Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood - Page 3
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by caddycruiser Okay guys, that's more than enough. Back to the Fleetwood or Deville, and those cars only--no ...
  1. #31
    Ralph's Avatar
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    16,028

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser
    Okay guys, that's more than enough. Back to the Fleetwood or Deville, and those cars only--no Anna Nicole Smith or other trash.

    I guess I come of a different mentality when it comes to the Fleetwood. Of all the cars I've driven, I first had a stronger appeal to the sportier, faster variety. But then I drove my father's Roadmaster. I was impressed, but in a very different way. And even after that, I drove the Fleetwood, all stock I remind you, and have absolutely fallen in love with the car. It is without a doubt, my favorite vehicle we have ever owned and I would love to buy more for a collection!

    Once again, I also remind you that I'm about 17 and a half. Kids my age will usually have nothing else but an awful sounding, raspy Honda Civic that rides so stiffly, it looks like one would be in severe pain after only a mile or two. Or, they're obsessed with Mustangs. Okay, sporty and somewhat cool (but not much), but they're almost as bland and common as a beige Camry, and about as exciting. I stray from the norm, obviously.

    Our '93 Brougham has never once scared me, and I drive about 20 miles one way to school everyday, mostly at high speeds on the highway. Typically averaging about 70mph, the ride is like silk, the "old" 350 silent and very powerful, the interior very quiet, and the brakes extremely well-controlled and powerful. I love every last detail about how it drives, and I drive FAST everywhere. On the highway, on back roads, in hilly places, and yes, around tons of sharp curves. Is the Fleetwood an M5? Hell no! Is it frightening? Absolutely not. It's very heavy, and one feels that all the time. I personally love that feeling--it's like rolling down the road in a bomb-proof tank. But to that point, you feel the weight in the handling and it does lean a little, but not excessively. The awesome ride more than makes up for that.

    About the only thing I would like to change is the steering feel on the highway. Just cruising straight for miles and miles, it often gets a little hard to keep the car pointed straight, especially if it's at all windy. Not that it's like our Avalance, that has firm steering that floats all over at the same time, just that the Caddy's steering effort feels light enough for parking lot speeds even when going 70+mph. But, yet again, it's not usually a problem.

    Would I change anything? Maybe a few details, but not anything major. Maybe some chrome Brougham wheels or a sunroof if it had been there in the first place. But, no suspension tweaks. From the reviews I've read different times on here, some make it sound like the car is extremely floaty, loose, and uncontrollable. Maybe ours is just weird in that it's not like that, or it could just be my perception. I love pretty much everything as is though.

    Would I drive a new BMW, Acura, etc.? Of course, but only if the Fleetwood was also there to serve as the occasional ultimate luxury vehicle. It is amazing soothing to drive easily after a long day, and something I always look forward to. I still do wonder what a LT1 Fleetwood is like though .

    Either way, I hope you do find the "right" car some day, Elvis--and I hope it's a Caddy! A Deville sounds very much like something you're looking for, particularly a DTS. I wish I could afford to buy another Fleetwood....I think I'd be on a little trip to Memphis this weekend if I could!
    You are wise beyond your years my friend. It's all personal choice in the end.

  2. #32
    davesdeville's Avatar
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,971

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser
    It's very heavy, and one feels that all the time. I personally love that feeling--it's like rolling down the road in a bomb-proof tank.
    That's the thing I loved about my former DeVille and to a slightly less extent about my Fleetwood. It's not for everyone, and it can take a little getting used to, though.

  3. #33
    ga_caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NW Ga
    Age
    37
    Posts
    43

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    That's the thing I loved about my former DeVille and to a slightly less extent about my Fleetwood. It's not for everyone, and it can take a little getting used to, though.
    I love my 95 DeVille, the handeling is excellent, the fuel economy is great, the ride is as smooth as silk and it's very comfortable. However if I found a 90-92 Brougham I would get rid of the DeVille without thinking twice. I miss my 84 SDV in the worst way.

  4. #34
    HotRodSaint's Avatar
    HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,234

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I think there's a little bit more to the "Euro" feel that I'm talking about than just changing springs. Weight distribution has something to do with it, too. Springs won't fix that.

    Technologically, this car is back in the late 70's. There's a reason Cadillac discontinued it. There's a reason GM discontinued the B & D bodies.
    The sole reason GM discontinued them, was because they needed more production capacity for trucks. These cars simply weren't selling in the numbers that trucks were at the time. And the trucks possessed the same '70's technology. So I don't think technology played a role in their decision.

