Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree45Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Tim, I have thought of you and Blueboy several times over the winter, we have had it bad up ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille

Hi Tim, I have thought of you and Blueboy several times over the winter, we have had it bad up here too. (Not unusual for us.)
    The only thing that comes to mind reading your list and comparing it to my own for my 74, is the short rubber lines that lead from the metal brake line to the piston. I don't know that it is needed, but it seemed prudent to me to do them while I am under there and dirty.
    Mine sat for 20 years so the shape of such things is far worse, but failure of one would be an unfortunate experience. I also had the power steering line on mine fail and got a replacement off ebay for around $25. One of the two lines is fitted with metal couplings on the ends, the other is just a length of hi pressure hose which I bought bulk at a parts store. 400 PSI if I recall correctly.
    I also bought and have yet to install the formed lower rad hose and plan on replacing all rad and heater hoses when I flush and fill.
    Here is a link to my project thread where the PS hoses are pictured.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post10556234

Good to see you back at it, I will be a couple weeks behind you by the time it warms up up north here!
    Dave

Jbmoffo is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

Re: Blueboy, reviving a 1976 coupe de ville

cadillaczac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS
    Blueboy,

I've enjoyed reading about your 76. I have a 73 that has been sitting for three years now, that I plan on getting back on the road. Hopefully she will just start with a jump like yours, old gas and all. It was parked with about a third of a tank of premium, so maybe it won't be too gummed up.

My brother had the car repainted about four years ago, and it has been stored outside but under a decent cover so the paint still looks great. It was parked due to a leaky radiator, and no prep was done to store it. He didn't plan on letting it sit for so long, but he didn't have the money to put into it at the time. He has since moved to Canada, so he sold the car to me.

My car is also located in Nashville at my parents' house, but I live in Asheville NC now so it's going to be tricky to get her going while living 300 miles away...

Hopefully by the end of the summer I will get her going again!
    pompste and talismandave like this.

blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Gosh what a crazy winter we've had here in Nashvegas! I've had no chance of working on Blueboy at all :-( However, we have finally turned the corner and the weather is now improved somewhat. I finally got the non functioning bulbs out of the rear light clusters and replaced the rear passenger side ok and reinstalled...working fine but I'm having problems getting the replacement stop and turn light bulbs in the driver's side cluster ...grrrh! I've also found that the turn indicator flasher unit is kaput and they tell me in the manual that I have to remove the steering wheel to replace same ! Anyone got an easier method? We installed the replacement headl;amp sealed units but no light? I will check the 'awkward to replace' in line fuse (my goodness they did make it difficult to repair these cars....as for that bloody main fuse box position!!!) Once the lights are all working I will roll Blueboy to my local car guy to have all the seals, hoses, fluids replaced, brake lines/pads/shoes checked and replaced where necessary. My theory is to get Blue mechanically up to scratch and riding well then address the bodywork/interior. Oh and I can't get the heater to chuck out any heat ????

blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm guilty! Haven't done much work on Blueboy at all this spring/summer. I did get to drive around the block and all in all Blueboy behaved. I'd forgotten just what a huge vehicle the 76 Coupe De Ville is...dam wide!
    I have managed to prime and paint the top where I pulled off the vinyl roof. My next job is going to be filling in the base of the trunk lid and attempting to repair the bad corrosion below the back window. I've cleaned the window corrosion and covered it with antirust paint (POR) It seems to be fine after six months, no rust apparent so its fill and sand next and I will have top put a fibre bandage up from underneath to hold the filler in place. Mechanically the oil change. trans filter and fluid are next and then I will look at the brakes. I have cleaned and replaced the lights all round, renewing the bulbs where necessary. I have a few problems! Although the emergency flashers work the turn indicators do not flash on and off. I presume this is a different flasher unit to the emergency unit? I have looked this up in the manual and it seems the flasher unit is on the steering column is this correct? Also the headlights are refusing to light up? I presume that this is the inline fuse? I'm not very good at electrics and the design of the fuses, circuitry are not exactly easy to deal with...gosh that fuse box is such a pain to get to!
    So, if anyone has a tips on the lights, turn indicators, headlights and their respective fuses I would really appreciate your help.
    One other point. I have tried the heat/air and discovered that the only position of the climate control unit that works is full on and it doesn't get hot! One would have expected it to do so considering how hot the engine bay gets when idling for any amount of time! As I expected the AC is not working and that maybe a number of things but is the climate control unit subject to failure and should I consider a replacement? Can one get them repaired ?
    Once the brakes have been checked I will take Blueboy to my local shop where they can get the car up on a lift and we can check out the diff, brake and fuel lines, trans and generally look at the bottom of the car. Fortunately Blueboy starts easily and seems to run well. I'm putting 93 octane fuel in the tank.
    I have kept up with the prices of these cars on the market and it seems that they are rising yearly. Not yet in stratospheric areas but certainly getting to be worth saving these fabulous examples of classic American land yachts!
    Rock on
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.