Hardware/Parts Storage/Organization Methods For Big Projects
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
  • 2 Post By csbuckn
  • 1 Post By outsider
  • 1 Post By Poda
  • 1 Post By cadillac kevin
  • 1 Post By rodnok01
  • 1 Post By talismandave
  • 1 Post By lacville78
  • 1 Post By brougham
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Hardware/Parts Storage/Organization Methods For Big Projects in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After doing the timing chain on my Caddy, I really wish I had gone out and bought a hardware organizer ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Lightbulb Hardware/Parts Storage/Organization Methods For Big Projects

After doing the timing chain on my Caddy, I really wish I had gone out and bought a hardware organizer to keep track of all the nuts and bolts and brackets, and label the fronts of the drawers with sticky notes. Maybe something like this:

158025.jpg

For small projects, lining everything up in order of removal on a paper towel has always worked for me, but absolutely wouldn't work for my timing cover project.

(e.g. rebuilding the throttle body)
    Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 11.51.14 AM.png

Do you guys have any favorite methods for keeping track of your hardware while you're working on a semi-big project?

If you have a favorite organizer, post a picture if you can and let me know where you got it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Hardware/Parts Storage/Organization Methods For Big Projects

Zip Loc bags, the ones that you can label with a marker, for the small stuff. Plastic bins with the folding tops for the big.
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I use snack size ziplock bags.
    nebulosity and talismandave like this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

ziplock bags or coffee cans.
    nebulosity likes this.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

I have quite a sizeable stock of 3 sizes of cardboard boxes I got from my old work to store stuff I'm keeping - more organized than loose stuff on a shelf.. Zip lock bags for loose stuff that needs to go back on the car but not immediately, along with a note of the picture name, if I took one of the order things came off (I also lay out in the same pattern it would be on the car if I feel a bolt or nut needs to go in the same spot - those are marked with masking tape and numbered so I can re-lay them out according to the pictures once I empty the bag). Takes longer, and slightly compulsive, but since doing this I've NEVER been in a situation where I think I'm done and find a bolt or nut and wonder where the hell it goes.

For jobs that take less than, say, a weekend, I still do the layout, numbering gig, and picture but leave it layed out on the workbench in the garage. Any more than that and it goes into a zip-lock to avoid it accidentally getting knocked, moved, etc.

That said if I'm swapping, say, the alternator which is a simple belt removal and three bolts and takes all of 10 minutes, I don't bother with any of that..
    nebulosity likes this.

nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Wow, sounds like the ziplock bag method is quite popular.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Wow....you guys are organized. I have a pile of "important" parts in my dining room (that takes over most of the dining room...I never ate in there anyways) and my "non important" parts on shelves in my basement. I don't organize my screws (really should though). I have 4 or 5 jars of screws for inside the car and outside the car (I also have alot of junkyard car screws mixed in with my car screws.)

Also, I have a question. Currently my new doors are sitting in my basement on the ground. Would it be possible to hang them from the ceiling on flat bottomed hooks through the window openings? (I would be dropping the windows and removed the window trim or wrapping the hooks in thick foam)
    nebulosity likes this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

You should be able to. I don't know if the weight of the door would hurt the window frame but I don't think it would.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I don't write on ziplock bags anymore, it wears off, a post it note inside of bag.
    When trying to keep track of where bolts go I either get a piece of foam board or cardboard and stick the screws into it. Same system for oddball parts, tape or a nail where it belongs. Every now and then you get a project with 5 diff length bolt sizes. Laying under a car makes it real handy too, no more searching for the fastener.
    Of course snapping a pic helps...
    nebulosity likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Snack size zip-lock FTW!

For my household screws, being an hardware sales, I picked up all the organizers and sorted all by the size, style, and such. It took up a 6 foot shelf in my closet.
    After using that set-up for about three years I realized that it was way less efficient than my old method.

About a year ago I went back to my old method. Pint size Planters and Fishers nut cans and larger 1lb coffee style cans. Sorted only by style of screw. Pan head sheet metal, flat head sheet metal, etc. I have a box to carry them and a stainless serving platter to dump them on and pick out what I need.

I guess I have been disorganized for too many years to get organized now!

nebulosity likes this.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

I took all the chrome off the CDV, I used ziplock bags, and ripped some printer paper then labeled what parts it went to for the screws/ nuts and bolts. Along with any instructions I needed to remember. Then I saw my neighbor throw out an old ice chest, so all of it went in there. The parts are kind of simple to remember, but you can always tape a ziplock bag to it, with the info you need to remember.
    nebulosity likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I use ziplock bags and small boxes. The last car I had apart that far that you had to start labelling what stuff was for was before digital cameras made it big so you had to label things well.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.