Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree311Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by csbuckn Looking good. Did you change the oil? You get an even better idea of how big ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Looking good. Did you change the oil? You get an even better idea of how big it is when you're driving it and you realize there is 7 feet of car in front of you.
    Yep. Changed the oil. It may need another half a quart. I'll check in the morning.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    Congrats...
    Why does it sound like it has a knock?
    It probably does. I'll add a little more oil to it in the morning and start working on getting it running more smoothly.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Beautiful sight. These old Cadillacs are majestic beasts in motion. Nothing stirs my heart like seeing a long dormant classic taking it's first step to the restoration they deserve.

I applaud you as a mechanic, and as a collector/enthusiast. Like all of us you will never see a financial gain from all the love you pour into your car, but will be rewarded every time you pull into a store or gas station (...more likely since it will be often!) with the comments and compliments of admirers.
    77CDV and nebulosity like this.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Just take it on the highway when you get a chance, that will probably get that lazy lifter working good.
    lacville78 and nebulosity like this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Just take it on the highway when you get a chance, that will probably get that lazy lifter working good.
    I was thinking that as well.
    nebulosity likes this.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Yeah, I'm thinking that tap will clear itself up over time.

When I brought my '94 home, I had no idea how long it had been sitting in that guy's front yard. It ran and stopped like crap. I put fresh gas in it, said a little prayer, and started on my 2-hour journey home. There were times early on where I was sure it wasn't going to make it, but by the time I got to the end of my journey it was running like a new car. It's amazing how they respond to a bit of attention.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post

When I brought my '94 home, I had no idea how long it had been sitting in that guy's front yard. It ran and stopped like crap. I put fresh gas in it, said a little prayer, and started on my 2-hour journey home. There were times early on where I was sure it wasn't going to make it, but by the time I got to the end of my journey it was running like a new car. It's amazing how they respond to a bit of attention.
    Yes, neglect causes things like that. When you heat the engine up good then everything homogenizes again. Then you change all the fluids and get all the old crap out at once.
    nebulosity likes this.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    Yes, neglect causes things like that. When you heat the engine up good then everything homogenizes again. Then you change all the fluids and get all the old crap out at once.
    An old mechanics trick for lifters and other things that need cleaned out in there.
    Just before you change the fluids dump about a half a quart of trans fluid into the oil.
    Run it a bit; maybe 100mi then change the oil.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    An old mechanics trick for lifters and other things that need cleaned out in there.
    Just before you change the fluids dump about a half a quart of trans fluid into the oil.
    I have tried a full quart of type F in the oil and that works. An old mechanic told me that one. Replace one quart of oil with one quart of the Type F stuff.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    I have tried a full quart of type F in the oil and that works. An old mechanic told me that one. Replace one quart of oil with one quart of the Type F stuff.
    I've never heard of Type F... what is it?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    I changed the oil already (last week), and I have to have it registered before I can run it 100miles, so I'll have to wait a bit before I can do this little trick. Thanks!

----------

Wow! First start up after sitting and then you took it on a 2-hour trip home? You're Brave!! Even knowing my Caddy's history, I'd be afraid to do that. Good to know they hold up though!! Gives me hope.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Wow! First start up after sitting and then you took it on a 2-hour trip home? You're Brave!! Even knowing my Caddy's history, I'd be afraid to do that. Good to know they hold up though!! Gives me hope.
    Yeah, it was the weirdest experience. I found the car on eBay but it had sold. Called the guy and he said the person that bought it didn't have the money so he was going to re-list it. He said if I brought him cash, I could have it. I grabbed the tags off of my old limo and headed for Connecticut (yes, it's illegal but they're both black Fleetwoods, who's to know?). I got out there and the thing was down a steep driveway parked in the front yard. The air shocks weren't working so the back was sitting on the ground. He had washed it, but that's about it. He just sat on the front porch while I looked at it. We negotiated a price, I paid him and called me insurance company to add it. I asked him if it would make the 2.5 hour trip back to NJ. He just looked at me and shrugged. Great. It was mostly highway and whatever was wrong with it wouldn't allow it to go above like 50. It had no power going up the hills and was billowing black smoke. The Service Engine Soon light was on. But, as the trip went on it cleaned itself up and the SES light eventually went out. I haven't had to do a thing to the engine since I bought it except change the oil.

I think yours will react similarly once you get it on the road.

Type F is Ford's transmission fluid. Trans fluid has detergents in it that supposedly clean the innards of the engine of deposits. The guy that built my GN engines had me put a quart of trans fluid in the new engines for the first 100 miles. Not sure why. It might free up that lifter, or it might free up on its own. They get stuck in the collapsed position sometimes when they sit. Eventually it might pop open at operating temps and after it's run for a while. Or it may always have a tap - if it runs okay who cares?

mitch2264 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade Platinum

Yay!!! Good for you guys!! I know that was certainly a grin inducing moment . I know I did!

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    I've never heard of Type F... what is it?[COLOR="Silver"]
    Type F transmission fluid. It was for old powerglide transmissions back in the 50s.

Jimmy: Oh, to clean the gunk out of the engine? For that I love Seafoam. Haveyou tried it? If so, how does it compare to putting the type F stuff? When i put seafoam in my miata, it felt like i gained power back from it after all the gunk burned off. that in combination with changing to royal purple <3-- cars really are my kids, man. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    Jimmy: Oh, to clean the gunk out of the engine? For that I love Seafoam. Haveyou tried it? If so, how does it compare to putting the type F stuff? When i put seafoam in my miata, it felt like i gained power back from it after all the gunk burned off. that in combination with changing to royal purple <3-- cars really are my kids, man. lol)
    Yes, it cleans gunk out of the engine well enough. You have heard of detergent gasoline? Well this makes your oil detergent oil.
    Seafoam is ok too. I have only used it in the gas tank though.
    Royal Purple I use in my Brougham as well. Some say that it keeps the engine too clean inside and can make leaks worse but I have never had it make leaks worse for me. I wouldn't use the Type F with synthetic oil though. I know it is supposed to mix and all but synthetic can be cleaning enough.
    nebulosity likes this.

Got my moving permit to get its emissions tested! So far so good.... crossing fingers......

smIMG_3447.jpg
    77CDV, lacville78 and talismandave like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.