Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Reviving a 1976 Coupe deVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Great news, but not surprising. These old beasts want to run! Give them abuse and they reward you with undeserved ...
    talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Blueboy, reviving a 1976 coupe de ville

Great news, but not surprising. These old beasts want to run! Give them abuse and they reward you with undeserved loyalty!

I have done it(unfortunately), and seen it over and over again. They are a hard car not to love.

blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Started up second try this morning. I'm amazed that the 8/9 year old battery is holding enough charge to start !
    This week will see all the fluids/filters drained and renewed, plugs extracted (ooh that rear passenger side is a bugger...grrrh!), replaced or cleaned and gaps reset. Will check the diff oil and renew or top up. Flush the cooling system and check/charge the A/C.
    Then we will get her off the ground and look at the brakes, suspension et al. Hopefully we will be ready to test drive in a week or two.
    Has anyone tips for removing the trim without damaging same especially the vinyl top that will definitely need replacing? I have noticed that trim is very expensive to replace so I do not want to damage it on removal. Full workshop manual arrived today!

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Get the proper trim removal tools. You may only use them once but they'll be worth it. I'm not sure which ones you'll need for this car but you may need a couple different ones.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

It has been a while since I did mine, but I think that was covered in the Body Manual, not the shop manual.
    77CDV likes this.

I've ordered up some roof rail replacement rubber to get the doors/windows sealed properly. I need to address the interior pretty soon, the leather is like cardboard and it may be that the front seat will need replacement at least on the drivers seat side although I'm about to order some rejuvenating oil and cleaner from http://www.leatherique.com/products.html Has anyone had experience with this company's product?
    I have been putting fresh 93 octane fuel in the tank 2 gallons at a time (gosh, I'd forgotten how awkward that gas filler behind the licence plate is when filling from a gallon container !). Starting up second or third go in the mornings....presume it will get easier when I finally get the plugs out, clean and gap and a new battery...can ya believe this 8 year old one is holding a charge? Transmission oil needed a top up. Haven't got to check the diff yet. Firing up once a day....a little lumpy' at first but after a few minutes the idle settles down and pumping the throttle gives instant response. Quite remarkable considering how long she was abandoned.........I feel guilty at times but I know she loves me :-)

A slight hitch this morning :-( I tried to start up and just got click's...no starter engagement. I did have a Viper alarm system installed around 2000 and it maybe that this has compromised the electrical circuit although it has started up regularly since being brought back to my house. Here's what happened this am....The battery is fully charged so I put it back in the car. when I tried to start up it 'clicked' but not a wisp of turning over. Also there has been a clicking noise and the panel lights ....speedo, radio lights were flashing on and off as were the side lamps...but intermittently ??? Strange stuff. On reading the workshop manual I realise that the electrical system on these cars is very complicated. Next step is to take off the lower steering column panel and start going through the fuses and wiring under there. We will check the starter motor too. If anyone has advice regarding electrics and electrical wiring on these cars, post info please. Thanks for all the help here...what a boon to those of us reviving these fabulous cars :-)

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Either the battery is not really fully charged or there's a loose connection in a high current area of the wiring. Most likely right at the batt terminals.

Charging right now. Checking connections. Probably need a new battery...this one is eight years old and I'm surprised its still got any ability to hold a charge!

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

If the charger has a meter that reads "charged" take it with a grain of salt. Headlights make a cheap load tester.

The workshop manual that I bought on ebay for $30 arrived :-) I am fascinated by the wealth of information contained therein! The detailed instructions for removing and repairing almost everything on the car is most impressive. Makes one wonder at the workmanship and the great mechanics that kept these cars running back in the day. No wonder I can't find any mechanics who will work on this car...they don't have the skills or the knowledge anymore. When a modern car goes wrong they just unplug the offending part and plug in a new one! Don't get me wrong I have a recording studio that is full of computers...I love them and I've been a Mac person since 1989 but give me a Studer 16 track 2 inch analog tape recorder any day...would match up with Blueboy perfectly!
    Rock on my friends!
    talismandave likes this.

OK, I think I may have partly solved the 'clicking' and not starting problem. Way back in 2001 I had a Viper alarm/remote door lock and a Custom Sound 'vintage' look AM/FM radio/CD changer(unit in the trunk) fitted. It worked perfectly and it never gave me a problem. However, I dropped the under dash cover and gosh! the Viper Alarm unit fell out along with a whole bunch of wiring! The Viper unit was where the clicking was coming from. I pulled the big multi connector from its side and turned the starter.....hey presto engine fired up! I'm useless at electrical stuff so I'm on the hunt for a good auto electrician. BTW the metal bar to which the under dash cover affixes is well rusty...presume there maybe rust in other hidden interior parts :-( I will start pulling the interior apart soon.

----------

PS, I love almost everything about Blueboy. One exception..... the dam fuse box location !

Pulled the side lights, headlamps and their respective trim today. Thought as good soak in soapy water might do them good...hope that leans up the plastic anyway. Then I'll try some of that plastic lens cleaner stuff that is supposed to bring modern plastic light lens back to life. 9see pics) After they will be put aside until after the paint job. Then front passenger side bumper end piece has got bent (see pic) ...probably in transit...didn't notice until after the transporter had left...grrrh! Still it needs to come off anyway for the paint job. After looking it up in the manual and reading about the energy absorbing unit...it seems quite a tough job getting the bumper off and back on again!
    FrontBumoerRH_001.JPGLights&Trim.JPG

Here's a pic of a neat job on a vinyl padded top. Not as per factory bit it looks like it might be a sensible way to go...any comments? Well I say that but for some reason it won't let me attach the pic up and its only 156KB ?????

Classic L is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el

Congrats on your resto project. It looks like it's coming along. I love 76 Coupe Devilles, am in the process of acquiring one myself. Plus I'm into recording music, (ahhh, two inch tape machines) on Mac platform and have a brother in Tennessee. I might check for you one day when I come down there. I recall you mentioning starting to have issues with your interior that you had previously been quite happy with. I don't know what condition it is in now, but I use Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my leather seats (of my 95 Concours) and I love the result. Plus I know several detailers who say it's a good product. Some people may disagree or have something they like better, but it's what I know to be good and just thought I'd share that. Continued success and positive vibrations.

Classic L.....yes do check with me if you visit..I have a recording studio here and yes, Mac based. My friend Dan Penn has an all analog studio...2 inch Ampex 16 track, MCI 500 series and lots of old analog outboard gear. I recorded my solo album, 'A Little Bit Of Soul' at Dan's 'Memphis Room' in 2001 with the Muscle Shoals boys and The Memphis Horns. All in the studio at the same time...well, the Memphis Horns were in the garage! No way one can get that feel any other way :-) Yes love those 76 CDV's...this one looks very nice for $5K http://www.carsonline-ads.com/colsit...ostingID=54003
    Keep on Rocking!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.