Cadillac Owners Forum banner
7K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  elwesso 
#1 ·
I've been saying since January that October would be my time to trade.

Well, it's here.

And there's a '96 Fleetwood at a Caddy dealership in Memphis.

Black/Black/Black. I just talked to the internet sales manager. It was driven by a little old lady whose husband just died, so she bought a new DeVille. Most, if not all service records are from this dealership.

59,000 miles. Supposedly very clean, great condition, yada, yada, yada.

I don't think I should pay more than $12K for it. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

#52 ·
elwesso said:
I think if you dont like the car enough to want to drive it all the time, then dont get it..... Its not like you need to get the car to impress someone.....

Do you not like cars like the 98 sts or something along those lines???
I can't think of ANY car I've ever owned that I wanted to drive all the time. I've always liked variety. Good thing that after I got married, I didn't continue that philosophy...

In a way, we DO buy cars to impress, not that an eight-year-old Fleetwood is going to really impress anyone...

No, I'm not real crazy about the Seville. At one time I had my eye on them, but I've seen bad service reports on them and it kind of scared me off.

#54 ·
AirJigga25 said:
Has anyone here ever driven a marauder? I've seen a few new 2003's around here lately going for CHEAP!
I drove one of the Marauders when they first came out... very disappointing. The salesman started by opening the trunk and showing me the switch that you had to flip to disable the air suspension anytime the car would be on a lift. Then he showed me the fuel pump shutoff switch that you would need to pull in case of an accident to keep the car from exploding. Hell, I thought he was trying to scare me AWAY from the car.

Anyway, as for the power... it just ain't there. They claim 302 horsepower and I guess Ford looks at horsepower like dog-years or something. There was a very narrow band at the 65-75mph range where it felt strong but that was it.

Other notes:
  • No in-dash CD player - In trunk changer is ONLY available option.
  • No navigation system available at any price
  • Very GOOD suspension feel... surprising.
  • Very limited options list. You could do better on a Honda

#55 ·
ssstealth said:
I drove one of the Marauders when they first came out... very disappointing. The salesman started by opening the trunk and showing me the switch that you had to flip to disable the air suspension anytime the car would be on a lift. Then he showed me the fuel pump shutoff switch that you would need to pull in case of an accident to keep the car from exploding. Hell, I thought he was trying to scare me AWAY from the car.

Anyway, as for the power... it just ain't there. They claim 302 horsepower and I guess Ford looks at horsepower like dog-years or something. There was a very narrow band at the 65-75mph range where it felt strong but that was it.

Other notes:
  • No in-dash CD player - In trunk changer is ONLY available option.
  • No navigation system available at any price
  • Very GOOD suspension feel... surprising.
  • Very limited options list. You could do better on a Honda
Elvis, you could always get a good car cover if you buy that Fleetwood?

SStealth, I thought those Mercs come fully loaded, so there aren't really options to choose from. Also most cars come with a fuel-shut-off switch in the trunk now, it's pretty much standard. I would have thought it could be had with a navigation system though, but I don't think even Lincoln has anything like Onstar, or a satellite in space for it. I heard Lincoln is getting one though. (if I am wrong, correct me) No Honda will have the smooth ride and room a Grand Marquis does, not to mention a heck of a lot more power. (40 hp?)

#56 ·
Id like to drive a marauder...... If they have just slightly more power than the grand marquis, then I think it would be suffecient for that car...... The grand marquis has one of the best rides in a car ive ever ridden in.... That is one thing I like about ford..... They have perfected that air ride system........

#57 ·
Elvis said:
I can't think of ANY car I've ever owned that I wanted to drive all the time. I've always liked variety. Good thing that after I got married, I didn't continue that philosophy...

In a way, we DO buy cars to impress, not that an eight-year-old Fleetwood is going to really impress anyone...

No, I'm not real crazy about the Seville. At one time I had my eye on them, but I've seen bad service reports on them and it kind of scared me off.
Are you kidding?! I know one 12 year old FWD that impresses and gets people starring every time its filled up at the pumps!! "Is it for sale?" or "How much " seem to be the comon themes. :D ;)
If it is well cared for, it WILL impress, or they are stupid to overlook it!

#58 ·
The Marauders aren't slow at all, they just have very little off the line. I drove one over the summer and other than right off the line, the car moved pretty damn well, handled great and had a pretty nice ride quality overall. The last half year Mercury did offer more options and colors and those cars sold like hot cakes. Matter of fact, the silver Marauder I saw was a great looking car and will probably end up being a collectors item.
Is the car a great "drag car"? No, not stock. Is it a nice "road car"? Hell yeah. Is it worth the asking price? Probably not the "original" asking price but by the time they killed it off, the cars were a friggin' BARGAIN.

#59 ·
Sevilles dont have any more problems than any other caddy if they are taken care of properly. I prefer them because they are a tad smaller than the Deville.

However, if you are interested, A dealer here has a NICE 2000 DTS that is fully loaded with the night vison, 17" Chrome wheels, ect... for $23,900. It has 40K miles on it. Its that Silver/Tan (sand?) color. Wichita Kansas isnt too far from Tenn.

-Eli

#60 ·
Elvis, I think you're very wrong about a 8 year old FW not impressing anyone. EVERYONE says something positive to me about my car. And not just people I know. Just about every time I'm at a gas station (very often ;)) filling up, "Hey, nice car!" When I get out at the mall or the grocery store, passers by will usually compliment me on it. At the track and car shows? Forget it, out of control responses! :) Praise for the car comes from everywhere, from every age and nationality. It is sooo cool. And it's not something I had ever anticipated. Dude... It really is unreal. :) I'm sure the other FW owners have similar stories to tell. :)

And I hear you guys about the ride. It was very uneasy on the highway when I first bought it. But a leisurely Saturday turning wrenches and a few hundred bucks solves that problem. :D (but that's already been said)

These fat girls can dance. :D

#61 ·
Heck, I get compliments about my '91 Brougham D'elgance and looks at it too. Maybe it has something to do with those snazzy Cadillac spoked wheels :D They sure look nice but what a pain to clean.

I guess sometime I'll have to drive a newer Fleetwood too. I have no complaints at all about mine. The 5.7L will make the car move with ease and it handles fine both in the city and on the highway. I thought if they did any suspension changes after 1992 it would have made handling even better, not worse?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.