79 sdv radio help!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 79 sdv radio help!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi there! So I'm looking for the original 8track radio for my caddy, I found one but my concern is ...
    vicello93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 sedan deville

79 sdv radio help!!

Hi there! So I'm looking for the original 8track radio for my caddy, I found one but my concern is the mess they did with the wires years ago when they installed the aftermarket radio. I know ill have to buy the harness to plug the 8track, but with the wires I have can u guys tell me if I can just cut and put the wires together and if they will match the color of the original? These are the wires..
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: 79 sdv radio help!!

Are you sure your '79 had the 8-track in it? My '78 Deville has the original stereo radio combined with the "cassette tape" player.
    Maybe they still offered the 8-track in 1979.
    Others will chime in about your wiring questions.

1980coupe is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

If the radio is from another caddy, then yes. Just match the colors and you're good to go. Cadillac offered a variety of radio options, so yes an 8 track radio was an option.
    I have the diagram and can tell you what wires go where, if you need assistance.

----------

The two top are rear speaker wires, next tanish and grey are front either left or right followed by the light green and green wires.
    Orange is power constant, pink is antenna, yellow is power switched, grey is illumination, brown dimmer, black ground Just going off by memory here...
    This is a good website for wiring
    www.the12volt.com
    Search Cadillac and find year, model and there you go.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Yep. Mine has the 8-track.

They also offered:
    AM/FM stereo only
    AM/FM with cassette
    AM/FM with cassette and CB

If the one you found has a digital display (amber color), it is correct for your car.
    If it has the analog tuner, it came from a '78 or earlier.

That's great! Thank you all for the replies! I just need To buy the connector for the radio because it doesn't come with it.. But eBay has it so it will help

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Most GM radios of that era had the wiring diagram engraved on the radio cover. And that wiring color code was the same from about 76 thru 85 on most if not all GM cars.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    Are you sure your '79 had the 8-track in it? My '78 Deville has the original stereo radio combined with the "cassette tape" player.
    Maybe they still offered the 8-track in 1979.
    Others will chime in about your wiring questions.
    1979 was the first year the cassette tape player was a Cadillac factory option, 8-track was also still available.

1979 was also the first year the ETR radio became standard on all Cadillacs. The ETR radio first appeared as an option on 1978 Fleetwood Brougham and Seville.

I'm curious to know what kind of radio is in the car now? Was the trim bezel altered to fit the aftermarket radio? If so then you may likely need to consider a replacement which seem to be fairly commonly available on eBay.

A factory service manual may also have answers on the wiring.

Good luck and have fun listening to stereophonic excellence on the magic of high fidelity 8-track tapes in your 79 Cadillac!

Ok so I ended up buying a cassette/radio unit , it was a good deal so I jumped on it also bought the connectors to plug it in. Now I'm anxious to get it!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham

1979 was the first year the cassette tape player was a Cadillac factory option, 8-track was also still available.

1979 was also the first year the ETR radio became standard on all Cadillacs. The ETR radio first appeared as an option on 1978 Fleetwood Brougham and Seville.

I'm curious to know what kind of radio is in the car now? Was the trim bezel altered to fit the aftermarket radio? If so then you may likely need to consider a replacement which seem to be fairly commonly available on eBay.

A factory service manual may also have answers on the wiring.

Good luck and have fun listening to stereophonic excellence on the magic of high fidelity 8-track tapes in your 79 Cadillac!
    It has a digital, crappy radio, Optimus brand. They used the old radio brackets to install. Apparently it fitted right in.
    Haha I wish I have gotten the 8track... Maybe in the future when I come across a good deal lol

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by vicello93 View Post
    Ok so I ended up buying a cassette/radio unit , it was a good deal so I jumped on it also bought the connectors to plug it in. Now I'm anxious to get it!
    ----------

It has a digital, crappy radio, Optimus brand. They used the old radio brackets to install. Apparently it fitted right in.
    Haha I wish I have gotten the 8track... Maybe in the future when I come across a good deal lol
    optimus brand radio? got a pic? Haven't seen too many of those lately...something about they sucked

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Optimus? Isn't that the RADIO SHACK brand? and you used the words Cassette 8 track and the future in the same post. I think "Back To The Future" is more accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    Optimus? Isn't that the RADIO SHACK brand? and you used the words Cassette 8 track and the future in the same post. I think "Back To The Future" is more accurate!
    Hahah

Update! Radio and in and is installed and working. Speakers work but sound goes on and off on the front left speaker sometimes. But overall I'm quite happy

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by vicello93
    Update! Radio and in and is installed and working. Speakers work but sound goes on and off on the front left speaker sometimes. But overall I'm quite happy
    I'm guessing bad connection at the radio or speaker itself, worn out speaker, or an internal problem with the radio (i.e. bad channel). Did you have this problem prior to swapping the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin

I'm guessing bad connection at the radio or speaker itself, worn out speaker, or an internal problem with the radio (i.e. bad channel). Did you have this problem prior to swapping the radio?
    No it was working fine before, but I went for a drive and the radio mends itself after three minutes and works fine. Go figure but yeah might be the radio because I could find the connector for the back so I welded every wire to the right place. It works fine but after three minutes lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.