New used engine with loads of rust in engine!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, New used engine with loads of rust in engine!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So after long days and night of swapping engines, me and my buddy finally get the rebuilt 307 in and ...
    reelheavy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 cadillac brougham

New used engine with loads of rust in engine!!!

So after long days and night of swapping engines, me and my buddy finally get the rebuilt 307 in and it is a rust trap. When we first start it. The damn car almost over heats so we check the overflow jug and its orange and brownish looking. So then drain all the we antifreeze and flush the car about 4 times with distilled water, every time a nice wad of rust coming out. So we decide to run it with out a thermostat for a while so we can keep flushing it and hoping it would not over heat. So yesterday it was about 90 degrees outside we went for a 10 minute drive and by the time we got back to the garage the car was overheating.

It is a used 307 with 5a heads and was rebuilt about a year and a half ago. Is there any chemicals we could use to try and get the rust out if the engine before I ship the car back to Philadelphia to the ******* who sold me the motor and get my money back??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Any smoke out the exhaust? Are you still running water and no thermastat? Hows the fluid look now?

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: New used engine with loads of rust in engine!!!

What condition is the radiator in? Is there enough airflow across the radiator? Clutch fan could be cricked and the radiator could have arterial sclerosis.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Maybe try some CLR?

The engine probably wasn't rebuilt. It was probably pulled from a car that sat outside, or, the engine was pulled, then sat out in the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Any smoke out the exhaust? Are you still running water and no thermastat? Hows the fluid look now?
    I just came form running the car, I am still running it without a thermostat, and there is no exhaust smoke, and I ran it for about 15 minutes after I refilled it with water and I popped the radiator cap off an the water is rust color with rust particles all in it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    What condition is the radiator in? Is there enough airflow across the radiator? Clutch fan could be cricked and the radiator could have arterial sclerosis.
    Radiator is in good condition is was in way better condition than the one that came with the new engine. and there is plenty of airflow.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Maybe try some CLR?

The engine probably wasn't rebuilt. It was probably pulled from a car that sat outside, or, the engine was pulled, then sat out in the weather.
    So with the CLR how should I do it? put it in and run it for a while then flush it??

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Leave the thermostat out, get a jug - or two - of Prestone cooling system flush. Nasty chemical. Change the water, add flush, drive. Dump it (don't ask about the EPA) and do it again. Pretty clean ???? Flush with good ol' garden hose fresh water. Don't worry about the distilled water thing with an iron block engine - Fill to proper cold level with 50/50 green coolant/water and drive - keeping a weather eye on coolant temps. Sometime later this summer, change the coolant again.

50/50 coolant: One gallon of coolant, one gallon of water, a 2 quart pitcher. Pour 1/2 the water into the pitcher. Pour 1/2 the coolant into the water jug. Pour the pitcher of water into the coolant jug. 2 gallons of mixed coolant and a clean pitcher.

Where are you in the great state of Maryland (If you can dream it, we can tax it !) ?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I'd definately keep flushing. Disconnect the heat core so it doesnt get clogged.
    cadillac_al likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Leave the thermostat out, get a jug - or two - of Prestone cooling system flush. Nasty chemical. Change the water, add flush, drive. Dump it (don't ask about the EPA) and do it again. Pretty clean ???? Flush with good ol' garden hose fresh water. Don't worry about the distilled water thing with an iron block engine - Fill to proper cold level with 50/50 green coolant and drive - keeping a weather eye on coolant temps. Sometime later this summer, change the coolant again.

Where are you in the great state of Maryland (If you can dream it, we can tax it !) ?
    What the hell is Nasty Chemical?? And I am in southern Maryland. Waldorf, MD.

Cooling system flush is a caustic, rust-eating, oil-eating combination of poisons.

How's your tobacco crop this year ??

Cooling system flush is a caustic, rust-eating, oil-eating combination of poisons.
    oh ok cool. I am going to keep flushing her out, and hope like hell she's a keeper. And call the guy I brought it from tomorrow morning and get the real scoop on the engine because I believe it had to sit outside for a extended period of time.

How's your tobacco crop this year ??
    After we spoke yesterday I put the garden hose to the radiator an ran the car flushing it for a good 2 hours, taking samples of the end result coming out of the radiator.

So today while I was at work my mechanic was at the garage messing with the car, and he we ahead and put a Thermostat in it and some fresh coolant. And adjusted the carb. So I got home drove the car. It started right up, sounds like a new car, and went for a cruise, I drove about 30 minutes I came back to the garage popped the hood and their was no smoke coming from anywhere on the engine, The antifreeze was not bubbling, and the car did not sound weak while idling. So what is next? should I take it for a longer drive?, flush it? or what?

----------

http://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/ya/down...Inbox&inline=1

----------

That link is the picture of the samples I took while flushing the car. The bottle of the right was when I first started, the one in the middle was at the 1 hour mark. and the bottle on the left was the sample right before I finished.

Your link is dead, but you should now be OK.

just for clarity how can you tell if your engine is overheating?? and here is the picture.
    Attached Images
    talismandave likes this.

Your link is dead, but you should now be OK.
    just for clarity how can you tell if your engine is overheating?? and here is the picture.

Your question: A REAL temperature gauge - the kind that actually moves in response to engine coolant temp changes. If your engine is supposed to use a 180 degree thermostat, it should run at 185 - 205 all day long - modified by any A/C (compressor) use and traffic conditions. If the car uses electric cooling fan(s) then they will determine the average coolant temps - within the thermostat band - that you see.

50/50 coolant pressurized to 16 psi boils at 265 degrees, so somewhere around 240 - 250 is dangerously hot. True overheat occurs at boilover. GM allows a max 70/30 coolant/water mix, and that boils under pressure at 275 ...............

The left bottle - do another flush before you refill with 50/50 coolant. Do a drain and refill in October. Not only does coolant mix raise the boiling point of the mix, it also prevents the rusty snot you're cleaning out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.