Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree314Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by lacville78 Another concern I have is the condition of the transmission, you mentioned the car not shifting ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: Cherie's '84 Coupe DeVille Project

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    Another concern I have is the condition of the transmission, you mentioned the car not shifting properly, and now there is overheating to consider.
    When the engine gets hot, the transmission does as well. Make sure to check the state of the transmission fluid.
    Will do. It may not be the transmission's fault... it seems that the engine didn't have enough power, and as a result, it kept the transmission in a lower gear to get torque (staying down shifted). The reason I say this is because as soon as I let off the throttle, the engine would go to shift to a higher gear. The fastest I could go was 30-35mph, but it was really working hard to be there, and towards the end, I could only hold it at 20mph.

Btw, this was while climbing a hill.

UPDATE:

Okay, so....... the shop calls me:

Guy: "The Cadillac is done and ready for pickup."
    Me: "What? It's done? You fixed it?" o____O
    Guy: "Yep."
    Me: "What was wrong?"

Guy said something about there being a leak around the heater hose/heater core, and that coolant was leaking into (somewhere?) and then getting onto the exhaust manifold, which is why it was giving off white smoke. There was a part where the heater hose connects to that was cracked? And they managed to trim off that part and put the hose back on? And that the only other option would be to replace the heater core, but they don't really think it's all that necessary especially considering that's expensive?

Basically it comes down to the fact that coolant wasn't circulating as it should, which was causing the overheating.

I really don't think I caught the explanation right because the heater hose is on the passenger side running from the radiator to the firewall, and the side of the engine that seemed to be emitting the white smoke was on the drivers side near the exhaust manifold.

I'll have to hear it again when I get to the shop.

In the mean time I'm going to read up on the heater core/heater hose part of the system and see if I can make sense of what I remember from the explanation.

They said my head gasket is fine. o_O That's good news.

This is all just a bit weird.

Also, what I need to do is make sure the caddy can climb the hills of HWY 17 so that I can get back to San Jose.... my husband says it SHOULD be able to do a solid 50mph on those hills if it's running properly.

Let me know if you have any particular thoughts about this.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

never heard of a leaking heater core causing a car to backfire and/or this "Sadly blew the rockar arm cover gasket i just put in"

It would also have to be a big leak to cause the car to overheat I'd think...even with a plugged up heater core the car usually runs fine.
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    If the valve cover gasket really blew out because of pressure then you need to check your crankcase vent or pcv valve because it will blow other seals like the front and rear mains and that would be a pain. I'm not sure if Jay made it a sticky but I did a thread on how to replace the heater core, pretty straight forward. I'm noticing that these 4100s aren't as fragile as I've been hearing. Not sure if I've noticed a member here that's had a running 4100 say that it blew on them.
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    never heard of a leaking heater core causing a car to backfire and/or this "Sadly blew the rockar arm cover gasket i just put in"
    True. I have to remember that the blown gasket problem still hasn't been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    It would also have to be a big leak to cause the car to overheat I'd think...even with a plugged up heater core the car usually runs fine.
    Could the hills have compounded the problem? The engine sure had to stay revving high just to keep 20mph on those hills. It seems to me that there was so much back pressure on the engine that maybe that's what blew the valve cover gasket. Then the question becomes: why is so much back pressure accumulating? My PCV valve is new, and I checked the vacuum system (in a basic way), so I would expect everything is running normally there. o_O

----------

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    If the valve cover gasket really blew out because of pressure then you need to check your crankcase vent or pcv valve because it will blow other seals like the front and rear mains and that would be a pain.
    PCV valve is new. What do I look for when I inspect the crankcase? Problems with the seal?

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    I'm not sure if Jay made it a sticky but I did a thread on how to replace the heater core, pretty straight forward. I'm noticing that these 4100s aren't as fragile as I've been hearing. Not sure if I've noticed a member here that's had a running 4100 say that it blew on them.
    Yeah, I also looked up the cost of a heater core, and it's only like $25/$35, so I'm not sure why Guy said it would be "expensive." How long did the replacement take? I still don't know enough about the system to even say I'd want to replace it.

Blah. -__- Need to figure out what caused the valve cover gasket to blow out. Maybe I installed it wrong?

