Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree311Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got the belts all tensioned, just by feel. I had two people check them for me and they said ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

I got the belts all tensioned, just by feel. I had two people check them for me and they said it seems okay, and that I'll be adjusting them again later anyway because they're new.

gsmIMG_3246.jpg

And guess who started (FINALLY) putting the radiator back on??? MEEEEEE.

gsmIMG_3247.jpg

I still have to tighten the ring clamps and the nuts on all the hoses and pipes, and connect the lower radiator hose. It looks like I somehow misplaced a ring clamp or two. o_O I'll have to get some at the auto store next time I'm there.

And omg, I realized today that my collection of screws and nuts that are left to be bolted back into place have reduced themselves to one (magnetic) bowl. This is just TOO WIERD.... It's a sign I'm getting close to finishing putting everything back together, and it's a little surreal for me...

gsmIMG_3249.jpg
    Attached Images
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

How long has the car been down?

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    How long has the car been down?
    For the repairs I'm doing? Or how long since I last drove it?

I stopped driving it in 2005.

I started doing the repairs last August. So I've been working on it (on and off) for a year. It's 30 miles away from my apartment at a friends house, and with other life complications, 60 hour work weeks, it's been slow going. :/

I've been looking at the engine of this car relatively bare for the last year, so to see it with the components on the front, with the belts and the radiator in, it's all so strange. I recognize this engine compartment better when lots of things removed from it, and seeing it with it's components is foreign. lol
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

I'd connect the lower radiator hose and pour coolant into the thermastat housing to fill the engine block. Keeping the engine block cool and gunk free is key to that engine.
    nebulosity likes this.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

If it hasn't run since 2005 I would also make sure it actually turns over before you put too much more work into it.

On another note, how I wish my AC compressor was sitting on top of the engine. I get to do that job again today or tomorrow on the LT1.
    nebulosity likes this.

Poda is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Jimmy - I hear ya, I have been putting mine off deluding myself into thinking "Windows down is good enough". No it's not. Not with the heatwave we've got right now where even the breeze at 60mph is hot and muggy. But it's frankly too hot to be spending a couple of hours under the car too, so it's on the "to do when the car comes off the road this winter" list. I'll make do with sticking to the seats for now. I hear it's not that bad if you have wobble extensions and take your time though.

Cherie - Lookin' good! Getting there
    nebulosity likes this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy
    If it hasn't run since 2005 I would also make sure it actually turns over before you put too much more work into it.

On another note, how I wish my AC compressor was sitting on top of the engine. I get to do that job again today or tomorrow on the LT1.
    I'd also put some marvel mystery oil or WD40 in the cylinders prior to turning it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    I hear it's not that bad if you have wobble extensions and take your time though.
    I relieved what little "pressure" (read: refrigerant) was left in the system this morning. It had bled down to where the compressor wouldn't run anymore. I'll probably crawl under it later today once the sun swings away from the blacktop. A series of extensions with a universal does work, but it's such a pain in the butt. The universal flops around, extensions come apart. Oh what fun. I'm headed to the Jersey Shore this weekend and really want to take the limo, but it has to have a/c.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post

Well I have to at least get coolant in it, right? The car attempted to start just fine, but because the timing was all messed up before, it wouldn't actually start. Power to the car was great, and the starter motor seemed great. I had oiled the cylinders a little bit with Marvel mystery oil a while back. I can do that again too if necessary.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I'd also put some marvel mystery oil or WD40 in the cylinders prior to turning it over.
    Yep, already did that. I can probably add a little more since it's been a year since I did that though.
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    Well I have to at least get coolant in it, right?
    Not to see if it will crank over, and it sounds like it does. That's 90% of the battle right there on a car that's been sitting so long. You're well on your way.
    77CDV and nebulosity like this.

It turns over fine. I saw the video of it turning with the chain slipping and you lined up the timing marks a couple times.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Not to see if it will crank over, and it sounds like it does. That's 90% of the battle right there on a car that's been sitting so long. You're well on your way.
    Hm.... maybe I'll try to hook the distributor back up and time everything and see if I can start the car then...

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    Hm.... maybe I'll try to hook the distributor back up and time everything and see if I can start the car then...
    I would. Just don't let it run for long. Coolant also has a lubricant in it. Just long enough to see if it fires.
    nebulosity likes this.

So I tightened down all the radiator connections and started to fill it with engine coolant. I'm going to need to get another gallon.

Strangely I feel like we got a lot of stuff done, but we really didn't. I wanted to hook everything up on the distributor, but when I checked the distributor hole before seating the distributor, there was a lot of black crap that looked like RTV laying at the bottom of the hole. I asked my husband to help me fish out the crap. It looks like someone RTV'd the distributor into the hole. o_O Is that a common practice?

I asked my husband to make me a board to sit across the top of the engine while I put the distributor and plug wires back on. Much easier to work on the top of the engine that way. Saves your back and shoulders.

Anyways, I'm super tired. Gonna get some sleep.

1002843_927799575341_1294933497_n.jpg

jsherid1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade, 77 CDV, 13 CTS-V Wagon, 06 911, 87 928S4

The presence of RTV does sound odd unless the distributor and and head are different materials and someone was trying to prevent galvanic action--but then I am not an engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night (it was the Renaissance in Nashville which was nice but has not had any, much needed, positive impact on my cognitive abilities).

Keep at it. I love threads like this where cars get a second chance thanks to determined owners who appreciate them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.