New to the world of Cadillacs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, New to the world of Cadillacs in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Name is Dominic, Ive been heavily into the Jeep/offroad scene for many years now. But just last week I was ...
    Hulud44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham

New to the world of Cadillacs

Name is Dominic, Ive been heavily into the Jeep/offroad scene for many years now. But just last week I was given a gift by my grandfather who sadly is not doing well. He left me his 1989 Cadillac Brougham. He was the original owner, bought it in 91' new as a left over/ left over ahaha. Has a just over 100k on it. Pretty much everything original. It runs sound but needs a lot of cosmetic work. Needs paint, suspension, rear bumper and a few other small touches.

I have little to no knowledge of Cadillacs. But I will be resorting this for him. Hopfully hes around long enough to see it done. So Ill be on here a lot in the up coming months asking a lot of dumb newb questions ahahah

First thing I need to know is whats the best option for parts???? I ve searched and everything seems really hard to come by... Looking for a bumper and the small plastic pieces that are on top of the tail fins. Both the bumper and body pieces have long rotted away. Are there any sites that specialize in old Caddy parts? Also how can I go about getting a build sheet? Any info would be really helpful. Thanks - Dominic

Here s a pic of the Caddy and blow that my pride and joy 2000 Wrangler...

Yes it gets used... ahhaa

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Welcome Dominic. Thats a nice caddy (burgundy looks nice on these old yachts). I am wondering if that is the factory top or an aftermarket/ dealer installed top. Seems an odd color combo.

For suspensionc, buy a decent set of shocks (everyone here has their own preference on shocks). IIRC, my shocks were 40 a piece to buy (I bought KYB's "performance grade" shocks)
    Does the rear of the car have air shocks (if so, a "level ride" light will come on on the dash when you start it)
    For bumpers, I would recommend junkyard ones. If you don't have junkyards near you or all the ones in your yards are rusted out, you could have one of the members here buy and ship them to you (not cheap at approx $200 a piece shipped).
    Various members here also have the bumper fillers available as well as pretty much any other part you'll need (check the parts for sale/ wanted thread- there are a few of us that pull parts for other members routinely)

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Re: New to the world of Cadillacs

That looks like a good solid car Dominic! I'm sure your grandfather is happy to be able to give it to someone that will bring it back to it's glory. Just giving it a good cleaning, shampooing the interior and cleaning the engine bay will probably make a big difference.

Good Luck

Tom

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Looks like a good candidate for restoration, Dominic! Lots of trim parts can be found at the local junkyard. You can also check USA Parts Supply and OPGI. Mechanical parts are cheap and plentiful. A lot of guys use Rock Auto for mechanical parts.

I bet your grandfather will be thrilled to see you put her back to her former glory. Good luck!

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Always wanted to climb a hillside like that. In the back of my head, I kinda wanna roll back down it too but I'm sure that get expensive. How do the four door jeeps do on the rocks? Between here and lay it low, you will get all the parts you need. Try to get them here as other sites are pricey. The back bumper comes apart so that you can have just the outer shell shipped, still a little heavy if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    Always wanted to climb a hillside like that. In the back of my head, I kinda wanna roll back down it too but I'm sure that get expensive. How do the four door jeeps do on the rocks? Between here and lay it low, you will get all the parts you need. Try to get them here as other sites are pricey. The back bumper comes apart so that you can have just the outer shell shipped, still a little heavy if I'm not mistaken.
    Yup....when I shipped a bumper from MO to PA, I shipped just the shell of the back bumper (no backing plate, bumper ends, etc) and it was just under 200 shipped (including buying the bumper, building a crate, and shipping it). The bumper and crate (which was overbuilt) weighed 70 pounds (bumper itself was 55 lbs IIRC).

Thanks for the responses. Its a pretty clean ride. It didnt see much road use.

The top is a factory instal. He had it done only a few years back. It use to match the paint. But with the black top in such good shape Im thinking about going all black with hopefully a new chrome trim package if I can find one.

As for the suspension it does have air in the rear. But I plan on taking it out and just going with coils/shocks. Im also debating on lowering it a touch. Maybe 1"- 1.5" tops. Hope that doesnt upset the purests on here ahahaha

Id like to find a bumper soon. Not sure do the Brougham bumpers come all one piece or is it modular? The only thing thats rusted is the very bottom part. Being from LongIsland I think its gonna be real hard to find one intact in a JY. If anyone knows of one please LMK.

Ive already done a few small things. Threw a new battery in, changed coolant, and oil. I had to fix the front seat. The controls stopped working. I tested everything but couldnt determine if it was motors or switches so I dissembled everything and cranked the seat back to position by hand. I was careful not to break anything to preserve for future restoration if needed. But something had to be done quick being my grandpa is 4'10" ahahahahaah

AS far as the Jeep questions, And Jeep can be built to run any kinda trails ud like. Im sure its just like Caddys or muscle cars, it take a little know how and a lotta cash ahaha But the new 4 door JKs can be very capable with the right mods. IF anyone has any Jeep or offroad questions feel free to hit me up. I actually run a pretty large Offroad Fourm called Outlawed Offroad. I wont link to it cause I dont wanna come off as a spammer but feel free to check it out I have the same screen name on there.

OH and rolling down the mountain isnt as bad as you think. Winched it back over, blew the oil out of the engine, kicked out the broken glass and wheeled the rest of the day ahaha But since then I did make a full frame tie in roll cage...

Quote Originally Posted by Hulud44
    Thanks for the responses. Its a pretty clean ride. It didnt see much road use.

The top is a factory instal. He had it done only a few years back. It use to match the paint. But with the black top in such good shape Im thinking about going all black with hopefully a new chrome trim package if I can find one.

As for the suspension it does have air in the rear. But I plan on taking it out and just going with coils/shocks. Im also debating on lowering it a touch. Maybe 1"- 1.5" tops. Hope that doesnt upset the purests on here ahahaha

Id like to find a bumper soon. Not sure do the Brougham bumpers come all one piece or is it modular? The only thing thats rusted is the very bottom part. Being from LongIsland I think its gonna be real hard to find one intact in a JY. If anyone knows of one please LMK.

Ive already done a few small things. Threw a new battery in, changed coolant, and oil. I had to fix the front seat. The controls stopped working. I tested everything but couldnt determine if it was motors or switches so I dissembled everything and cranked the seat back to position by hand. I was careful not to break anything to preserve for future restoration if needed. But something had to be done quick being my grandpa is 4'10" ahahahahaah

AS far as the Jeep questions, And Jeep can be built to run any kinda trails ud like. Im sure its just like Caddys or muscle cars, it take a little know how and a lotta cash ahaha But the new 4 door JKs can be very capable with the right mods. IF anyone has any Jeep or offroad questions feel free to hit me up. I actually run a pretty large Offroad Fourm called Outlawed Offroad. I wont link to it cause I dont wanna come off as a spammer but feel free to check it out I have the same screen name on there.

OH and rolling down the mountain isnt as bad as you think. Winched it back over, blew the oil out of the engine, kicked out the broken glass and wheeled the rest of the day ahaha But since then I did make a full frame tie in roll cage...
    If you change the rear to gas shocks, you will need to upgrade your springs to the ones for gas shocks (or upgrade from there to 9C1 caprice (cop/ taxi) springs)
    The bumpers are modular. The vertical parts ("fins") come off the horizontal bar. There is also an aluminum backing plate that is removable (so all you'd have to replace is the horizontal part). I do find nice rear bumpers on occassion. If you'd like me to pull one, LMK.
    For the seat, I'd test the power wire into the switch on the door. To do this, you will need a phillips and a standard screwdriver.
    Take the phillips screwdriver and remove the 2 screws in the plastic insert behind the pull handle.
    Take the standard screwdriver and pop off the lens on the door light next to the pull handle. There are 4 tabs on the lens, 2 on each side. Put the screwdriver next to the tabs (if you look, you can see them) and gently pop the lens out. Then remove the light insert (has 2 tabs that hold it in).
    Look up above the door handle and light area and you will see 2 phillips screws that go up into the woodgrain piece. Remove them.
    Lift up on the front of the woodgrain piece. There are 2 metal clips that hold it to the chrome frame on the back of the top of the woodgrain pics. You will need to get these off (I lift up enough to get my hand or a screwdriver back there to pop them)
    Then check the main power wire to the switch for power (don't recall the color, but if you check all the fat wires that go into the seat, the one color wire that isn't under the seat will be the power wire). Chances are there is a power wire break in the door jamb or the switch itself is bad. If you have a passengers power seat, you can try swapping the switches.
    For lowering that little, I'd recommend impala ss stock springs. The front springs are discontinued, but supposedly 90s Dodge full size van springs will work.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    The vertical parts ("fins") come off the horizontal bar. There is also an aluminum backing plate that is removable (so all you'd have to replace is the horizontal part). I do find nice rear bumpers on occassion. If you'd like me to pull one, LMK.
    If you know where theres one laying around I be very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulud44 View Post
    If you know where theres one laying around I be very interested.
    The smaller yard I go to here has about 5 new rwd caddys each month (and about half of them still have nice rear bumpers) so its just a matter of me getting there and getting a really good one before someone else gets it.

Well please LMK if you happen to make it there. As I said Im looking for just the bottom part. the rest seems to be in fairly good condition. Theres just no way Im finding anything like that up here living in the rust belt. Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.