Cadillac Owners Forum banner

79 sedan deville interior lights

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  vicello93 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 79 sedan deville and I'm having a problem with the interior lights. If I put the fuse in, it stays on even with the door closed and car on. I changed the door switch on the drivers door, but still didn't work. Before I change any other switches, any thought on what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
Yeah headlight switch is off, no metal in the lighters.. Now, the grounds, under my dash is a mess of wires, what should I look for? They all work just stay lit

----------

carnut said:
Rotate the headlight switch counter clockwise!!! When on, are they bright or somewhat dim?
They are very bright, even if I turn the headlight switch they still the same intensity , but the speedometer ac and fuel light they go bright and low when I turn, just the other lights that don't

#7 ·
On a 12v system the grounds are always black and fairly heavy guage. Take off any grounds that you find just to see if the contact point is corroded or chalky looking, then wire brush it clean and replace using a dab of dieelectric grease. Remember the grounds are everywhere .

#8 ·
SafariOne said:
On a 12v system the grounds are always black and fairly heavy guage. Take off any grounds that you find just to see if the contact point is corroded or chalky looking, then wire brush it clean and replace using a dab of dieelectric grease. Remember the grounds are everywhere .
Ill try that today. Thanks!

#9 ·
Does this car have "illuminated entry option"? meaning that as the driver door handle is pressed with the car locked, the interior lights come on. It would also have a little triangle lens on that door handle to shine down on the door lock cylinder. If so, there could be a problem inside the drivers door by the handle. There's a trigger switch activated by pressing on the handle button.

#10 ·
Can it also be caused by the door pin switch wire being loose from behind the kick panel on either side perhaps? I'll check my manual though for an 80, the wiring is the same..

----------

It xan also be the illuminated entry timer, the timer keeps the lights on for about 20 seconds, when ignition switch is in run or bulb test or start
voltage is applied through the GA-TRANS FUSE and the PNK/BLK wire to terminal E. The lights go out, even if the 20 seconds are not up

#11 ·
carnut said:
Does this car have "illuminated entry option"? meaning that as the driver door handle is pressed with the car locked, the interior lights come on. It would also have a little triangle lens on that door handle to shine down on the door lock cylinder. If so, there could be a problem inside the drivers door by the handle. There's a trigger switch activated by pressing on the handle button.
No it does have it.. I checked to make sure, even pulled the sort panel out and no wires too

----------

1980coupe said:
Can it also be caused by the door pin switch wire being loose from behind the kick panel on either side perhaps? I'll check my manual though for an 80, the wiring is the same..

----------

It xan also be the illuminated entry timer, the timer keeps the lights on for about 20 seconds, when ignition switch is in run or bulb test or start
voltage is applied through the GA-TRANS FUSE and the PNK/BLK wire to terminal E. The lights go out, even if the 20 seconds are not up
Ill check that, but usually doesn't go off at all even after minutes

#14 ·
1980coupe said:
Remove the door pin switch by using I think a 10 mm socket and pull out, disconnect white wire to it. Hopefully lights will go out
It worked, but after I was putting things away it went back on. Now, when I was putting the switch back on the drivers door I got shocked many times but if I pressed the switch the lights went off, after a while I wasn't getting the shock sparks and the lights stayed on. Could it be a ground wire somewhere that is having a short?

#15 ·
Could be the wire leading away from the door pin switch that is causing it to turn on. If it's still unconnected, touch the wire to metal, lights come on, right. If the lights no longer coming on is a concern to you, then just tape the wire with electrical tape and tuck the wire away..
Or you can have a faulty door pin switch..they're inexpensive or you can get them free at the salvage yard, lol

#16 ·
1980coupe said:
Could be the wire leading away from the door pin switch that is causing it to turn on. If it's still unconnected, touch the wire to metal, lights come on, right. If the lights no longer coming on is a concern to you, then just tape the wire with electrical tape and tuck the wire away..
Or you can have a faulty door pin switch..they're inexpensive or you can get them free at the salvage yard, lol
It's a new pin actually, they do come on but when I put the fuse in even with the door closed it stays on. It worked fine for like 10 minutes but it stays on now. Btw the Ga trans fuse was melted... Should I be concerned? It's a 20 fuse, I looked on the car manual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.