Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

47K views 369 replies 37 participants last post by  talismandave 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there! :) My name is Cherie. You may have noticed me around the forums this week. I signed up a year ago but haven't really gotten involved on this site until now. I've been working on an '84 Coupe DeVille project since early 2012. It was my first car, and for all intents and purposes it's pretty much like a child to me -- me and my Caddy are inseparable. I've dragged it from Arizona to Utah and now to California. I couldn't work on it while I was in AZ and UT because I was in college (for engineering if that explains my lack of spare time). Now that I'm out of college, I'm finally working on it! I am more proud of this project than you will ever know.

I recently replaced the timing components and water pump among a semi-long list of other things. I HAVE to have this car running by the end of July, after which is must depart my friend's driveway, and since I don't yet have a driveway of my own, I have to have it running and registered so that I can park it at my apartment complex (registration is another hurdle I'm going to face.. more details on that dilemma later). I need all the positive energy and ambition as possible TO. GET. THIS. DONE!! :D

In order to get it running, I have to finish putting the rest of the components back onto the front of the engine (pulleys, compressor, radiator, etc), and then I have to reconnect the distributor and spark plug wires (both new), re-time everything, put new gasoline, change the oil, change the transmission fluid, and probably a handful of other things I'm forgetting right now. Since I'm waiting for my parts to come in from McMaster (I'm devising my own harmonic balancer installer), I thought that today I can go over and wash my Caddy, clean up some of the rust (Scotts Valley, CA is humid!!) and possibly sand and prime the areas that the naval jelly can't really get.

I've been occasionally updating a project website: http://1984coupedeville.wordpress.com/

But soon the project website will be moved to my own domain and server by August 2013 (so don't pay attention to this site 'til then): http://nebulosity.cc/

I'll try to post more updates on this thread as my project progresses. :)

I hope to get to know you guys, and all of your projects and posts and replies seriously keep me moving forward with energy on my own project!

Wish me luck!!! Time to work a miracle!

Attachments

See less See more
#335 ·
I have been fighting tooth and nail for this car since 2005. It's my baby. I don't care how hard it gets. I don't care how many people complain that my car is an eyesore. I don't care how many people criticize me for spending all my time and money repairing it. I don't care how many mechanics or body shops turn me away. I am NOT giving up on the Caddy. If I have to restore and paint every nook and cranny by myself, I will do it hands down.

#337 ·
You absolutely,positively, ROCK!:worship:

At some point you will hit that tipping point, where you get to spend more time enjoying your car than working on it.
You seem to have the worst of it behind you.

Anyone can take money to restore a car and have a beautiful car.

It will mean so much more to you when you get it all done, knowing the sweat and tears and DNA you have left on it.
It truly becomes yours when you know how to take it apart and put it together again.

#347 ·
You absolutely,positively, ROCK!:worship:
Awwwww my Caddy deserves all the credit for being so awesome! I honestly don't feel like I do enough for it.

At some point you will hit that tipping point, where you get to spend more time enjoying your car than working on it. You seem to have the worst of it behind you.
I hope so... I mean, I have no expectations with this project except that it will continue to be a work in progress. I would be crazy not to have that attitude; it's the nature of a project car. If I do get to a point where I'm working on it 49% of the time and enjoying it 51% of the time, it will be icing on the cake!

Anyone can take money to restore a car and have a beautiful car.

It will mean so much more to you when you get it all done, knowing the sweat and tears and DNA you have left on it.
It truly becomes yours when you know how to take it apart and put it together again.
Yes, yes, exactly. Now all the tears are just happy ones from realizing 'HOLY SH*T I CANT BELIEVE I ACTUALLY GET TO DRIVE THIS CAR AFTER YEARS OF DREAMING!', haha.

I have an infinite amount of gratitude for every little thing I accomplish with this Caddy.

----------

You have an awesome car, congrats on all of your progress with it!
Thanks!! :D Trying to keep the progress going without a driveway and semi-limited funds is the tricky part... the universe has bestowed me with an adventure in this case! :) The easy way would be the boring, less meaningful way, right? lol (I keep telling myself that...)

