Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree314Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Caddy update: They noticed the distributor wasn't bolted down securely and the timing was changing causing the power loss. Now, ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Caddy update:

They noticed the distributor wasn't bolted down securely and the timing was changing causing the power loss. Now, I know that we couldn't figure out how the distributor is supposed to be bolted down, so I'm not in the least bit surprised they found that out (although I didn't think it was the primary cause for loss of power).

Does anyone know how the distributor is supposed to be fixed in place after you set the timing? It seemed like someone had RTVd the thing in before I took the distributor base out, and I didn't RTV it back in because I didn't think that was the official way to do it.

Ideas?

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Is there not a clamp and bolt?
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

There should be a bolt hole close by that would be used to bolt down the distributer clamp.
    nebulosity likes this.

There is a threaded rod with a washer and a nut UNDER the distributor base, but it's unclear to use how it does anything to keep the distributor from rotating... as far as we can see, it only keeps the distributor in the hole. There's supposed to be a clamp? When I took the caddy originally to be checked out at a place in san jose called Robbie's auto, they returned the car to me without the distributor bolted into the hole... it was just sitting in there.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

There should be a bolt, or perhaps a nut on a stud, and a clamp to hold that distributor in place. It's engineered in a way that no human could possibly see or touch it. The engineers still giggle themselves to sleep at night. When you have the right parts, you'll need a distributor wrench (a 90-degree wrench) to get on the bolt/nut and even then you can get like 1/100" of a turn at a time out of it. It would take hours to tighten properly. Or at least that's how I recall them. YMMV.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    There should be a bolt, or perhaps a nut on a stud, and a clamp to hold that distributor in place. It's engineered in a way that no human could possibly see or touch it. The engineers still giggle themselves to sleep at night. When you have the right parts, you'll need a distributor wrench (a 90-degree wrench) to get on the bolt/nut and even then you can get like 1/100" of a turn at a time out of it. It would take hours to tighten properly. Or at least that's how I recall them. YMMV.
    There is a nut on a stud. How the heck does it keep the distributor in place?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You're missing the clamp.
    turbojimmy and nebulosity like this.

What's it look like? I could probably go pull one off at the Pick-n-Pull.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Yeah, you can get one from the JY...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...B6bbyQGDjIDAAw
    turbojimmy likes this.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado 4.9

You need the part numbered as 17.

nebulosity likes this.

Caddy update:

I found the funny shaped washer (i.e. clamp) that holds the distributor in place. Now I need a distributor wrench.

Because of work, I haven't been able to go get the Caddy yet, but we're definitely going down to get the caddy in the morning. I need to test drive it to make sure it'll be able to handle at least 40mph. Once we feel comfortable that the caddy is in decent shape to drive up the 17, we're going to take it to get smogged.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. The uncertainty makes me worry a bit. :/

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. The uncertainty makes me worry a bit. :/
    Fingers crossed for you! Definitely hoping that everything works out. I'm a huge fan of the '84 Coupes, and it always sucks seeing one down. BEST OF LUCK!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I wish you luck but I would bet money a poor running car will not pass smog.

I always tell my girlfriend to wear something sexy when she takes her old clunkers in for inspection. Surprisingly it works and they always miss the medium sized rust holes that I didn't feel like fixing. I tell her to keep talking and joking with the guys while they are under the car to mess up their train of thought lol. Probably irrelevant for a smog check.

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt

Fingers crossed for you! Definitely hoping that everything works out. I'm a huge fan of the '84 Coupes, and it always sucks seeing one down. BEST OF LUCK!
    Thanks!! We need it. We'll do our best and keep you guys updated.

Caddy update:

Took the Caddy for a test drive and to the gas station for a little more gas (first gas station fillup in years!!). The Caddy drove quite nicely! A lot like I remember it. Not a race car obviously, but it absolutely did not struggle or backfire, even on modest hills. I got up to 45mph no problem whatsoever.

The only issue now is that it still needs a new valve cover gasket and one of the holes probably need to be re-tapped. Since I apparently screwed it up last time, Im just gonna let the guys at Larrys take care of it. They wot be able to get to it for a week or so, but theres no hurry since my moving permit is good for 60 days.

We're on our way to go replace the battery because it doesnt really hold a charge anymore. Then we go pick up the calve cover gasket at winchester auto, put in the new battery and leave the new gaskets in the Caddy.

It was throwing some codes at first: 12, 15, 23, 30, 52, but after we took out the battery (and then had to put it back in to move the car, lol) effectively clearing the codes, I was getting a 16 and a 52. I left my shop manual at home by accident, so I cant remember what all the codes are. Some are probably related to the fact that the auto shop guy played with the distributor, and I expect those codes wont stay long after we get the new battery in, Ill clear the codes, start it up and try again.

----------

First fillup at the gas station in years...

----------

....... hey, this is a loud sound. What the heck is it? A valve? o_O

mitch2264 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.