waterpump for 472ci
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, waterpump for 472ci in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have eliminated the air pump and the compressor from the engine. to do this i spaced the alternator and ...
    jawshnitzel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 deville

waterpump for 472ci

i have eliminated the air pump and the compressor from the engine. to do this i spaced the alternator and power steer pump out from the block approx 3/4".. got some appropriate length belts and all was good.

but my waterpump is bad. i see 2 pumps online, one for "SINGLE GROOVE POWER STEERING PULLEY" and one for "DOUBLE GROOVE POWER STEERING PULLEY"

my engine rriginally had 2 belts on the power steering pump. but with my new configuration i am only running 1.

so im wondering what exactly is the difference? difference between these 2 water pumps? the single groove version is drastically cheaper. can i use it and run my old pulley? or would the belts no longer line up?

shnitzel

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Garys is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 CDV / 1970 FWB /1979 FWB / 1995 Eldo

Re: waterpump for 472ci

Oh I know the answer to this one! I was given, by mistake at Napa, a water pump for a single belt, when I had a double belt setup. I just love doing an ugly job twice! The water pumps are the same, except the water pump for the double belt setup has a larger indentation on the water pump body for the belts to clear. The inner belt is the one that you would have trouble with, so now that you have just the outer single belt, the water pump for a single belt should work out fine. Good luck!

BTW I thought only the 1968 through 1970 Cadillacs had the double belt (ac compressor and power steering) set up. Am I mistaken?

thats exactly the answer i was looking for!!! thank you! no i dont use the inside pulley anymore. so this is perfect! save $40! thank you!

project is a 1965 for truck mounted on a 73 deville frame / drivetrain... just pulled it out of the shop yesterday!!! stoked! now for a new waterpump!

shnitzel

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Pics?

Garys is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 CDV / 1970 FWB /1979 FWB / 1995 Eldo

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Garys View Post
    project is a 1965 for truck mounted on a 73 deville frame / drivetrain... just pulled it out of the shop yesterday!!!
    Was the wheelbase on the Cadillac frame the same as the truck's body? How was it mounted to the frame? Pics please!

thanx again, i ordered the $21 pump for single belt. and a new rad.

no pix yet, not that ive taken myself. i dont use cameras, or phones... ha ha ha... truck is fully air susp and lays rockers 1/2" off ground. tons of custom work to make that happen. basically a 6" channel. left the caddy susp stock, sits on stock bumpstops when down. but with a mega channel. heh heh.

ill upload some pix after i drive it a bit. not worthy of showing off till i can get it further than a mile from the house! soon!!!!

oh ya, yes, wheelbase VERY close. i think it was within 1/4".... i measured every big old station wagon and 4 door boat around, caddy was damn perfect! 4-link susp, huge motor, perfect donor car. donor EVERYTHING!!! even used the caddy steering column. heavily modified of course....

actually, truck can be seen BEFORE i finished it here....... its the red one laying in the yard. documentary trailer...... shows the truck about 20 seconds into video. its flat black now though.

http://vimeo.com/21674772

shnitz

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.