Help my 94 fleetwood won't start !! Passkey fault light steady on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help my 94 fleetwood won't start !! Passkey fault light steady on in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 94 fleetwood won't start, the passkey fault light is steady on when i try to crank it and even ...
    Fleetwoodboule is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 fleetwood brougham

Unhappy Help my 94 fleetwood won't start !! Passkey fault light steady on

My 94 fleetwood won't start, the passkey fault light is steady on when i try to crank it and even when it goes off the car won't start , the light just comes back on. I know it's not the ignition because I bypassed it with a resistor( resistor is 11.82 ohms as it is a number 15 key, i double checked so im 100 % sure it's correct) So what could the problem be ? Could the starter being faulty cause the passkey light to come on? any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know where to go from here and don't have the money for the dealership. Also I checked the obd and no codes came up only history 01-128, 01-142,01-143,01-144. Im the second owner and car has only 61000 miles,
    please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: Help my 94 fleetwood won't start !! Passkey fault light steady on

A bad starter won't cause the passkey fault light to come on. Only a passkey fault causes the passkey light to come on. It sounds like you might have something fishy with your bypass. Or did you install the bypass to try to correct the no-crank condition? If you leave the key turned on for 3 minutes and then crank it, it will start if it's a passkey fault.

My '94 has been sketchy starting lately. Sometimes it won't crank. If I work the ignition (turn it to start and back several times) it will eventually go. It's random. I think it's the solenoid (part of the starter). When it fails completely I'll replace it.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Some cars with passkey problems will start if you leave the key in the on position for about 15 minutes. I know you dont think its related to the passkey but, if it hasnt started since the security light came on...

Yeah i though it might had been the ignition so i cut the wire under the dash to check the reading, and it was good, but decided to bypass it anyways to avoid problems down the road. So what you are telling me is that its not a passkey fault cause the car won't crank at all even when the light goes off after 3 minutes, so its possibly a problem with the starter or its solenoid? Do you know of a way to check that?

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

That's news to me , leaving the key in ON position for 15 mins and then cause all pass key fault problems ?
    Wish I could help the OP , but I do have an idea and hopefully works for him , unplug the negative battery cable for 15 mins and re attach it ? May be this 15 min trick works for you

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

I'm going on memory, but I believe the Passkey timeout is 180 seconds (3 minutes). If it's a Passkey issue, it should crank after 3 minutes.

It could be a starter or solenoid problem. You'd have to check to make sure you're getting voltage at the solenoid when it cranks, which means you have to get under the car while someone turns the key. It's the smaller lug on the starter. There might be an easier way, but that's all I can recall at the moment.

804fleetbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Fleetwood Broham

theft deterrent module. at the worst. well I had this problem with my 94 roadmaster and my lil brother 94 caddi. hth just my personal experience

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 804fleetbro View Post
    theft deterrent module. at the worst.
    I find it to be the owner deterrent module more often. My friend has a 96 and it gave him plenty of problems too.....

804fleetbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Fleetwood Broham

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    I find it to be the owner deterrent module more often. My friend has a 96 and it gave him plenty of problems too.....
    ..... really though?

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

theft deterrent module. at the worst. well I had this problem with my 94 roadmaster and my lil brother 94 caddi. hth just my personal experience
    +1. Usually a broken wire inside the ignition lock cylinder will cause no crank and Wait for 3 minutes message. If the OP already bypassed the key resistor and it worked for a while, the only other possibility that comes to mind is the module itself. A bad starter would not set that light.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwoodboule View Post
    My 94 fleetwood won't start, the passkey fault light is steady on when i try to crank it and even when it goes off the car won't start , the light just comes back on. I know it's not the ignition because I bypassed it with a resistor( resistor is 11.82 ohms as it is a number 15 key, i double checked so im 100 % sure it's correct) So what could the problem be ? Could the starter being faulty cause the passkey light to come on? any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know where to go from here and don't have the money for the dealership. Also I checked the obd and no codes came up only history 01-128, 01-142,01-143,01-144. Im the second owner and car has only 61000 miles,
    please help
    By the way, it is 11.820 kOhms not ohms.
    CODE
    RESISTOR VALUE IN OHMS
    Cadillacboy likes this.

yeah the thing is the car would run just fine with the light on and off for the past couple of months, and last tuesday got up to go to work and it just wouldnt crank anymore,and it never started since, is that a telltale sign of the actual module beeing defective or could that just be a relay or even just a bad ground somewhere? I really don't have any experience whatsoever with those damn VATS but from what i've been reading they are very troublesome

HUF

yeah the thing is the car would run just fine with the light on and off for the past couple of months, and last tuesday got up to go to work and it just wouldnt crank anymore,and it never started since, is that a telltale sign of the actual module beeing defective or could that just be a relay or even just a bad ground somewhere? I really don't have any experience whatsoever with those damn VATS but from what i've been reading they are very troublesome
    My VATs experience was limited to the broken wire and bypass as a solution. Someone with a bad module experience probably will chime in soon.
    Meanwhile check this link.
    Cadillacboy likes this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

..... really though?
    Yes, it is a pain when you get stuck and can't start your car. That whole system is too fragile. Wires break, the chip falls out of the key and a host of other problems. If I had that system I would just wire in the resistor value from a pack of resistors from radio shack and be done with it. He eventually had that done. Works great now.

I finally decided to tow my car to the dealership today Ill update later this week to let yall know what the problem was,hope this wont be too expensive

----------

by the way was this very expensive to fix ?

HUF

I finally decided to tow my car to the dealership today Ill update later this week to let yall know what the problem was,hope this wont be too expensive

----------

by the way was this very expensive to fix ?
    I do not know whether you checked out the link I have found for you, but it looks the dealer will just replace the ignition switch. That is something you could do yourself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.