After realizing that the bulk of the threads in here are about problems..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, After realizing that the bulk of the threads in here are about problems.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just wanted to share the sentiment that sometimes it's good to step back and take a look at why ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base - Metal tops hells yeah!

After realizing that the bulk of the threads in here are about problems..

I just wanted to share the sentiment that sometimes it's good to step back and take a look at why we willingly own these things. Some of us do it despite our significant others and family ("Get a more reliable car".. "Get a newer car".. is something I hear often from the wife), frustrations and venting about fixing this or that.. But days like today, when the car has seemingly fixed itself and drives like a dream, and I look at it and all it's nagging little issues that come with something that's 20 years old like paint, interior starting to wear, etc, I just spent 10 minutes in the driveway having a smoke and staring at the Fleetwood thinking "Goddamn I love this thing"..

It's not the most reliable, definitely not the best on gas, insurance is starting to creep up and parts are getting more difficult to find.. But when it all comes together and you take it for a spin, and you get the compliments/stares/neck snaps/thumbs up (in a neighbourhood full of 100k+ exotics), the silky smooth ride, and a sh!t eating grin on your face it all melts away and makes everything worth-while.

It's not perfect. But perfect for me and, apparently, a lot of you too.. Those of you with running cars, enjoy them. Those of you restoring, I promise it's worth it in the end and better than you remember..

I just wanted to make a positive post for once, just to balance out the break/fix stuff (which is great, btw..) You may all go back to your regularly scheduled programming..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham 1993 Cadillac Seville 4.9

Re: After realizing that the bulk of the threads in here are about problems..

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

No Crap isn't that the best thing since sliced bread?? Gotta love it.......

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I understand and I could not agree with you more!

Mine hasn't turned a wheel in 6 months and with it stripped and half way through body work looks like it is waiting for it's turn in the crusher. Most people would not even bother with it, but to me I still see the beautiful car that I bought in 79 when I was just a kid.
    When everyone else in the building looks at it they see the mismatched paint and several colors of primer. I see the bold classic lines of the design.
    Everyone else would be embarrassed to walk past it sitting in their stall. I go out of my way every time I leave or return to my home, just to walk past it several times each day. It still lifts my heart and spirits and fills me with the pride of my 19 year old heart, those many years ago.

Thank you for the chance to pause for a moment to remember what the car, the hobby, and this forum means to me.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    I just spent 10 minutes in the driveway staring at the Fleetwood thinking "Goddamn I love this thing".
    Thats it right there. Love those moment.

Damn Dave.. that's a sweet ride.. Get that sucker back on the road I'd hate to see you lose interest in this project only to let it languish for decades ending in a state of non-repairable decay.. Been there. Seen it. I dig that you've had that thing since you were 19 though.. Bodes well

I'm getting ready to pull mine off the road this winter and do what amounts to a frame-off resto with major modern performance and cosmetic "Foose-like" body/interior tweaks and improvements. The only thing I love more than body-on-frame Cadillacs (growing up European in the 70's and 80's, Cadillacs were the unobtainable forbidden fruit for most - when I finally found mine it didn't disappoint even after having driven modern European luxo-barges) is sailboats, but I've decided to do the car first, and buy the next boat second. I just know that otherwise I'd get distracted and spread thin between the two.. Difficult on a lower-to-middle class salary with a pseudo-but-awesome-wife and pseudo-but-awesome-child, but one step at a time.. It'll get done.
    talismandave likes this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    My caddy seeming constantly needs work and delays cause it to sit, but I love it, and am reminded of how much I love it every time I drive it. Sure most people see a clapped out car that sounds like a redneck camaro and is missing half its trim, all but 1.5 of its fillers, alot of its interior and one hubcap, but I see a magnificent work of art in progress.

vicello93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 sedan deville
    This is very good, I feel the same way. I always loved cars and since I was 5, when I saw a 70's caddy I knew I had to buy one. So one year before I got my license I saw this 79 sdv in the back of this gas station with a for sale sign on the dash. It wasn't in a good condition but I loved it.. So one month after I got my license I went to see this caddy and well I bought it! For $600 that was three years ago. My dad wanted me to get rid of it but I bought with my own money and I was gonna restore it. So my caddy went from a old junk yard look a like car to a nice classic cruiser I'm very proud of my car and specially because I did all the work myself, and I had the privilege to learn how to work on cars in this classic. And yeah every time I get extra money around first thing I think.... Buy parts! Haha I love it! Well that being said cars are a passion, u buy them, u customize/restore them and they become part of u.
    Poda, nebulosity and talismandave like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    Damn Dave.. that's a sweet ride.. Get that sucker back on the road I'd hate to see you lose interest in this project only to let it languish for decades ending in a state of non-repairable decay.. Been there. Seen it. I dig that you've had that thing since you were 19 though.. Bodes well

I'm getting ready to pull mine off the road this winter and do what amounts to a frame-off resto with major modern performance and cosmetic "Foose-like" body/interior tweaks and improvements. The only thing I love more than body-on-frame Cadillacs (growing up European in the 70's and 80's, Cadillacs were the unobtainable forbidden fruit for most - when I finally found mine it didn't disappoint even after having driven modern European luxo-barges) is sailboats, but I've decided to do the car first, and buy the next boat second. I just know that otherwise I'd get distracted and spread thin between the two.. Difficult on a lower-to-middle class salary with a pseudo-but-awesome-wife and pseudo-but-awesome-child, but one step at a time.. It'll get done.

