Front/Rear Bumper Removal - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Front/Rear Bumper Removal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by brougham Id just take the bumpers off and leave the shocks. It's no big deal doing that ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Front/Rear Bumper Removal

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    Id just take the bumpers off and leave the shocks. It's no big deal doing that and putting them back on that way either and you have less weight to deal with when you're taking it apart, moving them, and putting it back together too.
    Thanks for the advice! We might end up needing to take them off to gain the space. I've only been able to approximate it, but I think I'm going to need to shave off about 10" from the Caddy's length to get it to fit in our garage. :/ I'm probably going to end up taking off most of the front end up to the radiator. It'll be worth it though.. I'll be able to have my Caddy 10' from me so I can keep working on it, and I'll save about $80-100/month by not having to put it in storage.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Measure twice, pull the bumpers once. That would suck so bad if you pulled the bumpers and the car still won't fit!
    nebulosity likes this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I've removed and installed these bumpers myself a few times now. They're very heavy!

What I found worked well for me (especially in reinstalling) was to fold up a cotton dish cloth (the larger ones for drying dishes) and put that on a floor jack, then jack from the center of the bumper to get it at the right height. It will balance and you can wheel the jack forward and backwards to get closer to the vehicle (carefully)

When reinstalling (especially the rear bumper) be careful for your tail light fillers. They can be brittle depending on the climate you live in and can snap. The fillers need to fit inside the chrome housings. On my 87 they were still very pliable but I live up north where it's cold and we don't get much dry heat to dry them out like some southern states.

In the end, as already stated, it may or may not get you the clearance you need. Measure it real good before you attempt because putting these bumpers back on and lining them up can be a pain in the ass. And be careful not to scratch the chrome!
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    Measure twice, pull the bumpers once. That would suck so bad if you pulled the bumpers and the car still won't fit!
    It would! I'll measure three times just to be sure.....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    In the end, as already stated, it may or may not get you the clearance you need. Measure it real good before you attempt because putting these bumpers back on and lining them up can be a pain in the ass. And be careful not to scratch the chrome!
    I definitely will. Thanks for the advice! We're spending several days planning this whole thing out.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

these are what I was talking about that like to break, but if you drop the shocks and bumper together, you won't have issues with these breaking. BTW, the plate you see it mounted to is the back plate of the rear bumper.

nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    these are what I was talking about that like to break, but if you drop the shocks and bumper together, you won't have issues with these breaking. BTW, the plate you see it mounted to is the back plate of the rear bumper.
    Oh! I think those are the shims. We're probably going to end up just taking the bumper shocks and bumper off in one piece. Thanks SO much for the photos!

the shims go over the studs. You can see in the second picture where the shims used to be. The two thin strips of discoloration that go around the studs, that's from the shims. The plate he's showing is actually inside the bumper and that's where the mounting studs are welded on. when you take the bumpers off make sure you don't drop that plate with the studs inside the bumper or you'll have to take the whole thing apart to get it back out. They usually have lock washer type things on them but I've taken some apart where the locks were rusted out and the plates fell into the bumper.
    nebulosity likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I've never had the bolts in the bumper break, especially being a cali car that shouldn't be a problem.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham
    I've never had the bolts in the bumper break, especially being a cali car that shouldn't be a problem.
    Yeah, I'd imagine that is more of a midwest/ northern problem.
    nebulosity likes this.

I've never had one break off either. I have had the whole plate with all 4 studs fall into the bumper though and that was no fun. lol.

Now I make sure to put atleast one nut back on after removal
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider
    I've never had one break off either. I have had the whole plate with all 4 studs fall into the bumper though and that was no fun. lol.

Now I make sure to put atleast one nut back on after removal
    They wouldn't break off (i.e. shear). The welds (or whatever keeps them in place) would break and they would freely spin, so you couldn't get the nut off. I always found it easier to cut through them with a sawzall.
    nebulosity likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    They wouldn't break off (i.e. shear). The welds (or whatever keeps them in place) would break and they would freely spin, so you couldn't get the nut off. I always found it easier to cut through them with a sawzall.
    I thought they were just carriage bolts with some sort of clip that held them in place. I have a bumper I bought last year in pieces, I should dig them out and look. It was lot rustier them the pic yet the nuts came off fine. I was surprised how small that hardware was for how heavy the bumpers are. They're the smallest bolts I've ever seen on a metal bumper.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    I thought they were just carriage bolts with some sort of clip that held them in place. I have a bumper I bought last year in pieces, I should dig them out and look. It was lot rustier them the pic yet the nuts came off fine. I was surprised how small that hardware was for how heavy the bumpers are. They're the smallest bolts I've ever seen on a metal bumper.
    After reading this, I checked my bumper and they were not held on by a clip, but 3 welds per bolt to that bracket they are sitting on
    nebulosity likes this.

I know that this thread has been inactive for a long time, but I just wanted to update that the Caddy finally has its own garage, YAY!!!!

This garage is different than our primary garage, which is REALLY short, and we all know the '84 DeVille is massively LONG. It turns out that the Caddy's garage is bigger than our primary garage, but the Caddy was STILL THREE INCHES TOO LONG.

So what did we do? We took the front face off the bumper (in 20 minutes), and VOILA, the Caddy fit with only HALF an inch to spare! Talk about a tight fit!

I'm super stoked that the Caddy has its own safe space now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on removing the bumper... because of your guys' help, removal was SO easy and straight forward.
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.