Fuuuuuuddddge......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Fuuuuuuddddge...... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I went to move the car to position it in the shade for the A/C compressor swap. It's hot out ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Fuuuuuuddddge......

I went to move the car to position it in the shade for the A/C compressor swap. It's hot out today:

Car wouldn't start:

But I was using a spare key that gives me intermittent Passkey problems. I went and got my other key. Same thing.

I let the 3 minutes go by and the PASSKEY FAULT light went out. Still wouldn't crank. Tried it again, same thing. I left the key in the ON position and waited until the passkey light went out, then cranked. On the 2nd attempt, I shut the key off and then immediately tried to crank it. That worked.

Not sure if this is the beginning of the end of my lock switch, but I think I need to start shopping for resistors.

I had planned to fix the A/C today/tomorrow and take the car to a fundraiser a couple of hours away at the shore. Now I'm not so sure....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Fuuuuuuddddge......

21 views and no reply ?
    Come on guys, let's cheer this cool member up
    Wish you were talking about chocolate "fuuuuuuuuuuudddddddge" lol
    I know you recently had some input about faulty pass key fault as well . Well,I think it's worth fixing the A/C assuming you already did .How hard can it be ? You are a handy guy too
    I didn't like Pass Key Fault either .It's ,however, if it were as bad you could think it would be your tricks would have not worked at all
    mjs182004 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    21 views and no reply ?
    Come on guys, let's cheer this cool member up
    Wish you were talking about chocolate "fuuuuuuuuuuudddddddge" lol
    I know you recently had some input about a pass key fault as well . Well,I think it's worth fixing the A/C assuming you already did .How hard can it be ? You are a handy guy too
    I didn't like Pass Key Fault either .It's ,however, if it were as bad you could think it would be your tricks would have not worked at all
    Thanks!

I'm going to fix the A/C. I've already gone through the trouble of moving the thing, I might as well jack it up and get under it :-)

I'll get the compressor swapped out tonight and recharge it tomorrow. Hopefully it will continue to start. My GF is losing faith in the car after the transmission debacle in Vermont. A no-start condition in 90-degree heat at the shore might be a deal-breaker.

This is the first time the master key wouldn't work. Like I said, the spare has been troublesome but the original always worked until today.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

That sob would be staying put until the resistors were in place and AC fixed... too damn hot breaking down at home on thing on the road another.
    turbojimmy likes this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I hate the passkey system. Bypass it for sure.
    turbojimmy likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Can you get it flashed out the computer? If so, that'd be my route. Also vote not to drive it without a backup plan to get it home.
    Cadillacboy and turbojimmy like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

^This. You don't want to end up waiting for AAA to tow you home. I know what it's like having a Cadillac bigger than any of their roadside assistance vehicles.
    Cadillacboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    ^This. You don't want to end up waiting for AAA to tow you home. I know what it's like having a Cadillac bigger than any of their roadside assistance vehicles.
    Yeah, been there, done that. They won't tow it. They'll jump it or change a flat, though....

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Outta try getting a F350 long bed crew cab towed home... even when you tell them they show up with a Yugo tow truck. Great when you have to wait extra couple hrs..

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Outta try getting a F350 long bed crew cab towed home... even when you tell them they show up with a Yugo tow truck. Great when you have to wait extra couple hrs..
    The limo is 2 feet longer than that, and the wheelbase is a foot longer. AAA won't mess with it so I dropped them. I totally understand - it's a unique situation - but the only reason I pay them is in the event my old stuff breaks. Was worth it for the GN, but not the limo. I can jump it or change a tire myself.

----------

In other news, it was too hot to work on it tonight. I popped the hood. Stared at it. Had a Bud Light. Then another Bud Light. And so on and so forth until the urge to fix it dissipated. I'm a morning person. Going to get to it at the crack of dawn before it gets too hot again. Need that a/c working by tomorrow evening.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

tj, I had this happen, once, on my 94 Caprice wagon. After the panic subsided, I simply disconnected the battery, waited, reconnected it, and started it up. It's been fine for two years. As keys get worn, you can turn the lock tumbler before the key is bottomed out in the cylinder (and the VATS circuit completed). My advice would be to see how it goes. Consider getting a brand new key cut, but at least keep using your least worn key.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Wait, are F350's considered big vehicles these days?

God, what the hell is wrong with modern automotive designers.

Personally, I would just demand a flatbed. However, given local connections, I usually can call OTHER people and demand a flatbed. Worked when I visited Jacksonville for Stong's graduation and my car decided she did not want to leave St. Augustine (Via blown radiator) and that was about 100 miles from home.

Assistance arrived eleven minutes after I dialed the phone.

Still though, make sure that if you go and you are unsure of what your Cadillac is doing, that you will have a means to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    tj, I had this happen, once, on my 94 Caprice wagon. After the panic subsided, I simply disconnected the battery, waited, reconnected it, and started it up. It's been fine for two years. As keys get worn, you can turn the lock tumbler before the key is bottomed out in the cylinder (and the VATS circuit completed). My advice would be to see how it goes. Consider getting a brand new key cut, but at least keep using your least worn key.
    I do have a new key, and that's what it was doing. If I took it in and out of the lock cylinder a couple of times it would eventually work. But not yesterday. And the original key didn't work either. It must be on its way out.

It fired right up this morning. I don't know of the extreme heat had anything to do with it or not, but hopefully it will get through the weekend.

New compressor is *almost* done. I ran out of time before I had to get to real work this morning. I work out of the house so I'm going to sneak out and spend the 15 minutes required to finish up. I need to tighten up that stupid nut that goes into the block and then I can put it back on the ground. I hadn't opened up the box that the compressor came in until this morning. Instead of sending me a rebuilt unit like I originally purchased, they sent me a new Delphi unit. Nice.

Looking up from underneath the car I noticed that the water pump is leaking. Fabulous. Add that to The List.
    Cadillacboy likes this.

It's been holding at 30 in/hg for an hour now. No leaks!!!
    Cadillacboy and nebulosity like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.