Thanks. I that is two different cars. My original I had for ten years and the winter road salt finally took it from me. Damn tin-worm! I figured I would never see another one in my lifetime because they only made 1800 of them. I had stripped the interior and intended to "build" another one from a regular Fleet. In 94 I got divorced and lost my interior due to storage restrictions of my "new" life. I also lost my computer and never replaced it. I finally bought a computer in 2012 and now with the internet I found this one in Sacramento on Ebay.

Funny you mention sailboats....another weakness of mine also. I grew up on a 39.4 sq. km lake here in Madison and have been itching to get a boat again. I have been watching Craigslist for 20-22 ft. weekenders with a small cabin and have held off for the same reason. I want to get the Cadillac done first.

If you are interested here is a link to my "too long inactive" build thread! http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...k-life-my.html
    Poda likes this.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

+ Fleetwood on this topic

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Funny you mention sailboats....another weakness of mine also. I grew up on a 39.4 sq. km lake here in Madison and have been itching to get a boat again. I have been watching Craigslist for 20-22 ft. weekenders with a small cabin and have held off for the same reason. I want to get the Cadillac done first.
    l[/url]
    I had a 24ft Farr 727 I sailed on Lake Ontario before I gave it up due to circumstances two years ago. I regret it to this day (that thing was a rocket on the water), but I know I'll have another. My plans call for some offshore sailing, so the next one is going to be in the 35-45ft range, depending on what I can get. It's definitely going to be a buyer's market for the foreseeable future, so that bodes well for both of us If you're ever in my neck of the woods, get in touch -I still have friends with boats

Time to make your rebuild thread active again.. the sooner you finish that beast the sooner you can start shopping for 22 footers Plus I want to see it finished
    talismandave likes this.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Yes, there tends to be many fix/repair threads here, but that is because people love these cars so much they are willing to do the work. There is simply no other car made that compares to these.
    Here are some pics of my 78SDV I had. I bought her all beat up, and running poorly. I drove that car to college and back for a couple years, all the while slowly fixing her up. So much fun!
    This is an example of what some elbow grease, Duplicolor, and used parts can do to a neglected old Caddy.

After:

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    My caddy seeming constantly needs work and delays cause it to sit, but I love it, and am reminded of how much I love it every time I drive it.
    My feelings exactly. I found mine on Craigslist and drove the whole way out to Connecticut to find something in far worse shape than I had imagined. It was sitting in some hillbilly's front yard (yes, there are hillbillys in Connecticut - trust me). I asked him if it would make it 2.5 hours back to NJ and he just shrugged. I slapped some tags on it and chugged up his impossibly steep driveway. The limo hung up on the end of the driveway trying to exit because the air compressor was shot and its butt was dragging on the ground. I kept my chin up and drove the thing home, sometimes wondering if it was going to make it. SES light came on 15 minutes in and it had no power whatsoever. I could barely do 45 on the interstate, much to the chagrin of other drivers.

Just a week ago, my stepson (who used to be embarrassed of it) got out of it after I dropped his friends off at their respective houses and said "man that car has come along way". It meant a lot coming from a 15-year-old.

I have a long way to go, but every time I drive it I remember why I bought it in the first place.
    talismandave likes this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    My feelings exactly. I found mine on Craigslist and drove the whole way out to Connecticut to find something in far worse shape than I had imagined. It was sitting in some hillbilly's front yard (yes, there are hillbillys in Connecticut - trust me). I asked him if it would make it 2.5 hours back to NJ and he just shrugged. I slapped some tags on it and chugged up his impossibly steep driveway. The limo hung up on the end of the driveway trying to exit because the air compressor was shot and its butt was dragging on the ground. I kept my chin up and drove the thing home, sometimes wondering if it was going to make it. SES light came on 15 minutes in and it had no power whatsoever. I could barely do 45 on the interstate, much to the chagrin of other drivers.

Just a week ago, my stepson (who used to be embarrassed of it) got out of it after I dropped his friends off at their respective houses and said "man that car has come along way". It meant a lot coming from a 15-year-old.

I have a long way to go, but every time I drive it I remember why I bought it in the first place.
    I see a future time when he is going to be driving it more than you.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    I see a future time when he is going to be driving it more than you.
    I hope so. I don't get to ride in the back. Ever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.