Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree311Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by cadillac kevin Sounds like its time to look for another shop. That kind of halfassery is unacceptable ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Sounds like its time to look for another shop. That kind of halfassery is unacceptable (to me anyways).
    Yeahhhhhhhhh. I agree. If these guys weren't so darn nice (genuinely), I would definitely be looking for another shop. At the very least, I need them to fix what they've messed up. There are only two auto shops in Scotts Valley, and I don't know anything about the other shop. I have several friends who go to Larry's and always have good results. Then again, if I didn't know anything about my car, I never would have known they lost my bracket and didn't screw the bolt in. Makes you wonder how often this happens and people are oblivious.....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I hope they get it all straightened out.

BTW, Dose this mean we should stop posting ideas in the "How To Really Convey Appreciation/Gratitude To Your Mechanic?" thread?

Hahaha My husband doesn't think I should do anything nice for them now either. lol, sad.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity

Yeahhhhhhhhh. I agree. If these guys weren't so darn nice (genuinely), I would definitely be looking for another shop. At the very least, I need them to fix what they've messed up. There are only two auto shops in Scotts Valley, and I don't know anything about the other shop. I have several friends who go to Larry's and always have good results. Then again, if I didn't know anything about my car, I never would have known they lost my bracket and didn't screw the bolt in. Makes you wonder how often this happens and people are oblivious.....
    If they can't find the bracket, theres a 4100 powered bustleback seville in the yard here. It should have it.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    If they can't find the bracket, theres a 4100 powered bustleback seville in the yard here. It should have it.
    Wow, that's very kind of you. The pick-n-pull near my house looks like it has an '84 in the yard, so worst case scenario I can probably just go pull it there. It's just something else, ya know? If they end up not finding the bracket and I can't get my hands on one at the yard, I'll let you know.

cadillaccruiser703 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1954 coupe deville, 1984 fleetwood 2dr

by any chance do you know what size bolt for the water pump. its by the lower hose, the very bottom one. seems as if i didnt install my water pump right and leaks right around that area because of this dam bolt. this is all that i need to complete my timing chain job on the 4100. thanks
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    You have the patients of a high school teacher.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaccruiser703 View Post
    by any chance do you know what size bolt for the water pump. its by the lower hose, the very bottom one. seems as if i didnt install my water pump right and leaks right around that area because of this dam bolt. this is all that i need to complete my timing chain job on the 4100. thanks
    You need to know the length and thread pitch? Or just the bolt head size? And how can you fix the leak with that info? I would imagine that it would leak if your gasket didn't make a good seal at that location. Did you torque everything down properly? Was the gasket surface nice and smooth when you put it all back together, free of old gasket material and nicks in the surface?

Does this image give you the information you need?

water_pump_bolts.gif

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    You have the patients of a high school teacher.
    It's funny too... I usually don't have this kind of patience with people (mechanics who lose parts on a car). lol

thanks that chart helps. this car came with some hardware missing and the timing cover already torn apart. so i been piecing it as i go. thought i was done, then added coolant and leaked right around that bolt. i used one long enough for the timing cover but enough for the pump. its "b" on your chart.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Put thread sealer on the bolts.
    nebulosity likes this.

The problem i have is that bolt"b" is a little bolt. And the water pump does not sit flush against the timing cover there. So what i did was just leave that hole alone since it was elevated and had enough clearance for the little bolt head

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

After having the first resto shop lose half the trim and assorted parts on my 69, I definitely feel your pain, Cherie. You seriously need a new mechanic.

Caddy update: we decided we're not going to risk the treaterous drive up hwy 17, and we've scheduled a tow truck for tomorrow morning, YAY! This means that the caddy will be in San jose tomorrow morning FOR SURE, WITHOUT mishaps. Emissions testing to follow arrival into san jose. Hoping my baby passes! This is all good news. Hoping for nothing extraordinary to happen tomorrow. I just need to get this car smogged and registered. I LOVE MY CADDY <3 <3

I made a silent promise to my car 8 years ago that I would follow through and get it running smoothly again, and here I am now, able to say Ive kept my promise. Now im ready to move into the next stage where I can drive the car regularly. Im making it my daily commuter as soon as registration happens. I wouldnt have gotten this far without you guys. <3
    77CDV and jamespowers like this.

For convenience we towed the Caddy all the way home. We're charging the battery a bit now, and then will go over to the emissions station for testing.

gsm_DSC5022.jpg

gsm_DSC5030.jpg

gsm_DSC5023.jpg

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

SUCH a gorgeous car. I'm a huge fan of the Coupes in white.
    77CDV and nebulosity like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    SUCH a gorgeous car. I'm a huge fan of the Coupes in white.
    Thanks! I think so too. The paint is a bit faded, but it's color is actually a really pale tan color.. if I were to name the color, I'd call it "sand," LOL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.