94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think I may have to do my fuel pump AGAIN.. I don't trust my mechanic anymore, and I'm going ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch

I think I may have to do my fuel pump AGAIN.. I don't trust my mechanic anymore, and I'm going to do it myself. Question is, have any Fleetwood guys cut an access door in their in the trunk like the f-body guys do? Any pictures of locations to cut? Or am I pretty much reduced to dropping the tank one last time and figuring it out from underneath?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: 94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch

I would just drop the tank down. I think the F-body guys do it out of necessity. I used to have a Typhoon and people used to cut holes in the floor of those, too, because there was not enough slack in the lines to easily drop the tank down. You don't have the problem on the Cadillac.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

I just did exactly that for my wagons. I haven't tacked the Fleetwood yet. Here it is: http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t8517-in...-for-fuel-pump

Tom C.

That's awesome! Thanks! I think I'll wait for you to tackle the Fleetwood and wait for those instructions lol.. That said, if the weather clears up I may pull the trunk liner and try to figure it out myself, although ultimately while I'm not afraid to cut up the car I'm more reticent if I'm not going by someone else's instructions.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

Dropping the tank is not hard (at least to me it seems easier than going through the hassles of cutting, then rust proofing the bare metal all while the tank is in place) and it also gives you the opportunity to double check the integrity of the fuel tank straps and mounts. If I hadn't recently dropped the tank on my Wildcat, I never would have seen how much the little mounts were crumbling.
    In all likelihood, if you get a good Delco pump, the next time you'll need to drop the tank will be when the tank itself starts leaking.
    The joys of Canada....
    nebulosity likes this.

The joys of Canada indeed.. Which is why last winter was the last this car's going to see while under my ownership. She's still solid, and I want to keep it that way.

That said, I'm pretty sure my tank is plastic (possibly replaced already?), so the odds of springing it a leak are limited to something puncturing it from underneath.

Right, I was thinking the tank would be the same as the 80's since the platform is the same, but the tank is really more of a body part. I just did the tank on my 85 a few months ago as it was leaking at the seam. It hasn't been driven in the winter under my ownership and has been oil sprayed regularly, but the turned up lip on the 80's tanks still catches moisture badly.

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Dropping the tank is not hard (at least to me it seems easier than going through the hassles of cutting, then rust proofing the bare metal all while the tank is in place)
    You missed the whole point of me cutting the access door. When the fuel pumps goes, unless you're extremely lucky, it's not going to happen in your backyard. It will probably happen when you're atleast 50 or 100 miles from home; maybe 1000 miles from home. It happened to me 150 miles from home at 10 at night at a gas station. I just filled up. Needless to say, it was a big hastle; no more. It is a 1/2 hour job at most now! If you think dropping the tank to change the fuel pump on a Fleetwood, who knows where, is easier, you are sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    That's awesome! Thanks! I think I'll wait for you to tackle the Fleetwood and wait for those instructions lol.. That said, if the weather clears up I may pull the trunk liner and try to figure it out myself, although ultimately while I'm not afraid to cut up the car I'm more reticent if I'm not going by someone else's instructions.
    If I had an extra sending unit, so I could see the route of the tubes, I would make an access door for the Fleetwood.

Tom C.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

In my experience, they give you some warning before they fail. I've never had one leave me stranded, and I'm old. I've had at least 5, maybe more, fail. Cutting a hole in the floor, in my opinion, is overkill for what should be a once-in-a-vehicle's-lifetime event. But, I swapped transmissions in my GTO in a parking lot at college, so I guess my tolerance for "roadside repair" is different.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
    It is a 1/2 hour job at most now! If you think dropping the tank to change the fuel pump on a Fleetwood, who knows where, is easier, you are sadly mistaken.
    I never said dropping the tank would be easier than changing the pump through an already-cut access hatch. I said it would be easier than cutting the floor while the tank is still in the car. Personally I think taking a grinder to a piece of sheet metal inches away from a gas tank located on the blind side of the sheet metal is more risk than I'd ever want to take or would ever want a friend to take. You yourself mentioned in one of the link posts that you came dangerously close to cutting the lines. If the original poster is determined to get an access patch, dropping the tank would be at the top of my list of preparation steps.

I know most people probably wouldn't do things this way, but I'm more of a preventative maintenance person so it is a no brainer for me. When I drop a tank in my driveway, I replace the fuel pump, regardless of how well it's working. A new delco pump can run upwards of $30 on rockauto.

The way I see it, regardless I need to drop the tank - if I don't cut an access hatch, I need to. I'd rather drop the tank if I do. BUT.. if I cut the hatch then I'll theoretically never have to drop it again..

I have an increasingly sneaking suspicion that some electrical gremlins could be frying my pumps, so until that's sorted I'd rather be able to swap them easily if I keep frying them. And if not, then the peace of mind knowing I can do the job much faster if I ever need to again is good enough for me to spend the extra time cutting, sealing, painting and fab-ing a neato cover..

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Personally I think taking a grinder to a piece of sheet metal inches away from a gas tank located on the blind side of the sheet metal is more risk than I'd ever want to take or would ever want a friend to take. You yourself mentioned in one of the link posts that you came dangerously close to cutting the lines.
    I think if I were you, I would read a little more carefully. I never said I used a grinder, nor did I. I used a dremel with a 3/4 cutting wheel, think hobbiest. I probably used 20 wheels. I never mentioned that I came "dangerously close" to cutting the lines. There is ample room around the lines. I said I was dangerously close to the tank, probably a 1/2 inch away, that's why I said, drop it an inch. Why not?

I replied to the original poster who was looking for information about access panels. It's up to him to do what he wants. But, if I didn't have anything to offer or helpful to the original poster, I probably wouldn't post, and I mean that in a good way.

Tom C.

Tom. I have no issue with you showing what you did. I'm still concerned about taking a grinding wheel (cutting wheel, whatever you want to call it) that close to a 20 year old gas tank. That's all.
    Safety concerns are something I don't like to keep to myself.

If you're suspecting the pumps are doomed to burn out, then making a hatch makes sense.

nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Dropping the tank is super easy (easier than I thought, even on my first try) and it can be done by only one person. I had my husband close by to catch it if it started to tip off the jack when I lowered it, but surprisingly the tank rests snuggly in the indentation under the tank. I put together a video of the work I did. The fuel pump replacement was a complete success! I did everything myself, and I'm a girl, so there isn't any advanced skills or strength needed to do this task.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6DlVWkil4
    csbuckn likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You rock girl!
    Love the video, put a lot of us chicken guys to shame!
    You made that look simple enough that even I would try it. I subscribed to your channel and look forward to future installments. Thank you for joining the forum and for sharing your work with all of us.

Beautiful Cadillac! Can't wait to see it returned to it's glory!
    nebulosity likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.