Interior lights won't turn off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Interior lights won't turn off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, does any of you have ever had problems with the interior lights? Mine first did not want to ...
    yenciny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 78 coupe deville

Interior lights won't turn off

Hey guys, does any of you have ever had problems with the interior lights? Mine first did not want to turn off, and my power lock stopped working. I have changed the dimmer switch, the headlight switch. Nothing. As of today my dash lights went out as well. I took the dash apart, seems like everything is OK...
    I don't know how to proceed? Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Interior lights won't turn off

It has an illuminated entry timer switch. It is located on the left side behind the light switch just below the left speaker. It's white in color.
    Let me get a visual here.
    You open door, lights come on, door closed, lights still on. Insert key in ignition, turn key over to start, lights should go off , but in your case, lights still on, right?

----------

Dash can be a fuse. I don't recall which one at the moment. Maybe someone else can chime in...

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

I/P fuse is 5 amp.....the courtesy lights are on the lighter fuse ........the illuminated entry will be on will be on GA trans fuse and or body fuse. Most times this issue is a ground problem but not always.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Check the yellow BODY fuse 20 amp or If it has the old style glass fuses check all of them with the key on, car off, with a test light. If it blows the power door locks quit and the interior lights stay on dimly. Usually caused by a shorted cigarette lighter socket front or back. Check all sockets for tin foil or dimes etc. Also this fuse can blow by using a loose socket phone charger in a lighter socket. Dash lights quitting is also probably a fuse caused by replacement of the headlight switch and you not having the battery disconnected while replacing.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The wire can also come off the switch at the door and cause the lights to stay on if it touches the metal of the car. You probably have multiple problems since it didn't all just start at once.

yenciny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 78 coupe deville

Thanks for the ideas guys. Sorry that I did not write here sooner, just had no time... So, meantime my dashlights are back, all by themselves, they just started working again... Hopefully they stay that way. Carnut: that is exactly how it is. My lights are on dimly, and my power doors quit. I did check that BODY fuse before, and it is blown. I replaced it, everything worked perfectly, but than it blew again in about half an hour. I checked the front lighter, that looks fine, but my daughter loves to play on the backseat, maybe she did manage to stick something in one of the rear lighters. I will check it first thing in the morning. I will let you know.
    Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.