94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks! Glad you liked the video. Wow, thanks for subscribing. More videos to come soon. My next task is putting ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: 94 Fleetwood Fuel Pump Access hatch

Thanks! Glad you liked the video. Wow, thanks for subscribing. More videos to come soon. My next task is putting the harmonic balancer back onto the crankshaft (I just did a timing chain replacement). I have to make my own tool for that so that might be an interesting video! (no crankshaft bolt, and no harmonic balancer installer kits have the right adapter).

Anyways, good luck with what you decide to do. Feel free to message me on youtube if you have any questions about fuel pump project. ...For some reason I haven't figured out how to get Cadillac forums to send notifications of messages and replies to my registered email account. I'll have to comb through the settings here again and see if I can figure it out.

----------

((Oops! Talismandave, I just realized you weren't the original posting member (Poda). Sorry about that!))

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

I really appreciate the vid Thanks! I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the hatch or not, but if I do I'll post up how I went about it.. Already have some ideas in terms of a clean finish, and looking factory which is the only way I'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    I really appreciate the vid Thanks! I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the hatch or not, but if I do I'll post up how I went about it.. Already have some ideas in terms of a clean finish, and looking factory which is the only way I'd do it.
    I went back to read some of your replies because I wasn't sure I was clear on your motive for possibly cutting an access hatch, and even in the case where you're having repetitive failures, dropping the tank more than once a day (worst case scenario) really isn't that big of an inconvenience compared to the time and risk of cutting into the Caddy.

Before you cut into the car, you'll probably, at minimum, want to know how everything is laid out underneath (and if you cut a hatch, I'd probably do it with the tank down anyway), so I'd say drop the tank, do your fuel pump replacement, re-assess whether you want to cut into your car based on your experience dropping the tank and analyzing the space you'd be cutting through, and once you've put everything back together, if you're seeing further failures and really want an access hatch, go for it. I wish I were there to walk you through the fuel pump replacement to help you resolve the issue, and possibly save you the work of cutting into your caddy. If you have any questions at all or need photos or diagrams, feel free to send me a message, and I'd be happy to help you as much as I can. I even soldered the new pump's wiring harness to the old one and got it right the first time, all with very minimal soldering experience, so if you're worried about repetitive failures because of that, I'll go dig through my photos and see if I can write a tutorial.

Good luck. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Thanks nebulosity!

I have the FSM, so wiring diagrams, etc are covered. I was planning on dropping the tank if I did this anyways, so figuring out the layout isn't going to be a problem. At the very least, I have next week off so the tank's coming down, pump, sock, etc are getting done, wiring investigated and I'll take it from there. If I have an electrical problem prompting multiple failures, it *probably* won't be at the harness at the pump or the harness running the length of the car. Both of those were replaced about 6 months ago, but then that's when my hard-start problems and stumbling under partial and full throttle started. But then, the replacement pump frying within hours and having to get done again could have messed up the harnesses again.

So yeah, if anyone has the body harness for the fuel pump on a 94-95, I'll buy it off you just in case..

This is going to come across as heresy to some, but I'm not afraid of cutting into the Caddy and in it's current shape (looks awesome from 20ft, but tons of little issues) it would take a herculean effort to bring it to concours level which is the only way I'd be fully satisfied with it. Especially when I can just get a mostly pristine example from the US for much less (which I will in the next little while). So instead, if I'm going to put that much time, money and effort into it (and because I'm sentimentally attached to this particular car for a variety of reasons), I'm going in another direction and that's going to take some pretty severe modifications - cutting a fuel pump hatch is a simple job compared to some of the other things I have planned. But again, only if it looks like the factory could have done it, which is my design and build mantra for this project.

Yeah, there'll be a build thread starting this winter
    nebulosity likes this.

Sounds like you've really got a handle on everything and and it's awesome to see you've thought it all through completely.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread this winter!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.