Got another Cadillac :)
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree12Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Got another Cadillac :) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been on the lookout for another Cadillac and I found it. It's been a while since I enjoyed a ...
  1. #1
    some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 FWB triple black '86 FWB '93 Cadillac Seville 4.9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach area
    Age
    49
    Posts
    39

    Got another Cadillac :)

    I've been on the lookout for another Cadillac and I found it. It's been a while since I enjoyed a big Fleetwood Brougham. I bought this '86 Fleetwood Brougham from the son of the original owner. Only 40K original miles. It need the fillers replaced because they're very rough which is surprising because the rest of the car is nice. The interior is spot on beautiful. It's the burgundy exterior color with a slightly darker interior. It has a white top but I'm going to have it dyed a slightly darker then paint color because the white is to stark IMO.

    Anyway, I'm not sure where to post in here anymore and the site has gotten bigger so it's difficult to navigate for me.

    Photos soon
    Faith76 likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,831
    Sounds like a cool car. I like the contrasting top through....with a burgundy top it will be just another triple burgundy car. As for the fillers, they kinda fall apart no matter what. The previous owner of my 83 lesabre (who was the son of the original owner and had garaged it since new) said one day he went to take it out of the garage for the first ride of the season, and as he backed out, he saw filler chunks on the ground. Rest of the car was pretty much perfect, but the fillers disintegrated.

  4. #3
    some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 FWB triple black '86 FWB '93 Cadillac Seville 4.9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach area
    Age
    49
    Posts
    39
    Thread Starter

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Hmm, it does seem weird the fillers kind of like disintegrated/melted and pieces are missing. I'm researching what is best for the replacements. I'm a fan of the monotone look myself. I had a triple white Coupe Deville [well, it had red carpet and dash] that I never liked and a tan colored '88 Fleetwood Brougham that had a slightly darker top and interior. I sold that car on eBay years ago for big $ and I think this '86 is nicer except for the fillers. I had a '93 Seville most recently and really disliked the FWD although the body style appealed to me. I've always loved big Cadillacs, the older square style more so than the '93 up, although the LT1 engine makes for a more sporty drive. Anyway, I've been keeping an eye out and I got one heck of a deal so I'm happy, happy, happy

  5. #4
    talismandave's Avatar
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison WI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,302

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Quote Originally Posted by some-beach! View Post
    I've always loved big Cadillacs, the older square style more so than the '93 up, although the LT1 engine makes for a more sporty drive. Anyway, I've been keeping an eye out and I got one heck of a deal so I'm happy, happy, happy
    I just read in another thread that the target market for that car are dead. I am glad to see the reports of your death were greatly exaggerated!

    You must have been raised well!

    The biggest problem is we have a couple of generations under our belt that have never experienced that kind of car. It is hard to desire what you don't know.
    The Ape Man and YoshiMan like this.

  6. #5
    lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    369

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I just read in another thread that the target market for that car are dead. I am glad to see the reports of your death were greatly exaggerated!

    You must have been raised well!

    The biggest problem is we have a couple of generations under our belt that have never experienced that kind of car. It is hard to desire what you don't know.
    Yup, that is me. I'm 26, and never had much experiance with the Caddys growing up. I started with 3rd Gen Camaros. Then One day I needed a set of wheels and came across a 79 CDV all beat up for $300. I drove the hell out of that car, and was really impressed.

    8 Cadillacs later, I guess you could say i'm hooked.

    Good luck with the car, and get some pics up.
    pompste and talismandave like this.

  7. #6
    some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 FWB triple black '86 FWB '93 Cadillac Seville 4.9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach area
    Age
    49
    Posts
    39
    Thread Starter

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Funny stuff Well, I'm in my 40's and definitely not the targeted market when they were new in the showrooms but I loved them anyway My 13 year old son thinks it's just the best car ever so youth are still inspired by them to, at least mine is. My wife on the other hand dislikes my taste in these cars but what's a blonde bimbo driving a Range Rover know anyway [geez, I hope she doesn't see this] LOL!

    I won't have it until Friday when he's back in town then I'll post some photos.
    pompste, talismandave and Faith76 like this.

  8. #7
    Cadillacboy's Avatar
    Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,245

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    It's great to see such people like you loving that era Cadillacs , these are unmistakable styling and I also love them .Your posts suggest me you got good car considering it's age . I dislike bumper fillers and have see no point of using that crap plastic part in those pompous rides at all

  9. #8
    some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 FWB triple black '86 FWB '93 Cadillac Seville 4.9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach area
    Age
    49
    Posts
    39
    Thread Starter

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Sorry for the delay in following up or posting photos. I've been unexpectedly busy and it's been [and still is] raining all the time. I promise to get some photos posted soon and hopefully begin the necessary work.

    I've changed my plans with the top color. It won't be white much longer but I've decided against the burgundy shade. I found a photo of my Grand Dads old 50's Cadillac and it proved inspirational

    She runs and drives great considering how long it's been sitting up. The A/C is still cold but only blows out the bottom vents. I assume it's likely a vacuum leak as it runs a little higher than normal with a stumbled idle and will try to run on/diesel when shut off.

    I really haven't had time to investigate, just stuck it in the garage after a spin around the block on a few occasions. The neighbors have commented that it's a beautiful car.......... with missing/broken fillers and all

    More soon.................
    pompste likes this.

  10. #9
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,239

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Glad to see you post again, I thought you wife saw what you posted
    jamespowers likes this.

  11. #10
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Quote Originally Posted by some-beach! View Post
    Funny stuff Well, I'm in my 40's and definitely not the targeted market when they were new in the showrooms but I loved them anyway My 13 year old son thinks it's just the best car ever so youth are still inspired by them to, at least mine is. My wife on the other hand dislikes my taste in these cars but what's a blonde bimbo driving a Range Rover know anyway [geez, I hope she doesn't see this] LOL!

    I won't have it until Friday when he's back in town then I'll post some photos.
    I guess I am not in the target market either being about the same age and owning the same year of Brougham. I remember them when I was in high school though because a friend of mine was using his parent's Brougham---the same color that mine is now.
    talismandave likes this.

  12. #11
    Cadillacboy's Avatar
    Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,245

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Quote Originally Posted by some-beach! View Post
    Sorry for the delay in following up or posting photos. I've been unexpectedly busy and it's been [and still is] raining all the time. I promise to get some photos posted soon and hopefully begin the necessary work.

    I've changed my plans with the top color. It won't be white much longer but I've decided against the burgundy shade. I found a photo of my Grand Dads old 50's Cadillac and it proved inspirational

    She runs and drives great considering how long it's been sitting up. The A/C is still cold but only blows out the bottom vents. I assume it's likely a vacuum leak as it runs a little higher than normal with a stumbled idle and will try to run on/diesel when shut off.

    I really haven't had time to investigate, just stuck it in the garage after a spin around the block on a few occasions. The neighbors have commented that it's a beautiful car.......... with missing/broken fillers and all

    More soon.................
    Good to see you are back , A/C only blows at footwell area that's not a problem ,it's the way these cars are designed for .For what ? Well, may be to keep the occupants out of illness .Because if you let A/C blow cold in your face , things may not be good after a while lol
    Seriously, wish we could adjust these settings but I know Roadmasters' A/C should be a direct swap and it can blow either face or lower parts when you turn on A/C .I have seen some 1993-96 Fleetwood Owners swapped their A/C unit for Roadmaster
    Sorry , I don't remember who done it lol
    Happy days bro

  13. #12
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    Good to see you are back , A/C only blows at footwell area that's not a problem ,it's the way these cars are designed for .For what ? Well, may be to keep the occupants out of illness .Because if you let A/C blow cold in your face , things may not be good after a while lol
    Seriously, wish we could adjust these settings but I know Roadmasters' A/C should be a direct swap and it can blow either face or lower parts when you turn on A/C .I have seen some 1993-96 Fleetwood Owners swapped their A/C unit for Roadmaster
    Sorry , I don't remember who done it lol
    Happy days bro
    My AC blows out the defroster ducts and the bottom sometimes. It will switch to the dash vents sometimes too. It just depends on the day. I am just happy it works. Cold is cold.

  14. #13
    some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 FWB triple black '86 FWB '93 Cadillac Seville 4.9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach area
    Age
    49
    Posts
    39
    Thread Starter

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    LOL! No she didn't see that post.

    Hey guys, the A/C is supposed to blow out the upper dash vents, the heat only blows out the lower vents. I believe it's all vacuum controlled so I'll delve into that soon. Cold is good but I've got to have it blowing directly on/at me. It's so dang hot here in Myrtle Beach that I need full contact A/C

    Thanks

  15. #14
    pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    My A/C blows out of the upper dash vents and defroster,in my '78 Deville.Pretty sure that`s how it should be for those era Fleetwoods and Devilles.

  16. #15
    some-beach! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 FWB triple black '86 FWB '93 Cadillac Seville 4.9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Myrtle Beach area
    Age
    49
    Posts
    39
    Thread Starter

    Re: Got another Cadillac :)

    Ok, I finally took some photos yesterday and had my wife download and send them to me this morning so I could host and post

    The first photo is how it looked after I got it and gave it a good bath. Note the mostly disintegrated/missing fillers [I've already got the rears] but otherwise nice exterior.

    The next is the interior ~ in excellent 40k original mileage condition throughout.

    Then you'll see the progress on dying the vinyl top. I struggled with what color to choose but the stark white had to be changed, I didn't care for it at all. I was going to go with burgundy but found a photo of my Grand Dads old Cadillac and it helped make me decide. I've always loved the old cars in the deep red/burgundy color with a tan top, they just look elegant so....

    I've dyed a top before with excellent success so since it was in great shape I knew my approach. It's all in the prep, of you don't take the time to prep it, it won't be durable nor look good. Then carefully tape off the moldings, glass, etc.... and go to work......

    I first only did a corner and once satisfied I decided to proceed. Whenever going from light to dark, a mid tone should be used. My Desert Tan is a mid color so if I or anyone decided to go to Burgundy, the mid color coat is done. I think I'm happy with the tan color though. Maybe accent it with some tan pin stripes down the side [has no pin stripe currently] will look nicer....?

    Thoughts/Comments welcome.

    Thanks!











    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting