner today. He said fortunately (or unfortunately) it's been really busy at the funeral home. Hasn't had time to deal with the old Caddies. Said he won't make a move without talking to me first. So I'll let it soak for another week or so. I'm not in a hurry, but it would really be nice to add another professional car to the collection.
    When you say professional car, it makes it sound like it was used in a bordello.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.