Front/Rear Bumper Removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Front/Rear Bumper Removal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ........... This is going to sound obnoxious, but... I really want to store the Caddy in my garage, and not ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Front/Rear Bumper Removal

This is going to sound obnoxious, but... I really want to store the Caddy in my garage, and not miles away in some uncovered space in a public storage unit after it must leave my friends' driveway.

The problem is that my garage's max length is 216" on the generous side, but actually, I'm not sure that there is more than 210" of space given that there is a shelf installed on the wall in the front with angled supporting beams. And last time I measured my Caddy, it was something like 220" long. Sorry that you can't really see it too well at the moment, but this is the shelf I'm talking about...

gsmIMG_3297.jpg

My Miata is currently residing in the garage. As you can see, with the Boxes in front, it's even cozy for the Miata. I'll be cleaning out everything under the shelf, on the side of the garage and putting all those boxes into storage. Now all I have to do is get the Caddy to physically FIT into the garage, which is why I'm motivated to take the front bumper off (and perhaps some other parts behind the bumper) to free up at least 10" of length from the Caddy.

gsmIMG_3298.jpg

AM I CRAZY????

I've spent a little time reading through my shop manual about how to remove the front bumper, but what's not clear to me is how much time and effort this kind of endeavor would take.
    Can anybody give me a general idea of how much work (e.g. how many hours, how many parts --a million parts or only a few, etc) I'd be getting myself into by removing the front part of the Caddy?

Please tell me if I'm crazy.

gsmIMG_3299.jpg

gsmIMG_3300.jpg

gsmIMG_3301.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Getting 10" off the car will be cutting it close. Dropping the back bumper will gain you maybe 4 or 5 inches if you drop the fillers too. The front bumper might get you 5 or 6 inches or so. Leave the bumper shocks on the car unless you want to have fun readjusting the bumpers (I've done it with my front bumper....not exactly fun).
    nebulosity likes this.

Re: Front/Rear Bumper Removal

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Getting 10" off the car will be cutting it close. Dropping the back bumper will gain you maybe 4 or 5 inches if you drop the fillers too. The front bumper might get you 5 or 6 inches or so. Leave the bumper shocks on the car unless you want to have fun readjusting the bumpers (I've done it with my front bumper....not exactly fun).
    Good to know -- thanks!!

Any idea how long it takes to remove either bumper?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Maybe it is because I have always been more of a builder than a mechanic, but I think it would be easier to build a 2 ft bump-out the size of your door and temporarily mount the door out more. You would have to forget the opener, and depending how your spring mounts work, possibly mount it on some big hinges to swing out to one side.

7 eight ft. 2X4s, 1 4X8 siding, 1 piece of exterior ply for the "roof", 2 big gate hinges and a qt. of paint. It can be removed and leave only a couple of screw holes on each side to be puttied when you are done and want to return to original.
    It may take as long to do as the bumpers, but would give you room to walk in front of car to do work on it instead of just shoehorning it in.

My 2 cents.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

The other option is a car cover, depending on your driveway and the amount of room your sitting Caddy would take - a quality car cover that breathes is pretty close protection wise to what the garage would offer. I covered my old Mustang for a winter, summer, and another winter in a snowy Canadian climate with no noticeable degradation in the car about 5 years ago.

Then again, what do I know - I'm willing to fork out to rent out a garage or small warehouse come winter for mine if we don't find a suitable house to move to.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Maybe it is because I have always been more of a builder than a mechanic, but I think it would be easier to build a 2 ft bump-out the size of your door and temporarily mount the door out more.
    I live in an apartment and am not allowed to modify the garage.

