95 Fleetwood Dies After Around 20 Minutes Running
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 95 Fleetwood Dies After Around 20 Minutes Running in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 95 Fleetwood. If cooled over the night, I can crank it like nothing is wrong. It will ...
    adamandevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Fleetwood

95 Fleetwood Dies After Around 20 Minutes Running

I have a 95 Fleetwood. If cooled over the night, I can crank it like nothing is wrong. It will run for about 20 minutes, then it just dies (cuts off). I cannot crank it back no matter what. After about an hour or two of cooling then I crank it back but will stay on about 5 minutes then and turn right back off again. I changed fuel filter to see if something to do with fuel or anything. Yet problem still exists. Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? It acts like it gets hot and has its own kill switch. Also no dashboard lights light up to indicate anything wrong when first cranked to when it cuts off on its own. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Re: 95 Fleetwood Dies After Around 20 Minutes Running

just a guess would be a bad fuel pump, but theres so many other possibilities with all the electronics...ignition control module, ect
    nebulosity likes this.

I changed water pump to make sure no heat problem and thermostat also. I took the small cap off behind motor and there is plenty of fuel pressure squirting fuel out. Also I opened gas cap and turned ignition to on position and I hear the pump running. So a few more things eliminated. Yet still have same trouble.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Any trouble codes? Check the stickied threads at the top of this forum for how to get access through the HVAC controls. Not all codes throw a CEL..

Trouble codes? I ain't seen any or either I am not looking in right spot for trouble codes. Nothing pops up on dash at anytime on vehicle though.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

When was the last time you checked or replaced the Temp. Sensor??

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I'm going with fuel pump also. Runs till it gets hot and then dies. I bet you have no fuel pressure when it dies. You can rent a fuel pressure tester for free at most autozones and oriellys, put it on the test nipple and see what pressure you get when it cuts off.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

My bet is its the coil.. That sounds just the way they act just before they go all together..

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

$5 bet? lol just playing.

Both easy to test. Spark tester is like five dollars if you dont do the "set it next to metal" test.

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

yea check these 3, all easy Fuel pump when it kills, the coil and the ignition control module

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

We replaced ignition control module , coils and distributor . It seems we have fixed stalling problem and extended cranking when shift in R or coming close to stop when in D .However, the car is not perfect at all .It still needs work down to spark plug wires

Update: I changed the distributor cap/rotor, coil. So total, now fuel filter, distributor cap/rotor, water pump, coolant temperature sensor. I am still having trouble but not like use too. Now when it gets hot it still dies and cuts off, but I am able to crank it back now, but it misses and skips now after getting hot. Any idea now on any thing? Thanks

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

have you done the plugs and wires? How about the EGR valve? Either of those could potentially cause those problems.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Fuel pump besides outsider's post . You said you had changed the filter but a weak pump could cause a stall I guess

Next on my list is change the fuel pump. Going to change plugs and wires also, but going to let uncle help on those on his car lift at his shop. My uncle said plugs and wires shouldn't cause the missing and skipping I am having now. If it was the plugs and/or wires it should do it first cranked up even when cool. It only misses and skips it seems after about 20 minutes of running when it starts getting hot good. Like before after about 20 minutes of running seems it gets warmed up good it auto turns itself off, but I could never crank it back until it was cooled off again. Now I can crank it back but longer it runs more the miss and skipping I get now. Again does not miss and skip when first cranked from being cool from over night rest, only after about 20 minutes of running and auto shuts off, then recrank it misses and skips.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.