96 fleetwood wont start after rain
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 96 fleetwood wont start after rain in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Cadillac lovers I get info here all the time to fix my cars but this one I have to ...
  1. #1
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Hello Cadillac lovers I get info here all the time to fix my cars but this one I have to post on, I recently changed the water pump being careful not to get the opti wet but a week later noticed some coolant on top of the water pump due to the new bleeder screw installed at the same time on the thermostat housing so I sealed that back up but ever since after it rains my car won't start after it rains, Well I got the bright idea to put a hair dryer on the opti for 5 min's and it fires right up, so every time it rains I have to do this, I was reading up and changed the vacuum line with filter running to the opti but no dice... any info or ideas on this i would appreciate.

    Thank you,
    Ben

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    jayoldschool's Avatar
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,966

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    If the vacuum line is working (test it), I would give the opti a liberal spray of WD40. Everywhere. Front, back, plug boots, etc.

  4. #3
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    If the vacuum line is working (test it), I would give the opti a liberal spray of WD40. Everywhere. Front, back, plug boots, etc.
    What will the wd40 do? It won't harm the opti at all? And also to test the vacuum do I just pull it off the opti side and see if its sucking?

  5. #4
    seok's Avatar
    seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    38
    Posts
    55

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Im thinking its not drying out properly thru the vacuum hose. Its very slight, check the vacuum with a small piece of paper held in front of the hose, it should suck it up against the hose. Check the harness connections on the opti also. Wouldn't hurt to add some dielectric grease to the connector and plug it back up. It will help keep it free of moisture. Good luck

    ----------

    Oops forgot, on a non running car you will you want to use a vacuum pump on the vent hose end attached to intake manifold, pull and check for vacuum at the end of the harness attached to the intake ducting. Not down at the opti.

  6. #5
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Quote Originally Posted by seok View Post
    Im thinking its not drying out properly thru the vacuum hose. Its very slight, check the vacuum with a small piece of paper held in front of the hose, it should suck it up against the hose. Check the harness connections on the opti also. Wouldn't hurt to add some dielectric grease to the connector and plug it back up. It will help keep it free of moisture. Good luck

    ----------

    Oops forgot, on a non running car you will you want to use a vacuum pump on the vent hose end attached to intake manifold, pull and check for vacuum at the end of the harness attached to the intake ducting. Not down at the opti.
    Ok thanks for the info ill try that now

  7. #6
    jayoldschool's Avatar
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,966

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Also, WD40 won't hurt anything. The "WD" stands for "Water Displacement".

  8. #7
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Ok so I checked the harness connections on opti and it looked good, dry and no corrosion but I put the hair dryer on it for 5 minutes and added the dielectric, it fired right up after that so I checked the vacuum and it passed the paper test but it seemed like it needed a hose clamp where it slides on to the opti it seemed not as tight a fit as it should be so I put one, all I can do now is wait til it rains again...

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Also, WD40 won't hurt anything. The "WD" stands for "Water Displacement".
    Ok thanks I will give it a squirt

  9. #8
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Well the wife and I took the car on a trip for the 4th it rained the whole way there and there wasn't a problem nothing goes wrong when I'm driving but it rained over night and she wouldn't start in the morning but I brought my trusty hair dryer and extension cord and after 5 minutes of hot air she fires back up...I was thinking of changing the cover on the opti to see if that helps I'm nit sure what else I can try besides a new opti???

  10. #9
    Cadillacboy's Avatar
    Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,223

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Distributor cap or distributor may be , we had our distributor replaced recently because most times the car stalled when coming close to stop or reversing and sometimes it took ages for it to restart .I believe your issues mostly are related to ignition system , let's not rule out broken wires as well

  11. #10
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    Distributor cap or distributor may be , we had our distributor replaced recently because most times the car stalled when coming close to stop or reversing and sometimes it took ages for it to restart .I believe your issues mostly are related to ignition system , let's not rule out broken wires as well
    Ok thanks for the info, do they sell the coil wire seperate or do you have to buy a hole plug wire set? Or if I buy a ignition does it come with one?

  12. #11
    Cadillacboy's Avatar
    Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,223

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGBEN11 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info, do they sell the coil wire seperate or do you have to buy a hole plug wire set? Or if I buy a ignition does it come with one?
    I don't know for sure sorry for that but ignition coil comes with the whole set if I recall correctly but I remember seeing the wires alone on ebay .Still, I think it's worth buying a whole kit if the price is not a deal breaker

  13. #12
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    I don't know for sure sorry for that but ignition coil comes with the whole set if I recall correctly but I remember seeing the wires alone on ebay .Still, I think it's worth buying a whole kit if the price is not a deal breaker
    Thanks for the help I just put a new ignition coi,l I bought a universal coil plug but ended up not having the right end on it, mine didn't look bad so I reused it for now, I won't be able to tell if it worked until it rains and sits overnight again, but it didn't start b4 I installed the new ignition and it fired right up after but I don't want to keep my hopes up

  14. #13
    jayoldschool's Avatar
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,966

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Since you know where the coil is now, take the wire back off, clean the contacts, and coat them with dilectric grease.

  15. #14
    BIGBEN11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 fleetwood coupe & 1996 fleetwood brougham
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    15

    Re: 96 fleetwood wont start after rain

    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Since you know where the coil is now, take the wire back off, clean the contacts, and coat them with dilectric grease.
    I made sure to when I installed the new one thanks, I never used that stuff before cause I'm from the desert but its really humid where I'm at now

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting