1989 Cadillac Brougham Alternator change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By Jeppi94
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1989 Cadillac Brougham Alternator change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello my fellow humans! Now, i was out driving and the "NO CHARGE" light came on suddenly. Now, my dad ...
    Jeppi94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadllac Brougham

Question 1989 Cadillac Brougham Alternator change

Hello my fellow humans!

Now, i was out driving and the "NO CHARGE" light came on suddenly. Now, my dad was 90% sure that my alternator have gone broke. I have had a look on some websites for a new alternator but they all seem to have V-belts without any cog's, my alternator is driven by something that looks like a timing belt with cog's. Anyhow, to remove the alternator i will have to untighten the drive belt and where and how do i do that on the VIN Y Olds 307 5.0L ?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeppi94
    Hello my fellow humans!

Now, i was out driving and the "NO CHARGE" light came on suddenly. Now, my dad was 90% sure that my alternator have gone broke. I have had a look on some websites for a new alternator but they all seem to have V-belts without any cog's, my alternator is driven by something that looks like a timing belt with cog's. Anyhow, to remove the alternator i will have to untighten the drive belt and where and how do i do that on the VIN Y Olds 307 5.0L ?
    No charge light could be loose belt or a bad diode in the alternator.
    The alternators with the V belt without cogs is for a serpentine setup (for chevy motors)
    Yours will have a pulley like the one that is already on yours. Check oreillys or carquest for an ac delco alternator for your car.(I do not trust the "house brand" alternators). You will want the one with the highest amp rating (GM had a 67, 78, and either approx. 90 or 100 amp alternator in the 80s.)
    As for how to loosen the belt to change it, IIRC from when I did my alternator on my 307, you simply loosen the bolts that hold it in place and it swings down.

Re: 1989 Cadillac Brougham Alternator change

Ok, thx for your reply!
    I indeed have some belt squeak at start up sometimes, but i i've felt on the generator belt and it's rather snug as it should be. I wonder, is there anyway you can check the alternator with a multimeter?

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

If I recall these alternators have an internal regulator that can also be the problem. These parts are also available if you decide to do it yourself. A new alternator is by far the easier way but each to their own. When I pulled mine out I cleaned it all up and spray painted it gloss black to match the AC Compressor.

I had a friend of mine who's really good at electronics and cars to make a diagnostic fail search on the alternator and it came out to be a burnt out set of doids. So i've bought a new set of diods and a regulator as well. Way cheaper than replacing the entire alternator.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin
    Check oreillys or carquest for an ac delco alternator for your car.
    Probably not many of those in Sweeden .

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

You make a very good point there.

sadly, neither oreillys nor carquest ship international. But i found a Swedish company who got the regulator and parts i need. And yes, the 80's Cadillac's especially the Brougham, is very rare here in Sweden, personally i had never seen one for real before i bought mine. But it's the straight opposit with 50's and 60's Cadillac's, they are everywhere and i mean everywhere. After USA and Cuba, Sweden is the country with the largest ammount of classic cadillac's.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    For future reference, www.rockauto.com ships internationally, and the site has an option to display prices in local currency.
    nebulosity likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It shouldn't be too hard to find a local company that either sells the alternator you need or can rebuild the one you have. Those GM alternators were used for a lot of applications including a lot of commerical type trucks that would have made it overseas.

I drove the car a few miles on battery to my friends dad who offered to make a diognostic search and rebuild the alternator. it's showed out to be a few diodes that have goe broken. So i've ordered a new set of diodes and a regulator from a local site. The alternator is a 105A Delco-Remy. Soon i will be rollin again!
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.