If I owned the place, I'd just let the garage door rest on the rear bumper.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    The other option is a car cover, depending on your driveway
    I forgot to mention that I don't have a driveway.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

So about removing those bumpers then....
    SilverCoupe and nebulosity like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    For removing the bumpers, there are 4 nuts on each side on the end of the bumper shocks you need to remove. These nuts are on threaded shafts that are welded to a piece of steel inside the bumper (thats not part of the bumper). You want to back them off equally to about halfway then back 3 of the 4 off all the way and leave the fourth one (which you want to be one of the top ones) just a few threads left. Then you get a friend to hold the bumper while you take the last 2 bolts off. BTW, one of the threaded shafts may break the weld that holds it to the bar in which case it will spin freely. It you can hold the threaded shaft in place, get the nut off. If it won't back off, you'll need to cut it off with a sawzall.
    With the rear bumper, when it is off, have your friend hold it up a couple inches from the car while you disconnect the lights and fiberoptic lines from the lenses.
    (I'll have to take pics when I get home tonight and show you what I mean by the threaded shafts being welded to a brace and how they stick through the bumper).
    nebulosity likes this.

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Maybe it is because I have always been more of a builder than a mechanic, but I think it would be easier to build a 2 ft bump-out the size of your door and temporarily mount the door out more. You would have to forget the opener, and depending how your spring mounts work, possibly mount it on some big hinges to swing out to one side.

7 eight ft. 2X4s, 1 4X8 siding, 1 piece of exterior ply for the "roof", 2 big gate hinges and a qt. of paint. It can be removed and leave only a couple of screw holes on each side to be puttied when you are done and want to return to original.
    It may take as long to do as the bumpers, but would give you room to walk in front of car to do work on it instead of just shoehorning it in.

My 2 cents.
    I have also seen people remove the door and replace it with a heavy tarp.
    For long term would have to do something to keep the tarp from rubbing the vehicle.
    nebulosity likes this.

So about removing those bumpers then....
    Yup....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    BTW, one of the threaded shafts may break the weld that holds it to the bar in which case it will spin freely.
    "the bar"? What part is this? if you can get a photo when you get home of the bar or the weld that might break, that would be most excellent!!

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Car covers usually are OK on cars stored indoors. Otherwise they invite trouble.

Removing the front bumper isn't a bad idea. Not sure if it will get what you need though. I'd take the bumper shocks right out of the frame still attached to the bumper because that will gain more space. The bolt marks on the frame will be obvious upon re-installation unless the car has already been wrenched upon there.

There are a pair of bumper strut supports which go up to the tin. Those can be removed on the tin side instead of the bumper side. I'd consider hitting those with WD-40 or similar a week in advance. They have clip nuts which will fall apart if the threads bind.
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Thats gonna be close. I think the caddy is 221". The bumpers are a two man job but pretty easy to remove. You'll easily see what bolts need to come off when you get under it. Front is about 30/45 minutes, same with the back. The tailights come out first, then the bumper. Remember, if you remove the bumpers, the first things that will be damaged are the fillers if you hit the wall.
    nebulosity likes this.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

it would be best to just unbolt and remove the entire bumper with the shocks still attached to them, called energy absorbing units, that way you won't fuss with trying to align them back on. You'll find it in your manual in chapter 2 section B, if it is the same as mine, lol.
    The bar someone here is referring to, is the reinforcement bar behind the chrome facade of the bumper. Maybe if you remove the front bumper and front headerpanel it will give you the clearence you need up front.

----------

you can see what I mean in the top pic of your post
    nebulosity likes this.

fyi, I just posted relevent pics (mostly for my own reference) on my project page, here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post10556034

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    it would be best to just unbolt and remove the entire bumper with the shocks still attached to them, called energy absorbing units, that way you won't fuss with trying to align them back on. You'll find it in your manual in chapter 2 section B, if it is the same as mine, lol.
    I'll definitely think about doing that. XD Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    The bar someone here is referring to, is the reinforcement bar behind the chrome facade of the bumper. Maybe if you remove the front bumper and front headerpanel it will give you the clearence you need up front.

you can see what I mean in the top pic of your post
    Ah, okay, I see it now.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Id just take the bumpers off and leave the shocks. It's no big deal doing that and putting them back on that way either and you have less weight to deal with when you're taking it apart, moving them, and putting it back together too.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.