Cadillac Owners Forum banner

84 cadi deville

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cadillac kevin 
#1 ·
Hi I have an 84 cadi deville with a HT4100 v8 4.1 its making a constant popping noise to the throttle body please help

#5 ·
Jayoldschool. Its all the above. It pops louder when you hit the accelerator. in Park in drive in neutral it still makes a constant popping through the throttle body can't figure it out done timeing done spark plugs wires done distributor cap. still the same thing

#10 ·
To further confirm a flat cam, remove drivers side valve cover and start the engine, if flat you will see a noticeable difference in rocker arm movement. The flat lobe will cause very little pivoting of the rocker. In most cases the cam went flat because of coolant that leaked into the lifter valley and washed the oil off the cam. That washing usually damaged the crank bearings as well. In most cases an engine replacement is in the near future!

#15 ·
olds 307 (available in pretty much every early 80s- 1990 RWD buick, olds, and pontiac) /350 (available until 1981? in RWD oldsmobiles)

chevy 350- available in everyhting from trucks/ vans to caprices

both would allow you to keep the trans.

getting a brougham with the drievtrain you want would be easiest (have all the parts you'd need for the swap) and get you a

an olds 307 or 350 would be cheaper probably (alot of cars with those motors still floating around and the driveshaft for it can be sourced from the junkyard. you will need the computer and carb if you decide to keep the CCC system (else you will need a new carb and distributor)

a chevy 350 would give you more power at the expense of possibly shortening the life of the transmission. your driveshaft would need to be shortened most likely (cost me about 150 to have mine shortened, balanced, and painted). if you go with a 1987-95 engine (serpentine setup), you can use the AC lines from the 1991-92 brougham. you will need to either get an inline fuel pump for the TBI unit or go carbuerated (check to make sure that there is a hole behind the plate on the pass side of the block down low for the fuel pump if you want to go carb'ed)

All in all, I'd expect to spend 2k-2500 from start to finish given someone else does the labor. subtract whatever you get for the donor car/ truck in parts/ scrap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.