Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree311Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by lacville78 All you gotta do is listen for the pump when someone turns the key on, not ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    All you gotta do is listen for the pump when someone turns the key on, not cranking, just turning the key to the on position. The fuel pump should make some noise for a couple of seconds, you can cycle the key off and on to test.
    Also you can rent some "Noid lights" to test if there is power at the injectors. This is such a simple set up, no way you won't figure it out.
    Also no big deal testing for spark, just pull one plug wire and have someone crank it over, you don't have to check them all.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the suggestions! When I installed the fuel pump initially, I went back there to listen for it when my husband cranked the engine, and I couldn't hear it. I have problems hearing in general, so it could be just my hearing. Maybe I'll have a friend listen for the fuel pump.

Noid lights? I'll have to read up on those -- I haven't heard of them before.

Thanks again!

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

You can get them at autozone or O'reillys pretty much any parts store, you give them a deposit and when you bring them back you get your money, so they are free to use.
    You hook them up to the injector wires to test for voltage causing the injectors to shoot gas.
    nebulosity likes this.

On our way to try to start the Caddy...Wish us luck!! We need all the positive energy we can get!!!

We are getting spark...

But still no fuel to the throttle body. Caddy has a new fuel filter, there is 6 gal of premium fuel in the tank, fuel pump relay is working, but fuel pump doesn't seem to be turning on (I've never been able to hear it, even when it's working, so maybe it's working and I just can't hear it). The fuel pump worked WELL when I last cranked the engine in August 2012, possibly as late as October 2012, but it has sat unused since. The fuel pump may have something wrong with it. We're going to check the fuel lines for fuel between the tank and fuel filter, and we may drop the tank. I already called two of my favorite auto stores to make sure they'll have a fuel pump in stock in case we decide to replace it.

To me atleast, I think I hear a couple fires like it's trying to start up. Let me know what you guys think.

The reason why it's probably not starting with the starter fluid is I'm not confident about the initial timing setup. When we reinstalled the harmonic balancer, the crankshaft was rotated slightly away from cylinder #1 TDC, perhaps as much as 1/8 of a turn. I looks like I'll have to pull the distributor, rotate the engine exactly to cyl1 TDC and put the distributor back in.

Somehow I feel satisfied even though I didn't get it started today. I'm going first think in the morning (ditching work a bit, lol) to try to get this work done on the Caddy.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

It sounds like it almost caught a time or two. I think you may be on to something about the timing.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    It sounds like it almost caught a time or two. I think you may be on to something about the timing.
    I'm glad you heard it too!! For a moment while I was cranking it, I kept thinking in disbelief, "wait, is it gonna start??!?!" So I need to sort out the timing issue and the fuel delivery issue. It sounds like if I resolve those that IT CAN START!

I'm so excited. I'll keep you guys updated.

----------

Oh, btw, we tested the stereo in the Caddy. Definitely need to do more testing, lol. Gonna bring another CD tomorrow.

talismandave likes this.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

It's trying to fire, but it sounds like your timing is off. You can hear once in a while it will fire and fight the starter. It's firing at the wrong time.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    I'm glad you heard it too!! For a moment while I was cranking it, I kept thinking in disbelief, "wait, is it gonna start??!?!" So I need to sort out the timing issue and the fuel delivery issue. It sounds like if I resolve those that IT CAN START!

I'm so excited. I'll keep you guys updated.

----------

Oh, btw, we tested the stereo in the Caddy. Definitely need to do more testing, lol. Gonna bring another CD tomorrow.

Better than no sound from the stereo at all.
    nebulosity likes this.

Good news ppl! I have fuel to the throttle body again, yay!! Long story short I replaced the fuel pump. Dropped the tank by myself with 6 gal of gas still in it, tossed on the new pump, put it back in jacked it up and put the straps back on, all in about an hour and a half. 70% of that time was spent unscrewig the bolts on the stupid straps and making sure the tank didnt shift on the jack while I took them off. >_< Anyways, more info later.

The spray from the fuel injectors is weak, so I doubt you'll be able to see it in the video, but here is the video I took anyway. :P It was great to have fuel in the throttle body again. My only guess is that in cranking it last fall to check the valve train movement, I ran the pump dry, but at the same time I remember taking out the fuel pump relay ( so that I could watch the valve train without spraying fuel everywhere. LOL It's either that I ran it dry and burnt it out or sitting for 8months unused killed it (...really though?), OR perhaps it had a manufacturer defect, and lastly, I'm hoping electrical problems are not to blame for it burning out. When we pulled out the fuel pump, I checked my soldering job from the last time I adapted the wiring harness to the new wires, and everything was beautifully perfect and intact. Yay! So hopefully no worries about my workmanship.

No firing sounds in this particular video. We'll fix the timing for sure tomorrow.

Oh, and have a picture of my Caddy from today. My husband was trying to help me unscrew the fuel filter, and then for some reason beyond me, he decided to keep trying until he stripped the shit out of the fuel filter nut. Brilliant. Note to self.. just do your own Caddy work.

gIMG_3411.jpg
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

cadillaccruiser703 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1954 coupe deville, 1984 fleetwood 2dr

wow very solid looking car
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaccruiser703 View Post
    wow very solid looking car
    It's my baby. <3 <3 I love this car so much.

mitch2264 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade Platinum

Great project--have enjoyed keeping up with this thread! I wonder if the fuel pump going out could be attributed to the ethanol most areas now have in gas. I keep hearing all sorts of horror stories about how it effects things when it sits. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the thread! I love the older RWD Cadillacs--yours looks good!

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by mitch2264 View Post
    Great project--have enjoyed keeping up with this thread! I wonder if the fuel pump going out could be attributed to the ethanol most areas now have in gas. I keep hearing all sorts of horror stories about how it effects things when it sits. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the thread! I love the older RWD Cadillacs--yours looks good!

Mitch
    Thanks, Mitch!

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Good looking caddy. I need to start my own thread here.
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.