Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille

Firemist Blue/White Leather 72K. Its been sitting for 7 years, five of those outside. Started up a year ago and has stabiliser in the tank. I’m a little worried about the timing gears…rumour has it that the plastic gear is prone to getting brittle after 36 years and breaking. I do have a Royes steel replacement but fitting that seems to be quite a task! Thoughts on that chaps please!
    I’m thinking …renewing all the fluids and oil/fuel filters, spark plugs (the plug wires were replaced just before it was laid up). What about wheel bearings, diff, brakes, suspension etc? Would appreciate any ideas or opinions. Thanks guys. I intend to get Blueboy back in shape and repainted in time. The plusses are a dash with no cracks and interior that is in 7/10 condition. Will need a new vinyl top too!
    Caddys Rule!
    Rock on
    77CDV likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Blueboy, reviving a 1976 coupe de ville

BluBoy_01_LR.jpg
    Blueboy 10 years ago. Drove from Los Angeles to NAshville...didn't miss a beat!
    77CDV, pompste, nebulosity and 1 others like this.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Ten years ago she was a beauty. How about some current pictures.

Good luck!

Tom C.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Yeah that picture looks great! shame he had to sit so long!

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

My very first car would have been a 76 cadillac coupe, guy wanted $500 and all I had was half, wouldn't except half and other half a week later. Once I had all my money, car was already sold. It was green with a white top. Interior was horrendous. I was told the owner let the dog be inside car constantly and tore up the interior bad....
    Still it was a nice caddy...
    Good luck with this one. Please do post current pics...

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I just pulled a 400 out of a 75 Impala with 120k miles last year. The plastic on the timing gears was perfect. It's the first time I have seen them in good shape like this but I think they can go 100k or so before failing. The engines I have taken apart with bad gears still ran fine before dis-assembly. I wouldn't stress over them too much.

UPDATE JULY 23RD 2013: Thanks folks. I'm getting some pics of Blueboy in current shape up here in the next day or two. Paintwork is not as bad as I first thought. This car had had a repaint just before I bought it in 1996. The paint job was not that good and had just been layered over the original finish. This has served as a sort of protectorate in a way. Rust around the base of the rear window where the vinyl top meets the body and also bottom of the trunk lid...not unusual. Most of the trim is in good shape and the chrome is pretty much in shape. The front bumper has been bent a a little outta shape. Will definitely need a vinyl top and paint job but mechanics first. We are going to fire up the engine next just to see if we can...! Then it will be fluids, filters, plugs and seals. The interior is in good shape...leather will need rejuvenating but no tears and most importantly no cracks on the dash! Found a few 'dirt dobber' nests inside the engine compartment and the wire wheel caps!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Glad Blueboy is in better shape than feared.

As someone who has owned 4 Cadillacs with the 472cu engine over 15 years and about 135,000 miles, the motor itself is likely to not be any problem!

My first (74 Fleetwood) I drove for 5 years, parked in a dirt floored shed for 5 years with no prep. Fired right up with old gas and all when time to remove it. (had 110,00 on it).

My second one (1976 Coupe de Ville) I drove it to 125,000 with a young broke guys maintenance. (Just kept it running and full of oil.) Never had a stitch of trouble with the engine and was running strong when sold on.

My third (1976 Fleetwood) I drove from 98,000 to 129,000 over several years. It was ten years old when I bought it and was a dependable family car when I was a broke young father of three.

My current one the original owner put 95,000 on it and in 1986 parked it in his backyard due to emission fail. It sat until I bought it and was started and driven onto the car carrier!

Blueboy will fire up. I have no doubt from my personal experience.

Glad to have another of my favorite model Cadillac around here!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Sounds like a solid project! Can't wait to hear of your progress. These are really solid cars mechanically. I don't forsee any major issues ahead. Good luck with your resto!

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Mines exactly the same but the color scheme is reversed!: Blue top with white body, and blue interior.

Definitely flushing ALL the fluids out i likely the best thing you can do for it. Mine sat in a warehouse for quite some time before i bought it, and the washer fluid had turned into a jello-like consistancy! So long as the brakes can stop the car okay, i wouldn't get TOO overly ambitious about replacing them, However i have toyed with the idea of replacing all the moving brake parts on mine just for safetys sake..

I was actually very surprised when i first got into the scene at how well built and reliable the 68 and up big block models are!

Welcome aboard, it's good to see another one getting a new lease on life.

nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    Blueboy 10 years ago. Drove from Los Angeles to NAshville...didn't miss a beat!
    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I am always scared to start an engine with old old oil in it. I would splurge $30 on some fresh oil before starting.
    nebulosity likes this.

We're going to do just that...new filter etc. Also fill up the gas tank with fresh premium fuel.
    A friend of mine's father in law used to work on these at the factory and told me the tolerances and even the quality of the metal used were far superior to other GM models. Unfortunately my driveway is chigger infested and I got severely bitten over the weekend. Looking around for an inside space to work. I tried putting air in the tyres but I think they are probably shot so first get the wheels off, shot blast them, paint and fit fresh boots. Pics soon guys...excited to get Blueboy back in shape.

BTW, I know there's a lot to do before I roll Blueboy but what experiences do fellow Caddites have regarding brakes, wheel bearings and suspension on a car left idle for so long ?

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I'd just look em over and see what needs to be replaced. Pull the back drums off and check that everything looks good. Maybe spray down with some brake parts cleaner incase there's anything built up on there that you can't really see.

Take the car out for a little ride on an empty street if possible before you start replacing anything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.