#349 ·
Ohhhhh let me tell you... you are not the only one. LOL

----------

There are some expensive vehicles in that parking lot. But only one car that has ANY class! Really stands out from the crowd!
Spent half of my morning reading start to finish.
All I can say is, Lucky car......Lucky husband!
Your quite a gal.............
Awww, thanks. *blushies* I try. :) I'm honored you took the time to catch up on my project thread.. it's a million miles long!

----------

Okay, sooooo it has been a crazy week!! Lots to update you with:

Last Friday: Took the caddy for smog testing. First it passed emissions and failed inspection because the timing was off (1deg ATDC). Timing was adjusted to 10 BTDC, this time it passed inspection but failed emissions. Nox was too high. Do you guys want to see the results?

My first suspicion is that it's related to the oxygen sensor because I've been getting intermittent code 44's (lean exhaust signal). I need to do a lot more research on these high Nox and code 44 issues.

Today: Drove the caddy to work for the second day, YAY!!! We made it to work okay, but I got a handful of intermittent codes...

30 (ISC circuit problem, went away after clearing)

15 (Open coolant sensor... this cropped up several months ago. I think the wire on the coolant sensor needs to be fixed. Code went away after clearing and didn't come back)

44 (Lean exhaust signal. This came up about every five minutes while driving.)

Drove the Caddy home and NO CODES came up at all. Go figure!

Btw, my charging system problem has officially started driving me batty. I am tired of having to pull the battery to charge it twice a day. lol Without being able to truly go through and diagnose the problem, I'm sadly going to throw a new alternator at it and see if it semi fixes the issue. I know for a fact that the charging issue has a deeper problem that needs someone more experienced than me to solve.

#341 ·
csbuckn said:
She opened her project thread with a timing belt change.
Oops, my bad.

Reactions: nebulosity
#346 ·
I'm very aware of the timing components. I've done about 15 timing belts and maybe only 3 timing chains so I get used to calling them belts, it's all the same to me. Also, I think you'd have to skip more then a tooth to get the car to quit. Retarding the timing that little will cause it to run a little sluggish up top but not quit the motor. I've done my caddy timing by ear and I'm sure I've had it off by more then what a cam tooth would do. Is a tooth only 4 degrees?

#354 ·
The two wires in the small harness on the alternator should both have 12v when the ignition is on(or same voltage as battery). One side gets power from the ignition, the other from the battery. I'd bet your ignition side isn't getting power. I can't remember what fuse it gets its power from.[/QUOTE

Thanks for this! I will check it when I get home. :)

----------

A replacement coolant temp switch has a small harness with it that provides a weather safe connection. It must be soldered into your harness.
When I got a replacement coolant temperature switch, it didn't come with a harness. Can you recommend where I might get a replacement switch with the new harness that I can solder in?

Regarding Charge light on, If its dim, then the problem lies within the alternator.
Yes!! It's dim! :D

If you can rotate the alternator pulley by hand, ( engine off! DUH) the smog belt is too loose.
So you're saying that the tension on the smog pump belt being too loose can cause the alternator belt to be loose too?

#355 ·
Not really loose but because the smog pump belt can be loose, the alt. belt rotates with the water pump pulley as the smog belt slips. Very common issue! The smog pump must be tightened from under the car with a long extension over the front crossmember and a buddy's help using a crowbar to keep tension as you tighten. If you look straight down below the water pump you'll see the smog belt slip if you can rotate the alternator by hand. A dim battery light generally means a failed diode trio within the alternator. It will charge but not to full capacity and if that belt is loose, you'll end up with a partially charged battery. Be aware that "rebuilt" vs "remanufactured" has to do with its quality. Rebuilt means it was reassembled with mostly good used parts and a new set of brushes and maybe a regulator. Remanufactured means new bearings, new regulator, new diodes and armature. That's why large chain stores sell rebuilts with "lifetime" warranty's so cheap. They assume 10% will be returned. Remanufactured lessens those odds dramatically!