UPDATE: The shop called me again to tell me that the tech actually didn't test drive it, so when they went to move it, they noticed it had so little power, and I was like, "Yeaaaaahhhhhhhh." He asked me if I wanted him to look into it, and I was like, "YES, PLEASE." lol. So it'll be nice to have people with experience actually looking at the issue because I have no idea what causes such loss of power. :/

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post
    I have no idea what causes such loss of power. :/
    In technical terms, it's broken :-p
    77CDV and nebulosity like this.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    In technical terms, it's broken :-p
    Technically. :P

I hope they can figure it out because I'd probably be scratching my head and reading around the internet FOR DAYS, or worse, weeks.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    Another concern I have is the condition of the transmission, you mentioned the car not shifting properly, and now there is overheating to consider.
    When the engine gets hot, the transmission does as well. Make sure to check the state of the transmission fluid.
    after the wreck in my 86, the trans would act up when the engine warmed up and lost compression, but would act normally until the engine warmed up (so it would work fine for anywhere from 5-10 minutes then start acting up. check the trans fluid for color/ smell but the trans should be fine.
    BTW, given you had overheating+ no power+ blown valve cover gasket....maybe blown HG too? seems something caused quite the pressure build up to blow the valve cover gasket/ lack of cooling. Hows the radiator?
    nebulosity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    after the wreck in my 86, the trans would act up when the engine warmed up and lost compression, but would act normally until the engine warmed up (so it would work fine for anywhere from 5-10 minutes then start acting up. check the trans fluid for color/ smell but the trans should be fine.
    BTW, given you had overheating+ no power+ blown valve cover gasket....maybe blown HG too? seems something caused quite the pressure build up to blow the valve cover gasket/ lack of cooling. Hows the radiator?
    Interesting to hear how the transmission could be related. I'll definitely double check the transmission fluid.

The guys at the shop said they ran a test to be sure I didn't have a blown head gasket (apparently it wasn't a compression test, but a test of the exhaust gases to make sure there wasn't any coolant/oil? Not entirely sure here).

It would be nice if the loss of power is actually the same thing that cause the blown valve cover gasket, because then it would be two birds with one stone. The only question is now, what caused such significant back pressure in the engine to blow the valve cover gasket? I'm not sure, but I'm starting to wonder if my installation job wasn't 100%. I torqued everything down to spec (35 ft-lbs), but there was one valve cover screw that I had trouble tightening. Regardless, there was clearly too much pressure in there, and I'm not sure why. PCV valve is new and the vacuum system is working (as far as I tested it).

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

If we go back to basics and think of the engine as an air pump, either the PCV system isn't working or it can't keep up with the piston ring blow by. Maybe a clogged exhaust would contribute to even more blow by. A clogged exhaust will also kill your vacuum and power, and the low vacuum will make the trans not shift right. I don't know how complicated the PCV system is on that car being from Cali and all. If it's simply a PCV valve running straight to the intake then there isn't much to fail there. It should have another compression test but my gut tells me the exhaust may be clogged. I hope your shop can get it sorted out quickly.
    nebulosity likes this.

blueboy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

...'cept the body. ya need the fleetwood manual for that.
    nebulosity likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I like the idea of clogged exhaust. Also, the last time you reported about the fuel system, you said the injectors weren't spraying as they should. I'd get the exhaust tested somehow and get a fuel pressure reading. I think Al may be on to something with the exhaust. So did the valve cover gasket actually move off the surface or did it just leak a lot? I'd also wonder what the computer is doing to the fuel trim when it thinks timing is at 30 but it's actually at 10. Almost tempted to put it back to 30. You got a lot of things going on here but it's probably not this complicated.
    nebulosity likes this.

Here, have some pictures while I continue to contemplate my Caddy dilemma.

I've done a LOT of reading in this thing.. hours.
    gsmIMG_3448.jpg

My first ever trip to a pick-n-pull.
    gsmIMG_3449.jpg

Scored this part -- they gave it to me free. ... There were no other girls there. LOL this part was lost in our move from Utah to Cali.
    gsmIMG_3452.jpg

I made sure to thank this beautiful car for donating its part to my Caddy. It broke my heart to see the face of a car similar to mine in a place like this.
    gIMG_3450.jpg

Put everything back together. It's been a long time since I've seen this sight...
    gsmIMG_3461.jpg

I learned how to use a timing gun.
    gsmIMG_3467.jpg

Caddy's first day out on the town! ...Well, sort of. We arrived at Larry's Auto Care to get it smogged. Unfortunately they don't have a dyno. So we went in search of a place in SJ that did. We didn't make it out of Scotts Valley though. HWY 17's hills are brutal.
    gsmIMG_3471.jpg

.... so we had it towed back to Larry's after it overheated.
    gsmIMG_3472.jpg

And we arrived. I realized I've seen my caddy on a tow truck more times than on the road. There will a come a day when the Caddy has more drives than tow rides. I promised it to my Caddy.
    gsmIMG_3475.jpg
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

what happened to your rocker panel? Go offroading?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.