    Hell, look at GM today. They still aren't at the forefront of technology (sorry N* peeps). I can't think of very many GM car's that should remain if that were the criteria. The LS6 can trace it's roots back to the '50's. But no one is thinking of dropping the Vette or removing that engine from the NEW CTS-V.

    You'd also be amazed what springs, shocks and sway bars will do to the handling characteristics of a car. Even a VERY large car. I also think the overall weight is what you feel, not the weight distribution. But it's noticable because of the softly sprung suspension. The weight distribution is on par with most road sedans, modern or '70's. It's also not that much heavier overall than the other model you think will give you the more modern feel.

    I rented a Chrysler Concord last week, and my car rides and handles very similar. It made me appreciate the modifications I had done to the suspension that much more.

    The Fleetwood ain't perfect and it isn't for everyone. I hope less people buy them and the Japanese and low riders continue to buy the good low mileage supplies. We want FoSS to be a very exclusive society in the US!

  5. #35
    Elvis's Avatar
    Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,651

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    What probably screwed things up for me is that I haven't driven anything like the Fleetwood in over ten years. I've become accustomed to the newer, more responsive steering and suspensions, and I absolutely FORGOT what it felt like to drive a cushy American luxury car.

    This car felt like a Suburban to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just wouldn't want to drive it every day.

    I'd love to buy it and put it in the barn, bringing it out only once or twice a week. I can respect it for what it is, and appreciate its value AS IS. I don't want to change the suspension, because there's a time and place for it--just not in my everyday life.

    Understand, I would never bash the car because I think it's truly an American classic. My needs and desires in an automobile have changed over the years because of the technological advances in handling.

    For example, if I hadn't made that trip to fill up Mom's S430 early Tuesday morning, I might have had a different opinion. Also keep in mind that my Prelude was voted the best-handling car under $25,000 by Car & Driver. Its cornering is effortless.

    That's a pretty harsh contrast, much like the one Sal experienced the first time he drove one after getting out of a Corvette.

  6. #36
    toomanytoyz's Avatar
    toomanytoyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Age
    38
    Posts
    433

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    I think that you should buy what you want to buy. After all it is going to be your car, so get what YOU want. There's no need for you to be on the defensive because what some of us really like isn't for you. I hope I didn't come across that way, as I was just trying to offer you options if, in fact, you were interested in the FW. Sounds to me like a DTS would suit you well, maybe even an STS or SLS. Whatever it is you end up with, you'll be happy with it, because it'll fit YOUR needs.

    Good luck and keep us posted in the search!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    What probably screwed things up for me is that I haven't driven anything like the Fleetwood in over ten years. I've become accustomed to the newer, more responsive steering and suspensions, and I absolutely FORGOT what it felt like to drive a cushy American luxury car.

    This car felt like a Suburban to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just wouldn't want to drive it every day.

    I'd love to buy it and put it in the barn, bringing it out only once or twice a week. I can respect it for what it is, and appreciate its value AS IS. I don't want to change the suspension, because there's a time and place for it--just not in my everyday life.

    Understand, I would never bash the car because I think it's truly an American classic. My needs and desires in an automobile have changed over the years because of the technological advances in handling.

    For example, if I hadn't made that trip to fill up Mom's S430 early Tuesday morning, I might have had a different opinion. Also keep in mind that my Prelude was voted the best-handling car under $25,000 by Car & Driver. Its cornering is effortless.

    That's a pretty harsh contrast, much like the one Sal experienced the first time he drove one after getting out of a Corvette.

    Edit:fixed spelling, added missing words.

  7. #37
    JJhomer83's Avatar
    JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bucks County, Pa
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoyz
    I think that you should buy what you want to buy. After all it is going to be your car, so get what YOU want. There's no need for you to be on the defensive because what some of really like isn't for you. I hope I didn't come across that way, as I was just trying to offer you options if, in fact, you were interested in the FW. Sounds to me like a DTS would suit you well, maybe even an STS or SLS. Whatever it is you end up with, you'll be happy with it, because it'll fit YOUR needs.

    Good luck and keep us posted in the search!
    well worded. hope you find what you are looking for

  8. #38
    BeelzeBob's Avatar
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,577

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    See what I mean about that scary feeling, Elvis? Not everybody gets it, but some do. I did. Not so much anymore as I've gotten used to the car - but this will be the most difficult car to get out of a possible accident I've ever had. If I'm going 70mph on the L.I.E. and there's a hazard ahead - I make it out with no problem in my Vette - even probably in my ETC - but not in this.. Still, this is THE most comfortable car I've ever driven. I love how the seats are so soft.. I'm very comfortable in this car..

