79 sedan deville interior lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 79 sedan deville interior lights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I have a 79 sedan deville and I'm having a problem with the interior lights. If I put ...
    vicello93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 sedan deville

79 sedan deville interior lights

Hi all, I have a 79 sedan deville and I'm having a problem with the interior lights. If I put the fuse in, it stays on even with the door closed and car on. I changed the door switch on the drivers door, but still didn't work. Before I change any other switches, any thought on what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by vicello93
    Hi all, I have a 79 sedan deville and I'm having a problem with the interior lights. If I put the fuse in, it stays on even with the door closed and car on. I changed the door switch on the drivers door, but still didn't work. Before I change any other switches, any thought on what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!
    Have you checked the headlight switch to see if the part that turns on the interior lights is on?

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 79 sedan deville interior lights

Rotate the headlight switch counter clockwise!!! When on, are they bright or somewhat dim?

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Or check the lighters for anything metal that may have fallen in. Once a penny fell in the under dash ash tray and caused lights to be on

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Grounds. grounds, grounds.

Yeah headlight switch is off, no metal in the lighters.. Now, the grounds, under my dash is a mess of wires, what should I look for? They all work just stay lit

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    Rotate the headlight switch counter clockwise!!! When on, are they bright or somewhat dim?
    They are very bright, even if I turn the headlight switch they still the same intensity , but the speedometer ac and fuel light they go bright and low when I turn, just the other lights that don't

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

On a 12v system the grounds are always black and fairly heavy guage. Take off any grounds that you find just to see if the contact point is corroded or chalky looking, then wire brush it clean and replace using a dab of dieelectric grease. Remember the grounds are everywhere .

Quote Originally Posted by SafariOne
    On a 12v system the grounds are always black and fairly heavy guage. Take off any grounds that you find just to see if the contact point is corroded or chalky looking, then wire brush it clean and replace using a dab of dieelectric grease. Remember the grounds are everywhere .
    Ill try that today. Thanks!

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Does this car have "illuminated entry option"? meaning that as the driver door handle is pressed with the car locked, the interior lights come on. It would also have a little triangle lens on that door handle to shine down on the door lock cylinder. If so, there could be a problem inside the drivers door by the handle. There's a trigger switch activated by pressing on the handle button.

Can it also be caused by the door pin switch wire being loose from behind the kick panel on either side perhaps? I'll check my manual though for an 80, the wiring is the same..

----------

It xan also be the illuminated entry timer, the timer keeps the lights on for about 20 seconds, when ignition switch is in run or bulb test or start
    voltage is applied through the GA-TRANS FUSE and the PNK/BLK wire to terminal E. The lights go out, even if the 20 seconds are not up

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    Does this car have "illuminated entry option"? meaning that as the driver door handle is pressed with the car locked, the interior lights come on. It would also have a little triangle lens on that door handle to shine down on the door lock cylinder. If so, there could be a problem inside the drivers door by the handle. There's a trigger switch activated by pressing on the handle button.
    No it does have it.. I checked to make sure, even pulled the sort panel out and no wires too

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe
    Can it also be caused by the door pin switch wire being loose from behind the kick panel on either side perhaps? I'll check my manual though for an 80, the wiring is the same..

----------

It xan also be the illuminated entry timer, the timer keeps the lights on for about 20 seconds, when ignition switch is in run or bulb test or start
    voltage is applied through the GA-TRANS FUSE and the PNK/BLK wire to terminal E. The lights go out, even if the 20 seconds are not up
    Ill check that, but usually doesn't go off at all even after minutes

Could it be a fuse or relay?

Remove the door pin switch by using I think a 10 mm socket and pull out, disconnect white wire to it. Hopefully lights will go out

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe
    Remove the door pin switch by using I think a 10 mm socket and pull out, disconnect white wire to it. Hopefully lights will go out
    It worked, but after I was putting things away it went back on. Now, when I was putting the switch back on the drivers door I got shocked many times but if I pressed the switch the lights went off, after a while I wasn't getting the shock sparks and the lights stayed on. Could it be a ground wire somewhere that is having a short?

Could be the wire leading away from the door pin switch that is causing it to turn on. If it's still unconnected, touch the wire to metal, lights come on, right. If the lights no longer coming on is a concern to you, then just tape the wire with electrical tape and tuck the wire away..
    Or you can have a faulty door pin switch..they're inexpensive or you can get them free at the salvage yard, lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.