#356 ·
Random Update. :D

Went to the junk yard today and pulled a hood and a trunk lid off another 84 DeVille. I want to learn how to paint car panels, so this will give me practice, and when I'm done I can bolt them onto my Caddy. Yay! Additionally, if for some reason I totally screwed up the paint job, it's not the end of the world, and the Caddy still has its original hood and trunk lid intact and untouched, and I could just go hunt around for whatever I messed up. Hoping I do enough research and have enough guidance from my husband that it turns out right the first time. :)

Here's a funny story with a picture... I go outside and take a picture of the xterra with the new Caddy hood and trunk lid still tied down to the top. Husband comes up to me and says, "What are you doing, taking a picture of the Xterra in its Cadillac costume?" (i.e. It's wearing Cadillac parts like it's trying to be a Caddy or something.) LOL

The more I looked at it, the more I couldn't help but see it that way. Kind of gives new meaning to "bonnet," right? lol

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Roof rack

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I'm looking forward to my painting project. I'll be sure to post progress pics. :)

#358 ·
Silly Xterra, thinks it's a Cadillac!:rolleyes:
Heehee :)

That sounds like a great idea with the extra panels, Just do the car one piece at a time!:lol:
You laugh, but gotta do whatchya gotta do! :lol: I need to preserve this car! :)

Could run into problems with metallic's but with white, you are much less likely to notice.
My Caddy is a flat beige (i.e. non metallic flake). Honestly I don't really care about slight color differences, I'm really just concerned about taking care of the car and preventing it from rusting.

Going the whole way with compressor and gun?
Yep. I believe we already have a spray gun for projects like this, and we also have a super quiet compressor. I just need to check the compressor to see if it will be able to do the job for a car painting project. If not, I may borrow a compressor from a friend or looking into upgrading to a bigger one. Need to do some research.

#359 ·
You need to balance your gun and compressor. Get a compressor that can refill air faster then the gun sprays out. That's not as easy or cheap as I make it sound though. If not, you'll run out of air fast. I have a twenty gallon compressor and was able to do like five panels at a time before I ran out of air. You probably won't run into that problem with just a hood and trunk but in the future...

#360 · (Edited)
Light non metal flake you should be ok.
Sam (csbuckn) has done his own painting and learning, he will probably let you know what you will need.
My understanding is the holding tank size on the compressor is the biggest problem with small compressors.
Small ones work good for nail guns because it is a quick burst, but for painting you need higher CFM.

#361 · (Edited)
The compressor we have is this one: http://www.artistsupplysource.com/p...gn=SATM18491&gclid=COOl0tLji8YCFQiUfgodtzkA7A

It's quieter than our refrigerator. I love it! I'm not sure if this will work for painting the caddy panels. It's a 6-gallon, 2.15 CFPM, 84-114 PSI operating pressure. Husband is looking up spray guns that would be ideal for this compressor. I'm only going to be painting one panel at time, so I'm hoping I can make something work.

#362 ·
That compressor probably won't be strong enough. Most HVLP guns take about 6 CFM @ 40 PSI and the older siphon style guns take more
, like 10 CFM @ 60 PSI.

You'll also need to get a regulator and probably water separator since your compressor only goes down to 84 PSI with the built in regulator.
Mine is like a 20 or 30 gallon one and I don't think I'd trust it for painting a whole car. Usually for paint we go to my father-in-law's house because he's got a
nice big gas powered compressor that never runs out of air.

Not trying to talk you out of trying to paint those panels with that compressor, like you said the worst that'll happen is the paint will suck on them and you just sand them down and try again. Only out a few bucks for paint.

Good luck!

#370 ·
Hi there!
Great to hear you have not lost the love for your Cadillac.
Since losing our friend Orconn I have been nostalgic for members I haven't heard from lately!
I hope everything goes well with the painting, I have no doubt you will master that with the same skills and abilities you have shown with all new challenges!
Nothing new to report on my Talisman, sold Guido I, 1987 Brougham, and purchased Guido II, 1980 Eldorado Biarritz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.