90 Brougham - Service engine light - power loss. What could I be looking at?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 90 Brougham - Service engine light - power loss. What could I be looking at? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everybody. Today on my way home, as I was accelerating up a hill, I got a service engine light ...
    Johnny Kaka is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

90 Brougham - Service engine light - power loss. What could I be looking at?

Hello everybody. Today on my way home, as I was accelerating up a hill, I got a service engine light and immediately lost about half of the engine power. I didn't smell anything burning, or any coolant smells. Once I got it home, I popped the hood. Saw no leaks, but it was extraordinarily hot. And the coolant reservoir was empty. An hour later, the coolant reservoir is full again. No leaks underneath.
    I realize that without a reader, I will be flying somewhat blind, but do any of you know from my description what this might be?
    -Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kaka
    Hello everybody. Today on my way home, as I was accelerating up a hill, I got a service engine light and immediately lost about half of the engine power. I didn't smell anything burning, or any coolant smells. Once I got it home, I popped the hood. Saw no leaks, but it was extraordinarily hot. And the coolant reservoir was empty. An hour later, the coolant reservoir is full again. No leaks underneath.
    I realize that without a reader, I will be flying somewhat blind, but do any of you know from my description what this might be?
    -Thanks!
    Get a paperclip and jump the ALDL....it will blink out a 2 digit code. no need for a reader

Re: 90 Brougham - Service engine light - power loss. What could I be looking at?

How do you "jump the ALDL" with a paperclip? Is it behind the glovebox?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Re: 90 Brougham - Service engine light - power loss. What could I be looking at?

it is under the dash to the right of the center stack.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm...codes-free.php

Holy cow. THANK YOU! 43- knock sensor circuit. I hope it is as simple as that.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I dont think its the knock sensor itself, it just picked up a noise that sounded like a knock or detonation and adjusted the timing by 5 degrees. The timing adjustment is what caused you to lose power. I had this problem for the longest and couldn't figure out what it was, I ended up adjusting the timing manually back to normal and leaving the check engine light on. If I'm not mistaking, it should run good until it warms up and then run like crap. I would try resetting it by unplugging the battery for a while and see if it happens again. The knock sensor is picking up a noise on the bottom end that shouldn't be there. If you have no noise, maybe it is the sensor but that wasnt the case for me.

I have a rattling heat shield. It is making a lot of noise, but I didn't think the knock sensors were made to pick up exhaust rattles. Could that be it?

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I dont think thats the problem but maybe. I think the sensor is cheap so maybe you can grab one since you have no real noise.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The knock sensor should only be picking up noises from the engine itself and the heat shield is probably the wrong tone to cause it. If it continues it could just be the knock sensor is over-sensitive or giving a bad reading that the computer doesn't like.

For a 1990 what engine you have will also make a difference for what's wrong. A carburetor will have more oddball problems then fuel injection will. And if you have the 5.7L you don't need the paper clip to get codes, you can get more just by holding off and warmer on the climate control. It might not give much engine information if you have a 5L car tho.

it is a 5.7.
    I have been running a bit rough for a while. My suspicion is that the car needs new plugs and wires, along with a distributor. When it warms up, it runs rough. Doesn't knock, but shakes a bit. This has been going on for a while.
    I am also wondering about the ICM. I know that it can cause similar symptoms. Not sure it would throw a Knock sensor code, but here is some background:

A few weeks back, I came out to the car and tried to start it up. It cranked a few times then died. Then, I tried again, and lost all power on the dash. tried again a minute later, and it started up. This happened a bunch of times, then mysteriously stopped happening. I was thinking a short in a wire or something. Would a bad ICM do this? Why would the dash lose power? Could this be the reason the car loses power? OR could I have a faulty wire from the battery (Which would explain the dead dash) that is bugging out the knock sensor? I want to get this fixed by Thursday if I can.

I should also add that it was raining heavily yesterday.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.