Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree314Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I agree that the manuals of these cars are worth their weight in gold. I learned how to disassemble my ...
    cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I agree that the manuals of these cars are worth their weight in gold. I learned how to disassemble my front end, which I had no idea of how to do before. (Now if only I can get someone to help me pull the hood so I can take it apart and paint my frame and lower radiator braces/ replace my power antenna/ change my drivers inner fender and passengers outer fender.)
    nebulosity likes this.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

I caught that too Jimmy!
    turbojimmy and nebulosity like this.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    Is that Mexican Coke in the background?
    Yup that sure is. My sis in law prefers this Coke over the U.S. brand. She says it tastes better.
    nebulosity likes this.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    Yup that sure is. My sis in law prefers this Coke over the U.S. brand. She says it tastes better.
    It has real sugar rather than corn syrup. I get it once in a while, but it's expensive at the local supermarket. I have an old vending machine that only takes those bottles.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

It has real sugar rather than corn syrup. I get it once in a while, but it's expensive at the local supermarket. I have an old vending machine that only takes those bottles.
    The local Costco out here has it once in a while. It does taste like it used to here.
    nebulosity likes this.

nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Yep, we only buy mexican coke because I don't tolerate High Fructose Corn Syrup well. It makes my blood sugar crash and it really ruins my health. I found that out the hard way (long story). The mexican coke tastes better anyway. We buy a ton of it in one trip because Costco doesn't always have it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    Yep, we only buy mexican coke because I don't tolerate High Fructose Corn Syrup well. It makes my blood sugar crash and it really ruins my health. I found that out the hard way (long story). The mexican coke tastes better anyway. We buy a ton of it in one trip because Costco doesn't always have it in stock.
    Ironically, I loaded the machine up this morning. The local supermarket was out of Mexicans so I had to get the smaller bottles (8 oz) US formula. At least in those I can get diet. I need to check out Sam's Club. I hear they have the Mexican Coke and Sprite.

Ironically, I loaded the machine up this morning. The local supermarket was out of Mexicans so I had to get the smaller bottles (8 oz) US formula. At least in those I can get diet. I need to check out Sam's Club. I hear they have the Mexican Coke and Sprite.
    Funny enough, I don't tolerate the aspartame in Diet coke either... it's actually worse than the high fructose corn syrup. o_O I just try to stick with real ingredients and just limit my intake of them. In all reality, I shouldn't even drink the mexican coke, but as long as I have a meal with it and drink a single bottle over a couple of hours, I'm usually okay.

Anyways, sorry to everyone for derailing the conversation to coke instead of Cadillac! LOL

Speaking of, I have some good news!!

California won't charge me for all the past years registration fees for my expired Arizona plates because it's out of state!! YAY!!! Omg I was so worried that they were going to want to charge me for 7 years of California registration because my Arizona plates are expired. o_O

Today I need to find out what kind of tool I need to tension the belts properly. Does anyone have any recommendations?

----------

Two auto parts stores of mine said I don't really need a tool to measure the tension on the belts. o_O Since I've never done it before, I'm just really wishing I could measure it the first time so that I know about how tight to make it next time. *Sigh*

Funny enough, I don't tolerate the aspartame in Diet coke either... it's actually worse than the high fructose corn syrup. o_O I just try to stick with real ingredients and just limit my intake of them. In all reality, I shouldn't even drink the mexican coke, but as long as I have a meal with it and drink a single bottle over a couple of hours, I'm usually okay.

Anyways, sorry to everyone for derailing the conversation to coke instead of Cadillac! LOL
    Yeah, that was my fault. Sorry. You don't see much of the Mexican Cokes. Thought it was an interesting digression.

----------

Two auto parts stores of mine said I don't really need a tool to measure the tension on the belts. o_O Since I've never done it before, I'm just really wishing I could measure it the first time so that I know about how tight to make it next time. *Sigh*
    It's more of an art. If they squeal, make them tighter. But make sure your starting point has a little give.
    nebulosity likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

They should be tight enough not to squeal, but loose enough to have just a *bit* of deflection when you press on them between accessory pulleys. Your shop manual looks like a fun bit of light reading!
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

If you dont find a tool for the tension, see how tight they are on a couple other cars, they are all about the same. They should feel pretty firm. Some say new belts should be even tighter because they will stretch out during their first heat cycle. But, the belts are going to give you problems anyway because there are so many of them and they pull from different ways on the crank pulley.
    nebulosity likes this.

Thanks, guys!!

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

California won't charge me for all the past years registration fees for my expired Arizona plates because it's out of state!! YAY!!! Omg I was so worried that they were going to want to charge me for 7 years of California registration because my Arizona plates are expired. o_O

Today I need to find out what kind of tool I need to tension the belts properly. Does anyone have any recommendations?

----------

7 years?! That would have stunk. So I guess you are at the Base of about $91 a year like I am then. One good thing is that as long as it is out of the system in this state then you get to start all over. Make sure you tell them you didn't pay anything for it.
    77CDV and nebulosity like this.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

California is funny that way. Here if it sits for years you don't need registration. That is why my Cadillac came w/o title. Owner had lost it. Parked car in 86 got Cal inop certificate for ten years. He owed 15 years back registration and couldn't get a replacement title without paying it!

As to Mexican Coke, I used to buy a lot of Mexican Coke....but it was the 80's, and that is another story.....

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Regarding tension on belts, I believe your manual covers this. I know it does on mine. You can use a ruler. Check tension with your thumb, push in on the belt midway between pulleys and measure deflection with a ruler and compare readings with service manual

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.