    Otherwise - I thought the S430 felt very similar! I was used-to driving my Vette at the time, but I drove an S430 last year and felt very unsafe... Maybe I just don't remember that well and it handled much better than the Fleetwood..

    I DO believe you'll get a very similar feeling if you did some work to the suspension. BUT - the car HAS to be YOU. I'm sure you'll be very happy in a Deville or DTS. I don't give a squirels nut about FWD or RWD. If you don't either, then you're all set...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

  9. #39
    Elvis's Avatar
    Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,651

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    I've never been more comfortable sitting behind the wheel than I was in that Fleetwood. DAMN! I forgot it was a car for a minute there!

    TMT, I never took what you said the wrong way. I still want a big RWD Caddy someday when I have space for it, but I would probably go for a '77-'79 model with the 425.

  10. #40
    STSEli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    71
    Coming from a former 94 9C1 caprice and 95 Impala SS owner, I know what you mean. Dont get me wrong, I love B bodies, but I know the feeling you are talking about. I think you will find what you are looking for in a 2000+ Deville DTS. If you want even a little more sport, take a 98+ Seville STS for a spin. If either of these cars were RWD, it would be the best of both worlds. I have to admit though, my STS doesnt drive like a typical FWD car.

    Have fun,

    -Eli

  11. #41
    davesdeville's Avatar
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,971

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I've never been more comfortable sitting behind the wheel than I was in that Fleetwood. DAMN! I forgot it was a car for a minute there!

    TMT, I never took what you said the wrong way. I still want a big RWD Caddy someday when I have space for it, but I would probably go for a '77-'79 model with the 425.
    Having had both a 75 DeVille and a 78 Fleetwood, I think a 75-76 model would probably be better. The 75 rode much better, it was easy to not notice railroad tracks and speed bumps. The cornering wasn't noticibly differant. Ok, the Fleetwood's more comfortable than the Deville, but a 75-76 Fleetwood would probably be the most comfortable. Despite having 950 pounds more to move, the 75 was about as fast too. I personally like the 75s styling more too. So unless you really love the 77-79 styling or are really concerned about gas, a 75-76 is probably the way to go.

  12. #42
    caddycruiser's Avatar
    caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Southern DE
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,381
    Not that it's all that related to this (but it might be, somewhat), but I just have to say something. One of our neighbors on the next street over in our development, has had a 88'-89' Chevy Caprice that's white and a dark cherry '95-'96 Caprice since we moved here a few years ago. I never really saw him ever driving the newer LT1 Caprice, as it mainly sat in the garage, but he has been driving the older white one more and more often. Then, last night I was taking the Fleetwood for a spin down to the Dollar store, and decided to go down the street he lives on.

    The old-style white Caprice was still there, along with his wife's new red Kia Sedona van, but the newer Caprice was missing. What was in it's place? A brand new all black Mercury Marauder! No not a GM product, but very comparable to the B & D-bodies, just in an updated and slightly smaller form. That, and I've just loved these things since they first came out and I heard the exhaust of one for about 10 miles while it was beside us cruising down in Nags Head.

    I haven't driven one (though I would very much like to sometime ) but they just look and sound so damn cool. It would be the perfect new friend for our Roadmaster and Fleetwood....I'd just have to convince my mother to trade her '02 black Avalanche that she loves!

    Okay now, back to the Fleetwood!

  13. #43
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,529
    I like that black on black leather. Did you try putting the garage door down? From that picture it doesn't look like the car is int eh way of the door at all. It looks like the same amount of space between the car and the door as there is when my Brougham D'Elegance is parked in our garage. Once the garage door is shut you're not getting to the other side of the car.

    I still want a big RWD Caddy someday when I have space for it, but I would probably go for a '77-'79 model with the 425.
    I get a kick out of how you say the Fleetwood is too cushy, etc... and then you say this.. Between the both the Fleetwood is probably closer to what you're looking for

    I like those Marauders too. Maybe someday I'll get one. But with the Cadillac and 2 other fullsize cars that aint gonna happen too soon.

  14. #44
    Elvis's Avatar
    Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,651

    Re: Time to get serious--'96 Fleetwood

    I kinda like the Marauder too, Cruiser!

    brougham, what I meant by still wanting a 77-79 is that I would want one as a second vehicle--NOT the daily driver, but instead something to play around with one or two days a week.

    That's my only knock against the Fleetwood, it's too cumbersome for me to drive every day, I think I'd get tired of fighting it.

  15. #45
    STSEli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    71
    The Marauder looks good and sounds good but it is slow. That is one of the reasons Ford had such problems selling them. People found out that a new Honda Accord would run circles around it.

    -Eli

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting