Suspension Work
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By csbuckn
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Suspension Work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think I need to get a lot of stuff replaced. I know my suspension...shocks or struts, Im not sure ...
    igotaseed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Suspension Work

I think I need to get a lot of stuff replaced. I know my suspension...shocks or struts, Im not sure need to be done and I feel as though my ride isnt stable. When I turn corners it feels like a roller coaster ride! What do I need to do to restore my 96 Fleetwood to its proper ride? What will it cost in parts in labor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Suspension Work

Center link, tie rods and idler arm are the more common things. Find an alignment shop, they are usually the cheapest. Not just a place that does alignments but a place that does only alignments and suspension work.
    igotaseed likes this.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

We had to replace bushings, tie rods , rear struts , S rod or something like this . I don't remember total cost but rear shocks were $200 as set .csbuckn is dead on

igotaseed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Thanks guys. I found a place that does a free suspension and alignment check. I'll have them write me a quote. Then I'll take it to another shop that says they will beat any written quote.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

If the parts aren't really worn out it is probably the shocks.

Rick James is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by igotaseed View Post
    Thanks guys. I found a place that does a free suspension and alignment check. I'll have them write me a quote. Then I'll take it to another shop that says they will beat any written quote.
    This is just an opinion so take it for what it's worth. If you are not doing your own work, your car will see quite a bit of shop time and you may want to build a relationship with a shop you trust.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

If you are feeling it most when you go around a corner , the first thing I would check is the sway bar links. They break all the time and let the front end sway and lift up when going around a corner.. they cost about $10 and are very easy to put in. If you look at it and its gone that's your problem. most of the time fall off after they break.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I wouldn't trust a place that advertises they do free checks. Get a second opinion from a normal garage. Having someone look at it is the only way you're going to find out what's wrong.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

The center link and idler arm were bad on both of my Fleetwoods. They are the biggest contributors to sloppy steering and wandering on the highway and are very common wear items on these cars. Not too hard to replace and make a huge difference once you get new ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.