Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree311Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jsherid1 The presence of RTV does sound odd unless the distributor and and head are different materials ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Quote Originally Posted by jsherid1 View Post
    The presence of RTV does sound odd unless the distributor and and head are different materials and someone was trying to prevent galvanic action. . .
    I think the intake manifold and shaft of the distributor base are both made of steel. What's even more weird is that I don't remember there being any washers when I pulled it out. Apparently there is supposed to be a thrust washer? o_O

This is why I don't like other mechanics working on my car... I've found parts missing more than once..

gsmIMG_3271.jpg

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    If its a metal washer, you may want to find one. Without it, the dizzy gears may not line up with the cam gear that good. I dont know if its that important but worth looking into. Might be the cause of the chain messing up in the first place if the out-of-aligned gears cause a lot of drag. Might not be nothing but maybe something.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    If its a metal washer, you may want to find one. Without it, the dizzy gears may not line up with the cam gear that good. I dont know if its that important but worth looking into. Might be the cause of the chain messing up in the first place if the out-of-aligned gears cause a lot of drag. Might not be nothing but maybe something.
    Good idea! Will do. Thanks!

Got a little closer today. I am really super-duper tired, so we'll see how detailed this update ends up being. z___Z

I re-hooked up the throttle linkage. For some reason that funny little plastic piston thing is not sitting straight, and I can't figure out why. o_O
    gsmIMG_3338_throttle_linkage.jpg

As part of the throttle linkage, I reconnected this spring...
    gsmIMG_3340_throttle_linkage--spring.jpg

When I took off the valve covers a while back, I (obviously) had to take off it's little metal tab (i.e. vaccuum pipe bracket) . I accidentally put the tab on the middle valve cover screw hole, instead of the one nearest the front and put it in its proper place. I really tortured myself over this one because the spring is stretched a lot to hook it to the tab when mounted with the front valve cover screw, but there really is no way else to put it. Ah well. Unless you guys see anything blatantly wrong in the above photo, I'm calling it good.

gsmIMG_3341_tab_location.jpg

For the record, I fracking hate these crow's foot wrenches. They're too thick and too wide on the sides -- COMPLETELY useless!! I **WILL** MAKE MY OWN crows feet when I finally get the money and space for a machine shop of my own. -_- .. probably with a bunch of other tools I've wanted to make during this whole <strike>ridiculous</strike> project.

gsmIMG_3335_crows_feet.jpg

Put a new rotor in the distributor because the stupid dinky old one broke where the metal tab mounts.
    gsmIMG_3334_new_rotor.jpg

By the end of the day, I wasn't really that much farther along. This slow-going progress thing is really getting old. I spent most of the day fishing out nuts and bolts I dropped on top of the engine in impossible to reach places.
    gsmIMG_3345_end_of_day.jpg
    Cadillacboy and talismandave like this.

I also spent some time looking at what I could gain from taking the front of the car off for putting the Caddy in the garage (related:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-removal.html ), and what kinds of things need to be unfastened to do so. Yes, that's right ppl. I think I'm just going to take off the front grill and surrounding parts up to the radiator.

Bumper removal experiment will happen AFTER I get the Caddy started and BEFORE it makes its 25 mile journey to my apartment in San Jose.

Jayoldschool basically gave me permission to spam you guys with a million photos, so blame him for the spammage. ;D

gsmIMG_3322_bumper_gain.jpg

gsmIMG_3332_bumper_top.jpg

gsmIMG_3331_bumper01.jpg

gsmIMG_3329_bumper_light_wires.jpg

gsmIMG_3326_bumper_looking_up_inside.jpg

gsmIMG_3325_bumper_looking_up_inside2.jpg

gsmIMG_3323_bumper_looking_up_inside4.jpg

gsmIMG_3327_bumper_ea01.jpg

gsmIMG_3320_bumper_ea02.jpg

gsmIMG_3318_bumper_ea04.jpg
    Cadillacboy and talismandave like this.

cadillaccruiser703 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1954 coupe deville, 1984 fleetwood 2dr

awesome keep posting the updates
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaccruiser703 View Post
    awesome keep posting the updates
    Thanks. Will do!

Today:

1. Checked the vacuum lines and electrical connectors to make sure everything is hooked up.

2. Changed the oil

3. Tried to siphon old fuel (there was none left), and added 2 gallons of new fuel.
    gsmIMG_3370.jpg

4. Checked for leaks. (There was one at the thermostat, but my husband tightened down the hose for me and it stopped leaking).

If you wanna hear me be ridiculous and yack about the leak...

5. Topped off the engine coolant.

6. Hooked up distributor and plug wires. The "me" of 6 months ago was smart enough to put numbers on the wires near the boots on the distributor end -- WIN!

gsmIMG_3372.jpg

gsmIMG_3377.jpg

7. Hooked up the battery.

8. Tried to start the engine. No fuel coming out of fuel injectors. Will try a few things tomorrow and go through the usual "does it have fuel?" "does it have spark?" etc debug path and see if we can sort out any issues.

I'm sore and tired. Whine, whine, whine. lol. That's all I have energy to write tonight.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Listen for the fuel pump to come on, press the fuel schrader valve and see if any fuel comes out, get fancy with a DVOM and see if the injectors are getting a signal, the alarm might be cutting fuel, fuses not all good. Just random thoughts for your next trip.
    nebulosity likes this.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

+1 for alarm, that thing drove me nuts on the 88 Brougham I had.
    nebulosity likes this.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

No need to whine, just drink some wine to pick up some energy lol
    nebulosity likes this.

Part of me is terrified I won't be able to get my Caddy running. I mean, this isn't rocket science, but sometimes I start to get paranoid and feel like it is. Every once in a while I have moments like this.

I go to work on the caddy after I get off work in a few hours. Let's see what I can do.

cadillaccruiser703 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1954 coupe deville, 1984 fleetwood 2dr

clogged fuel filter?...spray some starter fluid and see if it starts up with that. being that no fuel in lines for so long may need a boost for fuel
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaccruiser703 View Post
    clogged fuel filter?...spray some starter fluid and see if it starts up with that. being that no fuel in lines for so long may need a boost for fuel
    I just replaced the fuel filter, and I sprayed some carburator cleaner in the throttle body yesterday to give it a boost, but it didn't seem to help. Today I'm going to make sure that the throttle body is getting fuel, probably by doing something silly and primitive like loosening the fuel lines while my husband cranks the engine over. After I had replaced the fuel pump a year ago, I forgot to tighten them down, and fuel came out generously, so I know that the fuel pump *should* work, and that if it's working, there will be fuel in the lines to the throttle body. The car is also on a *slight* incline, so we'll probably hook it up to the Xterra and pull it onto more level pavement in case the 2 gallons of fuel I added yesterday is sitting at the back of the fuel tank or something (but it shouldn't because the incline is honestly negligible).

If I verify that there is fuel at the throttle body and not coming out the injectors, I'll go through a debug process and see if I can figure out why no fuel is coming out the injectors. Like I said somewhere above, I recently rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the fuel pump and visually verified that the injectors and pump work. Actually, I have a video.. you can see it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzebUC49DIk#t=1m57s

After I make sure that I'm getting fuel properly and the injectors are spraying, I also need to make sure i'm getting spark. This is the time I really wish I had spark plug wires that would light up when electricity is passing through them... Now I'm trying to conjure up all sorts of crazy ideas about how to hook up an LED to the plug wires.... LOL I just hate hooking and unhooking the plug wires to check for spark on this particular engine. :/

Anyways, I'm going through and writing up a plan for today. i'll post an update later.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

All you gotta do is listen for the pump when someone turns the key on, not cranking, just turning the key to the on position. The fuel pump should make some noise for a couple of seconds, you can cycle the key off and on to test.
    Also you can rent some "Noid lights" to test if there is power at the injectors. This is such a simple set up, no way you won't figure it out.
    Also no big deal testing for spark, just pull one plug wire and have someone crank it over, you don't have to check them all.

Keep up the good work!
    nebulosity likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.